PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Middle Georgia

gecko2015
06-08-2020, 05:29 PM
Finally made an account after following Dave - Displayfireworks1 for a little over a year now. This year will be our 4th year in a row hosting a fireworks show and they just keep getting bigger :cool:. Wife and I had our biggest July 4th show last year that was all single-fused into about a 15 minute show of 6 200g cakes, 20 500g, cakes and 60 mortars. All went surprisingly perfect after extensive fuse-timing tests and hours of watching various timings of the cakes on YT. But I'm not doing that again. While it went fine, I was sweating profusely at the idea of not being able to stop the show for emergencies and the tens of hours of work measuring and cutting everything out!

This year will be our first year using the cheap-o remote firing systems on Ebay: the Bilusocn 12q remote and a 24q 1200 Bilusocn with some Firewire initiators from MJG. But after this we're definitely investing in a Cobra system. Next step is to also buy Dave's DVD to get licensed so we can get into a bit of the 1.3g stuff.

Just wish there was some more pyrotechnic training/certifications around me - the majority of it seems to be in the North or Midwest :(

So if anyone is out there from middle GA. let me know!

Also, can't thank Dave enough for the hundreds of hours of helpful content he's posted on YT. Thank you! It's answered many questions, especially regarding remote firing.

displayfireworks1
06-08-2020, 07:36 PM
Nice to see some of the southern states signing on to pyrotalk.com forums. Every time I meet someone from the southern states I hear my fireworks videos have a good following in that area. I better post the same thing on that Alabama post so he does not feel left out. LOL
Thank you for detailing your pyrotechnic history. Many have followed the exact path and progression as you are describing. Stick around we will advance you as your time and budget allow. One of my advertisers J and M Displays shoots displays in your state and all of that southern region of United States. I usually announce training opportunities through social media and the pyrotalk forums. You just need to get your frame of mind ready for the July 4th holiday in April when the classes are held. Many Cobra uses start out with the import wireless systems. Once you move into wireless fireworks systems you will only use the long fuse for rows of artillery shells and or other special effects. On a side note, I love it when a long fuse fireworks enthusiast moves into electrical firing. It is easier than ever now that the non ATF regulated MJG Initiators are available.

gecko2015
06-08-2020, 10:19 PM
I certainly look forward to any further education I can use in the field Dave. I don't use social media (at-least in the terms of Facebook), but I am on YouTube quite a lot on my free time. I'll have to keep an eye out for your posts of any potential training opportunities now that I'm signed up on the forum.
I
f it wasn't for your videos I wouldn't have progressed as much as I have. Everything from your techniques, to safety, to general subject-knowledge, you've opened a gate to something that many believe is locked or doesn't exist. So come this week, I'm going to be buying your DVD as I already know next year will be even more (or at the very least more choreographed).

After saving up, then will come the Cobra system late this year to early next year. Then come April I'll be looking for those classes - hopefully if one is available near me.

Thanks for all you do and getting people safely into a hobby by spreading information that very few willingly offer.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2020, 04:42 AM
Welcome aboard gecko! Sounds like you really caught the pyro bug! More importantly, so has your wife!! That's awesome. Pyro is much more fun when you have someone to share your passion with. When that person is your wife, all the better.

I started out just like you and I've been doing pyromusicals with a Cobra system for the past 3 years now. You're going to love it. It's a ton of work for 15 minutes of pyro, but it's a labor of love.

No pressure but... Cobra gear always goes on sale around the holidays. They usually run a black Friday special too. So you'll want to be on the lookout for that..

Again, welcome aboard!

gecko2015
06-11-2020, 12:45 AM
Welcome aboard gecko! Sounds like you really caught the pyro bug! More importantly, so has your wife!! That's awesome. Pyro is much more fun when you have someone to share your passion with. When that person is your wife, all the better.

I started out just like you and I've been doing pyromusicals with a Cobra system for the past 3 years now. You're going to love it. It's a ton of work for 15 minutes of pyro, but it's a labor of love.

No pressure but... Cobra gear always goes on sale around the holidays. They usually run a black Friday special too. So you'll want to be on the lookout for that..

Again, welcome aboard!

Thank you Rick!

Oh she loves it! We'll both sit down for many hours months before the 4th picking out very specific fireworks for our show. She's likes to try to choreograph it with various effects, colors, and timing. Then I'm the one that gets sweaty work of doing the extensive fuse timing test and measuring out the fuse and cutting to the exact length of it's burn rate LOL! I don't mind it though. I'm just glad she enjoys the final product as much as I do like you said.

This year will be our first attempt at a pyromusical with the cheap-o import system. I've been testing, testing, and testing and so far everything is looking good. I've got the songs and queues memorized, which of course I'll have to set off manually.

That said, it's always good to hear from someone who's much farther ahead of me doing pyromusicals with the Cobra system. It definitely sets that goal that I want to reach to make it a bit more user friendly; and more importantly, reliable.

One of these days, I'll get me that Cobra system!

minute_man777
06-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum gecko! Investing in a Cobra system is definitely in my plans for next year as well. Cheers from Florida!