PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks shipping container Explodes in PA

Birdman
06-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Fireworks shipping container Explodes in PA (https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2020/06/fireworks-were-in-shipping-container-before-explosion-police-say.html)

Just yesterday I was asked about storing fireworks safely in the heat. I looked it up to be sure I was giving accurate information and confirmed they can withstand high temperatures without igniting and that they need to come in contact with a flame.

Unfortunately there's not many answers in the news report. My guess is someone was doing something that they shouldn't have been for this to happen.

tonyr
06-10-2020, 02:32 PM
I was reading a couple of different state guidelines on Management and Disposal of Damaged, Unused, or Unexploded Consumer Fireworks. All of them say that if fireworks get wet and are allowed to dry out, they become unstable and spontaneous combustion can occur. Just a thought.

Here is one for reference
https://www.kdheks.gov/waste/techguide/HW-2009-G1.pdf

Rocketshooter
06-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Was there 1.3 in there? Was the owner manufacturing something? Many questions to be answered.

jsifue2
06-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Was there 1.3 in there? Was the owner manufacturing something? Many questions to be answered.

For sure, not enough facts as it still under investigation.

Whether this was due to negligence or a freak accident, its not good for the hobby.

Fulliautomatix
06-10-2020, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately there was a fatality. 50yr old Brian Ehret, the owner/occupant of the home. Article states that he was found dead in the yard. So I have to imagine he perished in the fire, or immediately thereafter.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh-county/2020/06/coroner-identifies-man-found-dead-at-fireworks-explosion-site.html

In the news photo it looks like 2 containers. 1 of them is possible a metal garden shed. If you look at satellite imagery* there is a shipping container, and a garden shed, but I don't know how old that imagery is. Fortunately it looks like they are both a good distance from anyone's home.

*8439 Orchard Road, Zionsville, PA

Fulliautomatix
06-10-2020, 04:20 PM
Definitely 2 shipping containers. Additionally, based on the comments from some of the people responding on FB, the fellow had materials which he shouldn't have in those containers.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=910913522665786&ref=watch_permalink
https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/coroner-called-after-explosion-in-lower-milford-township/article_405d03a8-aa89-11ea-bd94-cf41396618aa.html

Arclight
06-10-2020, 04:39 PM
I looked into getting EX numbers for a blasting product I have been testing. You specifically have to do a "thermal stability test" where either the whole product or samples of all of the ingredients have to be weighed out, heated to 167F for 48 hours and then weighed and checked for any type of combustion or degradation.

It seems unlikely that approved product in its original packaging would spontaneously combust.

jamisonlm3
06-10-2020, 05:37 PM
I have to agree that it's very unlikely that the fireworks spontaneously combusted. Fireworks are stored and shipped all over the country in those containers and don't do that unless something made them. What I find interesting is the condition of the containers. One of them is almost completely twisted and manged and the other has a side blown out toward the other. It almost seems like there was a chain reaction between the two. One blew out into the other which them really exploded. The condition of the tree is also interesting. Was the explsion from the one container so strong and so suddent hat it blew all the leaves of the threes?

Fulliautomatix
06-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Shoooot... reading through comments of the locals there's video shot by the neighbor as they rescued one of the guys. The woman said the man had a compound fracture of the leg. In the video you can hear the man say that he thinks *Brian is in the trailer*. Another commenter says that Brian made his own shells.

Robbro097
06-10-2020, 06:07 PM
Looking at the shape of that container and ppl on fb who say it busted out ppls windows and could feel there house shake miles away id say def a mass detonation which from what i heard is very uncommon with 1.4 fireworks but 1.3-1.1 they mass detonate. Id guess all the fireworks that were going off afterwards was the 1.4. As stated above tons of those containers full make there way across ocean the states then stores all over country. i kno weve had some hot days but nothing that could come even remotely close to causing them to go off on there own.

Birdman
06-10-2020, 06:43 PM
I just spoke to my brother who lives about 3 miles from the location. He could hear and feel it when it happened. Rumor has it he was manufacturing fireworks. I think it's safe to assume it wasn't 1.4g.

Mattp
06-11-2020, 05:47 AM
just speculation... but looking at the distance of those containers from any occupied houses... they may have been approved for storage .. and he could have been a holder of a type 54...or manufacturing for personal use.. which is all legal... and looking at the damage to that container... no way it was 1.4.. until they investigate who knows... could've gotten out of his truck(which is also all burnt up),, had some static and touch the wrong thing.. maybe he smoked way to close to it... maybe he was wiring up and smacked a match head to hard or a static discharge set one off... so many possibilities to speculate... have to see what they find when they investigate... tragic that someone died .. but definitely not a good look for the hobbyist

PyroJoeNEPA
06-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Maybe, could have, rumor has it, someone said he was miking stuff,maybe he was smoking, sheesh!!!----come on guys, chill out on the unfounded rumors and speculation.
A pyro brother is dead...let the alphabets do their job and determine --as best as they can--what happened. Don't speculate or spread rumors.
It is tragic, but unfortunately we work with very dangerous products and must never let our guard down. Something went very wrong here.
Take a moment and reflect on your own safety protocols and be thankful that we are able to do this as a profession [ or hobby].
Be safe.
BTW--we just unloaded a container in 98 degree weather--probably 110or more in the back of the conex---no concerns of "spontaneous combustion". More concerned about the crew dehydrating than anything else. And, yes, product is coming in from China.

hatsgoods
06-11-2020, 12:58 PM
if you look at the news clip that had the neighbors video it was 1.3 denfinley in there as you can see flash explasons meaning flash broken breaks id not pure 1.3 salutes

Scotty Rockets
06-11-2020, 03:26 PM
So much is gonna come out of this disaster... There is history here that most are not yet aware of. Stay tuned folks

Rick_In_Tampa
06-12-2020, 02:27 AM
There's no way a bunch of 500G cakes made that happen. Not a chance. This guy was doing something shady in there. I'd be willing to bet we're going to hear the words "flash powder" before this is all over. Or "meth lab."

Mattp
06-17-2020, 09:57 PM
Maybe, could have, rumor has it, someone said he was miking stuff,maybe he was smoking, sheesh!!!----come on guys, chill out on the unfounded rumors and speculation.
A pyro brother is dead...let the alphabets do their job and determine --as best as they can--what happened. Don't speculate or spread rumors.
It is tragic, but unfortunately we work with very dangerous products and must never let our guard down. Something went very wrong here.
Take a moment and reflect on your own safety protocols and be thankful that we are able to do this as a profession [ or hobby].
Be safe. .

Exactly the point I was trying to make... but may not read to someone else.. the way it sounded in my head

FinnAmerican
06-28-2020, 06:43 PM
I found out from someone that the man killed was an "importer" of Fireworks.

displayfireworks1
06-28-2020, 09:19 PM
Lets try not to speculate. Lets follow the news reports. It takes a while sometimes, we can just follow it.