PDA

View Full Version : All NOAB Show?

tonyr
06-07-2020, 11:13 PM
I am putting together a small family show and the conversation with my brother turned in to "why don't we just shoot all NOABs?" Usually we have a mixture of 200g and 500g cakes as well as some racks with various shells and we seem to enjoy the NOABs. I don't have much time now to plan this as we just decided to go on with the festivities thanks to Covid-19 and inventory seems to be dwindling by the hour. I am looking at American Wholesale and put together an order of essentially every NOAB or 9 shot cake I could find which after discount will run me between 2 and 3k with shipping and gives me approximately 50 cakes to shoot. I have 50 mortar tubes in various rack configurations that I will fill also. Just curious as to what your thoughts would be on a show with primarily NOABs.

AxeElf
06-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Probly won't be a lot of nuance or progression to the show, but if your goal is just to fill the sky with huge breaks for a while, it will likely be pretty spectacular.

Robbro097
06-08-2020, 12:57 AM
Itd b a slow steady pace show with big mean breaks may become kinda repetitive id throw something different in periodically to switch it up. But whatever you decide you better do it quick they are selling out fast.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-08-2020, 03:23 AM
I've been told my taste is all in my mouth, but it sounds rather boring to me. I like a variety of effects. High, low, ground, crossing, crackle, etc. Firing what amounts to a bunch of mortars all night just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

esgrillo
06-08-2020, 09:01 AM
You'll get a lot of people telling you NOABs are overpriced and should be avoided. I am not one of them. They may be overpricesd but I use some of them every year for a specific part of my finale and IMHO the breaks are bigger than any 1.75 shell I have used. That being said. I agree with Rick, mix it up. Also NOABs height allows lower effect 200g's to fill the space below those shells nicely. I always pair Whacky Tobaky with 200g Bump Bear.

Scotty Rockets
06-08-2020, 10:56 AM
It would definitely give your show a more of typical pro show look. I like the idea, But I would mix in some 200g bushy tail comet and tourbillion and other more special effect cakes segments, also a few fan cakes such as waterfall, crossettes and falling leaves. Personally I very much dislike 200g peony, dahlia and chrysanthemum cakes as they are all sloppy can breaks.

Birdman
06-08-2020, 01:50 PM
I agree with the others, the show could get a little mundane without some other effects. Adding some other cakes will add variety, help fill in lower parts of the sky and help people appreciate the larger breaks from the NOABs.

tonyr
06-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Well I placed my order this afternoon and have about 95% NOABs. I will look at picking up some smaller 200g cakes at local overpriced retailers maybe (probably not). The audience will primarily be moderately intoxicated adults who like loud and big fireworks. From a consumer standpoint this is about all I can do to try to appease that. Being this is somewhat last minute with no planning I think it will be fine. Next year we will plan out the pyromusical with pro-line stuff. Thanks everyone for your input.

morrison2951
06-08-2020, 08:52 PM
Big fan of Whacky Tobacky here. But mix it up alittle like you plan.

Gibby99hound
06-09-2020, 06:04 AM
If u go amercian wholesale Uncle Sam by raccoon Is a awesome cake

Mattp
06-09-2020, 06:18 AM
2-3k worth of noabs!!!! thatyll be nice... they definitely offer a nice variety of breaks and will be bigger than any thing else.... but i would definitely play with the timing of when to light them... like maybe start off with a few... then in 10 sec light another few.. and so on... so they overlap each other and will pick up the pace ... a typical noab is about 30-40 sec long... which is really slow for 9 shots... so will definitely need to strategically overlap them

tonyr
06-09-2020, 10:17 PM
2-3k worth of noabs!!!! thatyll be nice... they definitely offer a nice variety of breaks and will be bigger than any thing else.... but i would definitely play with the timing of when to light them... like maybe start off with a few... then in 10 sec light another few.. and so on... so they overlap each other and will pick up the pace ... a typical noab is about 30-40 sec long... which is really slow for 9 shots... so will definitely need to strategically overlap them

So I ended up spending about 3100 on NOABs. Messing around with the timing in my script now as you mentioned. I have Finale 3D so I can simulate the layout and timing a bit even though most of the cakes I got this time are not in the inventory list in Finale. I also have a couple cases of regular 500g cakes but will probably pick up some more before the 4th just to fill in a little.

jamisonlm3
06-10-2020, 12:24 AM
Do you mind posting a list of all you got?

PyroGyro
06-10-2020, 08:07 AM
Please take a video and post it after your show. I am interested in seeing whether this can be done without the show being boring. I think a lot of it will come down to your ability to surprise people with different effects, and by speeding things up and slowing things down. Personally if I was going to go this route and I had plenty of Cobra mods I'd probably go single shot 62mms from Dominator maybe mixed in with a bunch of NOABS in the Finale, which would not only save you money but would provide you better control. But with the control comes a lot more scripting and setup time.

tonyr
06-10-2020, 09:20 AM
Do you mind posting a list of all you got?

Sure. From American Wholesale I purchased every NOAB that was in stock on the day I ordered. To get over the 3K mark and activate the 30% off level I doubled up on a couple items and threw in a couple cases of non-noab items. These NOABs probably wouldn't have been my first choice but with inventory running out and this being last minute (relatively) I went out on a limb and will see how it turns out. I have contacted another guy I used to buy from and will also be adding in some filler. Once I get that stuff I will update the list. Surprisingly my order is going to be delivered on the 12th so will take some pictures and post. Shipping was a little over $300.

Order Items
Qty Code/SKU Product Name Price Total
2 K9070 The Howitzer
$48.24 $96.48
1 DM593C Mega Bomb
Buy Cases and Save:1 Case (2 Units) = Click for Pricing
$85.86 $85.86
2 P5371C Shoot the Moon
$77.76 $155.52
1 P5488C Seven
$85.50 $85.50
1 P5374C Pyro Candy
$85.50 $85.50
1 M1517C Majestic American Strobe
$88.38 $88.38
1 CD604C Atomizer
$99.72 $99.72
1 P5493C Trinity
$97.56 $97.56
1 P5470C Yin Yang
$94.50 $94.50
2 P5375C Texas Hold Em
$87.30 $174.60
1 DM315-24 Kingslayer Artillery Shells
Buy Cases and Save:1 Case (4 Units) = Click for Pricing
$159.30 $159.30
1 P5510C Jellyfish Aquarium
$92.70 $92.70
2 M1505C Millionaires Club
$89.10 $178.20
1 P5509C Midnight Sun
$94.86 $94.86
2 DM5107C Nishiki Kamuro Super Finale
$93.96 $187.92
3 DMP5075 Pure Pyro
$21.78 $65.34
1 RA53815C Huge Gold Strobe
Buy Cases and Save:1 Case (4 Units) = Click for Pricing
$73.62 $73.62
2 RA57207 Migraine
$46.62 $93.24
1 RA57208C Neon Blaster
$83.88 $83.88
1 RA57204C Packing Heat - Raccoon
$83.88 $83.88

tonyr
06-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Please take a video and post it after your show. I am interested in seeing whether this can be done without the show being boring. I think a lot of it will come down to your ability to surprise people with different effects, and by speeding things up and slowing things down. Personally if I was going to go this route and I had plenty of Cobra mods I'd probably go single shot 62mms from Dominator maybe mixed in with a bunch of NOABS in the Finale, which would not only save you money but would provide you better control. But with the control comes a lot more scripting and setup time.

Will definitely take a video and post. Keep in mind this is not a typical show and is really just a one off last minute decision to put a bunch of larger break stuff up in the air for moderately intoxicated people. If it looks good with the little effort I am putting in to it then maybe something to grow upon for the following year. I am going to get the timing worked out and then let her go. Probably about 10 to 12 mins worth based on my initial look at it. The good thing about all of this is there are no rules and IDGAF how it turns out. In the end I will have a ton of fun and nobody is going to care the next morning if it looked like crap or not. Fun is the name of the game.

Mattp
06-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Will definitely take a video and post. Keep in mind this is not a typical show and is really just a one off last minute decision to put a bunch of larger break stuff up in the air for moderately intoxicated people. If it looks good with the little effort I am putting in to it then maybe something to grow upon for the following year. I am going to get the timing worked out and then let her go. Probably about 10 to 12 mins worth based on my initial look at it. The good thing about all of this is there are no rules and IDGAF how it turns out. In the end I will have a ton of fun and nobody is going to care the next morning if it looked like crap or not. Fun is the name of the game.

HAHAHA!!!! no matter what it wont look like crap... i dont know all the product you have.. but the ones i do know are really good ones... like you said... as long as you have fun!!!!!!... and be safe!!!

tonyr
07-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Finally got everything unboxed. I added a few non-NOAB items. Stoked about one item in particular (100 shot)...

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5114&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5112&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5113&stc=1

jamisonlm3
07-01-2020, 11:08 AM
Looks like you have a few special items there as well. Should be a good show.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-03-2020, 08:24 AM
No smokers in your house I hope! :rolleyes: Very nice stash. Have a safe and fun 4th!!

psilynt
07-03-2020, 09:22 AM
Stoked about one item in particular (100 shot)...

I believe I spy the item you're referring to, an inconspicuous looking grey and red boy. I had two of them last year that I set off together and it was absolutely unreal. Literally had a small child in the audience crying by the time they were over.

tonyr
07-10-2020, 10:27 AM
I am putting together a small family show and the conversation with my brother turned in to "why don't we just shoot all NOABs?" Usually we have a mixture of 200g and 500g cakes as well as some racks with various shells and we seem to enjoy the NOABs. I don't have much time now to plan this as we just decided to go on with the festivities thanks to Covid-19 and inventory seems to be dwindling by the hour. I am looking at American Wholesale and put together an order of essentially every NOAB or 9 shot cake I could find which after discount will run me between 2 and 3k with shipping and gives me approximately 50 cakes to shoot. I have 50 mortar tubes in various rack configurations that I will fill also. Just curious as to what your thoughts would be on a show with primarily NOABs.

Here is the video. This was 90% NOABs. My timing at the end of the show got screwed up with the middle firing position. You will see the tannerite cake and some other crap go off about 30 to 45 seconds after what was supposed to be the finale. All in all it was fun and we had a blast. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Nv15zFR7UFQ

tonyr
07-10-2020, 10:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv15zFR7UFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv15zFR7UFQ

Updated to embed video.

jamisonlm3
07-10-2020, 12:09 PM
I really like that Nishiki effect at 7:24. Big breaks, but the whole break seems to rotate. The other one I noticed was the cake with gold strobe. It seemed to be pretty hard hitting. I don't see anything wrong with your show. Nobody watching seemed displeased. You even gave them a false finale. If anything, the problems were only one's you noticed and those can be fixed next go around.

tonyr
07-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Yeah I was surprised by Huge Gold Strobe by Raccoon Fireworks. It came 4 to a case. My son even commented on it lol... He was the one chattering during the video. I think the Nishiki effect looked like it was rotating due to the breeze perhaps.

Birdman
07-10-2020, 01:53 PM
That certainly was big and loud like your audience wanted! Paced it well and with enough variety to keep it interesting. So you didn't stick the landing the way you wanted. No one would know that but you. I think this may have changed my mind on NOABs.

jamisonlm3
07-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Yeah I was surprised by Huge Gold Strobe by Raccoon Fireworks. It came 4 to a case. My son even commented on it lol... He was the one chattering during the video. I think the Nishiki effect looked like it was rotating due to the breeze perhaps.He seemed to enjoy the show more than anyone. That just goes to show you that size isn't everything when it comes to fireworks. Not only did it seem one of the louder items in your show, the breaks seem to be some of the larger ones too. NOABs can be nice, but so can cakes.

PyroGyro
07-10-2020, 05:27 PM
Yeah I was surprised by Huge Gold Strobe by Raccoon Fireworks. It came 4 to a case. My son even commented on it lol... He was the one chattering during the video. I think the Nishiki effect looked like it was rotating due to the breeze perhaps.

I really like Huge Gold Strobe as well, I used it in a show last year. See 4:58 https://youtu.be/gPR8FNc8YrY?t=290

FWGuy
07-10-2020, 06:03 PM
There are some great NOAB's out there but as others have commented, will be limited in terms of variety in an all NOAB show. Also, for me, the creation of the show from selecting the product all the way through assembling boards, racks, and fusing are all part of the fun and times just as fun as the show itself. Also, just from an economic perspective you can get more shots from a shell/mortar kit and IMHO those shells in the premium kits have better thump, height, and effects.

tonyr
07-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Yeah I am not sure about the shell/mortar kits being any better than the NOABs from what I have experienced the last few years. Perhaps I am not buying the right ones. I had plenty of "fun" poking all the cakes for the initiators and even more "fun" wiring everything in to the modules in 95 degree hot and humid weather. Next year I will be switching to quick connect MJG initiators. I have had my fill of fun with the speaker terminals. I think from a show perspective this was way better than having a bunch of 200g cakes and what I feel is little crap shooting in the sky for 80% of the show. Next year I plan on less NOABs and more 1.4 pro items but will probably never buy another 200g cake again. This year was sort of a last minute experiment and I got a lot of big, loud breaks which is what we wanted.

Kooooou
07-10-2020, 09:52 PM
I only use NOABs to slow down a show. This Fourth was the first time any NOAB fired received ooos and ahhs, and that was a pair of Raccoon's Uncle Sam. Before that, even shooting 2-4 NOABs at a time (including Wacky Tobacky), I just couldn't seem to get cheers from the audience because NOABs lack the intensity that my drunken crowd normally thirsts for.

FWGuy
07-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Yeah I am not sure about the shell/mortar kits being any better than the NOABs from what I have experienced the last few years. Perhaps I am not buying the right ones. I had plenty of "fun" poking all the cakes for the initiators and even more "fun" wiring everything in to the modules in 95 degree hot and humid weather. Next year I will be switching to quick connect MJG initiators. I have had my fill of fun with the speaker terminals. I think from a show perspective this was way better than having a bunch of 200g cakes and what I feel is little crap shooting in the sky for 80% of the show. Next year I plan on less NOABs and more 1.4 pro items but will probably never buy another 200g cake again. This year was sort of a last minute experiment and I got a lot of big, loud breaks which is what we wanted.

I hear you on the fun getting old real fast in 90+ heat and humidity ;). Always up for debate, but some of the good kits I like are from Bigs (pro shells), Dominator Shells, Excaliburs...am sure there are others but these are the ones I like and have used.