PDA

View Full Version : 60g Consumer cans seem stronger than 3" 1.3

PyroKing31
06-08-2020, 06:26 AM
Fired some new 60G 1.4 Cans this weekend from a few different brands top quality shells and then fired some 3" 1.3. The height difference is nearly double on the 3"s but they seem to be not as big as I expected and not nearly as loud as the 60G cans.

Anyone else experience this or are the Crown Pyro brand just a little weak? They were noticeable cheaper than the Lidu shells so I'm wondering if that's a reason for it.

Thanks

Mattp
06-08-2020, 11:36 AM
ive never used that brand before... but i have never fired a 3" shell that i would even consider comparing to a consumer product... i really dont know,, but maybe those shells arent so good..LOL

BMoore
06-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Fired some new 60G 1.4 Cans this weekend from a few different brands top quality shells and then fired some 3" 1.3. The height difference is nearly double on the 3"s but they seem to be not as big as I expected and not nearly as loud as the 60G cans.

Anyone else experience this or are the Crown Pyro brand just a little weak? They were noticeable cheaper than the Lidu shells so I'm wondering if that's a reason for it.

Thanks

I think your observation on the height difference is the key. A 1.75" shell breaking closer to the ground may seem bigger than a 1.3 breaking further up. A 3" shell is about 120 grams so figure twice a 60G shell. If it goes twice the height then the perspective from the ground is going to be similar. I shoot 3" mixed with 60G cans. I place my 3" about 100 feet further from the audience and they blend nicely. You get better effects, longer lasting colors, nice round breaks with the 3's, but I agree they don't seem dramatically more powerful.....until you get a low break.

AxeElf
06-08-2020, 05:18 PM
I think your observation on the height difference is the key. A 1.75" shell breaking closer to the ground may seem bigger than a 1.3 breaking further up. A 3" shell is about 120 grams so figure twice a 60G shell. If it goes twice the height then the perspective from the ground is going to be similar. I shoot 3" mixed with 60G cans. I place my 3" about 100 feet further from the audience and they blend nicely. You get better effects, longer lasting colors, nice round breaks with the 3's, but I agree they don't seem dramatically more powerful.....until you get a low break.

This is what I was going to say too; the moon and the sun appear to be the same size in the sky. One is 400 times larger than the other, but also 400 times further away. So higher breaks have to be larger just to appear the same size as lower breaks.

PyroKing31
06-08-2020, 05:43 PM

I unfortunately have to shoot from the same position as everything as its a floating platform on a lake. Looks like i will just have to accept that they are much higher thus seem smaller and quieter. I think I will try the LIDU brand next year and see if theres a difference.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Ditto on what the others above said about the height vs size appearance.
Over the years I have had the opportunity to shoot several different brand 1.3 shells and there is definitely a BIG difference in performance both in size of break, power of break, and height from one brand to another. I will not "name names" because it is not my intention to down talk any particular brand. I can say,however, last year we had two different "brand" shells in 3" and we could tell "that is a brand x" or "that is a brand Y". If you have access to different shells from different suppliers,try some of each and see what you like best and try to stick with them.
1.3 shells USUALLY are consistent in quality from one year to another--but, again, this is China we are talking about.

PyroKing31
06-09-2020, 08:22 AM
Ditto on what the others above said about the height vs size appearance.
Over the years I have had the opportunity to shoot several different brand 1.3 shells and there is definitely a BIG difference in performance both in size of break, power of break, and height from one brand to another. I will not "name names" because it is not my intention to down talk any particular brand. I can say,however, last year we had two different "brand" shells in 3" and we could tell "that is a brand x" or "that is a brand Y". If you have access to different shells from different suppliers,try some of each and see what you like best and try to stick with them.
1.3 shells USUALLY are consistent in quality from one year to another--but, again, this is China we are talking about.

Can't say I am surprised there is a difference in quality. Just like consumer products, there is massive variance in what exists in the any category. Also Joe sent you a PM

Salutecake
06-18-2020, 02:55 PM
Hey PyroKing31,

I wouldn't get to hung up on the height and spread of the 1.4 cans and the 3" 1.3. When you watch a regular fireworks show, you have low shells and high shells, and everything in between, it's up to you how you blend these things together to get the effect your looking for, with what you have to work with. What I'm looking at is that you are shooting from some type of barge on a lake. I see you are from Rochester so either you are shooting at Lake Ontario or one of the other 1000 lakes in the region. That's neat, potentially a 360 degree audience! Not the typical audience 500 or so feet away lined up in a straight line sitting on a blanket waiting for the 2 dimensional show to begin, I'd look at that as a challenge and be trying to think 3 dimensional, lol.

PyroKing31
06-22-2020, 06:48 AM
Hey PyroKing31,

I wouldn't get to hung up on the height and spread of the 1.4 cans and the 3" 1.3. When you watch a regular fireworks show, you have low shells and high shells, and everything in between, it's up to you how you blend these things together to get the effect your looking for, with what you have to work with. What I'm looking at is that you are shooting from some type of barge on a lake. I see you are from Rochester so either you are shooting at Lake Ontario or one of the other 1000 lakes in the region. That's neat, potentially a 360 degree audience! Not the typical audience 500 or so feet away lined up in a straight line sitting on a blanket waiting for the 2 dimensional show to begin, I'd look at that as a challenge and be trying to think 3 dimensional, lol.

Seneca Lake to be precise, we should have a pretty good audience from our Cove and the next few over. Definitely trying to think 3D and Layer effects, was more or less just kinda disappointed with the "Bang" on the 3" Crown Pyro shells I have, again probably just double the height throwing me off. I "expected" more I guess. My finale is a mixture of 60G nishiki cans, nishiki noabs and Yeng Feng Niagara falls 3" so it "Should" be 3 layers of Nishiki hanging in the air.