PDA

View Full Version : Small stuff Fireworks

FinnAmerican
06-08-2020, 08:53 PM
I understand that a lot of you mainly stick to shooting cakes and mortars for the holidays.
Do you also make time for the smaller stuff (aerial/ground spinners, rockets, firecrackers, strobes, fountains, smoke device, ect...)

morrison2951
06-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Ummm.... nope. ;)

rfgonzo
06-08-2020, 09:12 PM
I use 1.4 pro Strobes if that counts.....

Robbro097
06-08-2020, 09:52 PM
I get a case every few years of firecrackers and bottle rockets just to play with when bored (i live in city so i dont shoot good stuff where i live) iv also become a big fan of handheld fountains. I get a handful of tanks poopy puppys chicken laying egg novelty type stuff every year just for laughs. And some spinners buzzbang by sky bacon is a good 1 with a nice little pop to it. So i guess my answer is yes lol

Berserker23
06-08-2020, 10:09 PM
Used to but i’m so tired by the end of the day on the 4th of July, I’ll shoot Roman candles if I have extras or shoot a canister shell if one of my neighbors is shooting them because I feel like it’s a competition ������

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2020, 04:59 AM
I have been trying more and more to incorporate ground effects in my show. Last year I had gerbs going off continuously through one song. I've used strobes and flame pots and fountains too. This year (if all goes as planned) I'm going to have 24 flame pots going off at the same time and light up the entire shoot site with different color flame. I'm using Cobra quick cue slats for the first time; and there's going to be some series wiring going on; so it should be interesting to see what works and what doesn't.

Rocketshooter
06-09-2020, 10:55 AM
I love all types of fireworks. While I don't have time for the small stuff on the 4th, ( working all day on the show), I do play around with various smaller items
the rest of the time.

nayslayer
06-09-2020, 11:38 AM
I do, me and kids mess with small stuff most of the year.

minute_man777
06-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Every year I buy smaller stuff to light off before the big stuff and it helps to give me 3+ hours of fireworks fun. Firecrackers and bottle rockets during the daylight, then on to novelties, fountains, and whatever I randomly pick up at the fireworks store. Lately I been pretty big on adult snaps and ground bloom flowers.

ttam23
06-13-2020, 01:46 AM
yes make time for the smaller stuff (aerial/ground spinners, rockets, firecrackers, strobes, fountains, smoke devices , novelties ,and roman candles . I buy all types of fireworks. on a side note A mortar is not a firework . A mortar is what the firework is shot from

Jay_
06-13-2020, 09:55 AM
Ladybugs, crackle balls, smoke, and parachutes are a staple every year.

Ladybugs are honestly one of my favorite fireworks made period.

Icooclast
06-13-2020, 01:34 PM
other than when i was a kid: i was never really much of a small stuff fan. except for firecrackers and bottle/mid size stick rockets. still like those (not a big fan of bottle rockets anymore) but still like firecrackers and mid size stick rockets, though.

Pyro6
06-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Those mandarin large red snaps are really loud! Lots of pop for such little things!! Lots of fun

Arclight
06-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Does anyone make a nice ~1" diameter tube parachute device? I have been looking for these to reload my 26.5mm flare launcher shells.

RalphieJ
06-15-2020, 05:58 PM
other than when i was a kid: i was never really much of a small stuff fan. except for firecrackers and bottle/mid size stick rockets. still like those (not a big fan of bottle rockets anymore) but still like firecrackers and mid size stick rockets, though.

Want to bring the fun back with bottle rockets? Take a gross, unwrap all 12 dozen, drop all but one into a 6" mortar, light one and drop it in. A sure way to rekindle your interest in them, I guarantee!

MontanaMike
06-15-2020, 07:53 PM
If our show is set-up in time, we'll spend the evening with some of the kids lighting small stuff. I enjoy that, either participating or just watching.
'
Last year we had threats of rain all day on the 4th so we didn't start setting our show up until mid-afternoon (we usually start about 8 AM). So we were scrambling a bit. But got er done!

Robbro097
06-15-2020, 08:19 PM
This thread made me take a better look at my novelty stash and was looking kinda low so made another American wholesale order with just novelty and a few fountains. When i was young i didnt care for that stuff always wanted to get to the booms but i really enjoy em now a days

MidwestPyrotechnics
06-16-2020, 08:30 AM
My big show last year I incorporated Catherine Wheels into the finale and it seemed to go over pretty well. This year Im taking 4 500 gram fountains and assigning them all to the same cue across 4 fields. Hoping it will have a decent response. Ive also played with the idea of taking multiple 16K firecracker strings and setting them up on a platform in a similar matter. I dont know if that one would be neat or just plain annoying though. I love playing with the small novelty stuff but i cant justify buying 200 pooping elephants from my wholesale vendor, and i hate paying retail prices for things knowing what they paid for them.

FinnAmerican
06-23-2020, 06:25 PM
I cannot celebrate a Fireworks holiday without the small stuff...

upNdown
06-23-2020, 09:24 PM
I can take it or leave it. This year, with lower budgets and fewer out-of-state purchasing trips, me and my buddy never grabbed any. I was talking to his wife (our host) the other night and she bemoaned the fact that we'd be having a party this year with no sparklers or chickens laying balloons (she's easily amused.) So I jumped online an ordered some - I needed some extra fuse anyway. They're illegal in MA, but there are plenty of places that will ship novelties. If only all of life's problems were solved of simply.

FinnAmerican
06-08-2021, 10:34 PM
~I've never had these Novelty /Safe and Sane "Pulling Fireworks" before...Their bang is really surprising for what they are...

Salutecake
06-09-2021, 06:32 AM
Lol FinnAmerican, years and years ago, when these types of things started to hit the stores this time of the year, we use to hook them up to everything. Glove box in cars, microphones in the trucks we had, any door you could make them work, desk drawers, everyone was on guard and anyone was not immune to a boom. I would imagine it is not a good thing to do then or today (disclaimer).

Salutecake
06-09-2021, 06:35 AM
I have to ask my son, but it seems like we always had firecrackers and bottle rockets to play with the day of the fourth, now I can't remember having those in the past 3 years or so.
For smaller stuff next year I think we are going to incorporate some proximate effects.

RalphieJ
06-09-2021, 08:55 AM
My son-in-law and I like to spread several boxes of adult snaps on the road in front of the house. A few cars will slow, but most just speed on by (too busy talking on the phone maybe?). Either way, we still giggle like a couple of kids...........

Kooooou
06-09-2021, 12:36 PM
July 3rd every year is our fun small stuff shoot. Usually there are a lot of fountains, smoke items, smaller floral rockets, planes, helicopters, bees, tube fireworks, parachutes, roman candles, and if we're feeling brave, missiles. We avoid bottle rockets and firecrackers for no particular reason.

wingman
06-09-2021, 02:58 PM
As a kid from the 80s, I pretty much thrived off of "smalls". Never could afford anything more than a Saturn missile battery, a couple fountains, ground bloom flowers and a few packs of jumping jacks back then. Each year since probably 1996,, I've been buying mostly smalls with the exception of a few boxes of cans and ball shell here and there. I haven't been lighting much off during each season so it's pretty much amounted to a prepaid fireworks stand at this point, so really no need to buy more for now! It's always a good idea to buy a little more than you might want to shoot each year and set some aside, especially for the very reasons of what the market is going through at this time.

Engineer Cat
06-09-2021, 04:43 PM
I usually load up on novelties once a year so I have random stuff to play with throughout the year when I'm not shooting stuff. Smoke bombs for sure. Love the smell.

upNdown
06-09-2021, 05:13 PM
I'm usually working all day on setup and don't have time to mess around with novelties. Hopefully extra prep work will curb the all day setup this year, so I bought some stuff. I like smoke bombs. A strip of firecrackers is always better than I think it will be. I bought these this year - never bought wheels before - these ones actually come with a pole so you can hold them, but I'll probably end up nailing them to a stake or a fence. But I'm excited.
https://youtu.be/qdacjrofXoI

FinnAmerican
06-09-2021, 06:25 PM
~I made sure to stock up on crackling Magic Whips and adult red snaps... Small fun stuff...

FinnAmerican
06-09-2021, 06:26 PM

upNdown
06-09-2021, 07:27 PM
~I made sure to stock up on crackling Magic Whips and adult red snaps... Small fun stuff...

Now you need to find the bigger, louder adult snaps. The only brand I've seen so fare are Mega Snaps. They come 15 to a box instead of 20. They look at least 33% bigger, and they're noticeably louder, for sure.

Greenville Pyro
06-09-2021, 08:22 PM
I usually load up on novelties once a year so I have random stuff to play with throughout the year when I'm not shooting stuff. Smoke bombs for sure. Love the smell.

I thought it was just me that loved smoke balls. Crackle balls too.

Icooclast
06-10-2021, 03:12 AM
when i do get fireworks i always try to get firecrackers. used to try and get bottle rockets too, just for fun, but most places i've encountered them tapes the fuse to the stick, which usually smothers the flame or make the fuse fall out when you take the tape off. so i stopped getting them. still like firecrackers, though.