PDA

View Full Version : Florida In-Progress License

gnavarr
05-29-2020, 10:07 AM
Hey, everyone, hope you're all doing well. I was wondering if anyone in Florida right now is in the middle of the process for obtaining their user license? I was already prepared for things to take longer than normal because of shutdowns and all of that, but just wanted to get some reassurance I suppose. I mailed in my application/required documentation with credit card payment on Friday 5/8, they received everything Monday 5/11, charged my card the $100 fee Thursday 5/14, and now two weeks after being charged I've received no communication via phone or email. Every state's different which is why I'm asking for some insight from others specifically in Florida that are also going through the process. Again, I understand why things would take extra time during this period I just want to put myself at ease since this is my first attempt at this. Thanks a bunch in advance, everyone!

Salutecake
05-31-2020, 04:51 PM
I believe Dave is right when he says, when they cash your check things happen quick - make sure you answer all your phone calls. I believe mine was about 2 weeks before the Inspector called me. My son applied, waited but his check was not being processed, he called and they said they never received it, and that it was probably best to re-apply. He started to re-apply when he noticed his check was cashed, called again and all was good, about 2 weeks later had his interview.
Take this for what it is worth - I have found that most ATF Inspectors (in person) , and those at the end of a phone, are generally pretty helpful. I would give it a few more days, and then give a call. I'm from PA, I hope Florida is as quick.

displayfireworks1
05-31-2020, 06:11 PM
Hey, everyone, hope you're all doing well. I was wondering if anyone in Florida right now is in the middle of the process for obtaining their user license? I was already prepared for things to take longer than normal because of shutdowns and all of that, but just wanted to get some reassurance I suppose. I mailed in my application/required documentation with credit card payment on Friday 5/8, they received everything Monday 5/11, charged my card the $100 fee Thursday 5/14, and now two weeks after being charged I've received no communication via phone or email. Every state's different which is why I'm asking for some insight from others specifically in Florida that are also going through the process. Again, I understand why things would take extra time during this period I just want to put myself at ease since this is my first attempt at this. Thanks a bunch in advance, everyone!

Let me politely correct you , every state is not different. Its a Federal procedure that should be uniformly applied across the country irrespective of what state you are in. They have 90 days once they cash that check to complete the process. Feedback I'm getting is that it is all on a computer now and the ATF software has a timed clocked on it. This is all a good thing for applicants. The licensing procedure has actually been moving faster now. The feedback I'm receiving is the Inspector interviews you on the phone and they have one year to visit your location. When they call don't let them convince you to "Wait until all of this over" Like one new Inspector out of Ohio tried to tell an applicant. I suspect you will be fine before July 4th. Once they talk with you , it will go smooth. They may be running your background check before they call.
I also agree with the other poster that almost all of these ATF Inspectors are very helpful Just a few here and there are not.

gnavarr
05-31-2020, 10:05 PM
I appreciate the replies. I have definitely done my best to answer every single phone call I've gotten over the last couple of weeks whenever possible, so hopefully I didn't miss the only one that wasn't a telemarketer robot. I'll just keep waiting through this week and if I still don't hear anything, then hopefully I'll find the appropriate number to contact them and check on my status. Thanks again!

Salutecake
06-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Good luck gnavarr, and if possible, keep us updated.

gnavarr
06-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Hey, everyone, I just wanted to give an update on my license progress. The 3 week mark has come and gone with no contact or communication since my credit card being charged, so first thing Monday morning I'll call the contact number on the very last page of the application and hope I can get any info on what exactly is going on. I'll update again after speaking with someone on the phone.

displayfireworks1
06-07-2020, 07:39 AM
Not sure what the Social Distancing status is in Florida as far a face to face interview? When you speak to someone if they try to delay because of the virus distancing, let me know you are aware of other ATF offices across the country are doing phone interviews. At least try to find out what Inspector is assigned your case.

gnavarr
06-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Hey, everyone, I got an update. It might be lengthy, and I'm sorry if it is, but I'm gonna need some advice afterwards.

The basics:
-Where I live I would 100% not meet any tables of distances for a standard outdoor magazine
-I researched and found that the tables of distances don't apply to indoor magazines
-So I built a shed in my backyard right outside my house where I placed a Ridgid job box I converted as many others have

Beyond the basics:
-I started this thread because it had been nearly a month since being charged my application fee and hadn't heard anything
-I called my local ATF office today explaining I just wanted to check on my application status and make sure there were no issues
-I was transferred to an agent that said he would look into it and call me back
-He called back, said my application was received in my state yesterday, and told me the name of the agent that would be handling my process and contacting me this week

The complicated:
-Before we hung up I explained to him my plan with the shed and having the job box as an indoor magazine
-He then referenced me to item #10 on page 78 of the orange book

10. 18 U.S.C. 842(j): Storage of Explosives
27 CFR 55.208(b)(1), 55.210(b)(1), and
55.211(b)(1): Indoor Storage of Explosives in
Business Premises Directly Adjacent to a
Residence or Dwelling
ATF requires approval of variances for indoor
storage of explosives in business premises
directly adjacent to a residence or dwelling.

-We talked some more and then hung up since he wasn't actually assigned to my application
-Initially I thought to myself "cool no problem this is personal use not for business"
-Then I looked up the definition of "business premises" on page 14 and the 3rd sentence

When used with respect to a user of explosive materials, the
property on which the explosive materials are received or stored.

Summary:
-So, according to ruling 2002-4 the agent referenced to me, my shed (AKA business premises) being next to my house may "retain their character as a residence or dwelling" which means I'd be prohibited to use it as storage without a variance
-My only saving grace (if whoever my assigned agent is chooses to be difficult) may be that the paragraph containing "retain their character as a residence" begins with "Even where the business premises are segregable from living quarters by the existence of a door or a common wall"
-My shed (business premises) has no wall, door, or any kind of physical connection to my house. Granted it is only a few feet away, but it is still a completely separate structure.

So I guess I could use some advice on what I could do if whoever my assigned agent is has absolute zero wiggle room and considers my shed/job box as prohibited storage being next to my house? I appreciate any responses and replies. Sorry again for the wall of text.

gnavarr
06-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Another update:

The ATF agent assigned to my application contacted me. He seemed SUPER down to earth and just really easy going, so my concern from my post above is not on my mind. What IS on my mind now is that he said everything we talked about with my indoor type 4 magazine was great, but the only thing he needed was basically an "okay" letter and/or phone call from the authority having jurisdiction (Fire marshall or something to that effect) before we can proceed to an inspection of my shed and magazine. So my question is for anyone (preferably in South Florida) that has gone through that part of the process how exactly did you go about it? I would REALLY appreciate any help at all on this. Thanks so much.

displayfireworks1
06-13-2020, 07:13 AM
How many miles from Plantation Florida are you? These is a forums member on here from that area. Let me see if we can get him to respond to advise you since it sounds like you are almost there.

gnavarr
06-13-2020, 08:26 AM
How many miles from Plantation Florida are you? These is a forums member on here from that area. Let me see if we can get him to respond to advise you since it sounds like you are almost there.

Hey, Dave. I'm about 40 miles from Plantation. I've messaged that member a couple of times about different things but haven't heard back. I don't want to pester or annoy him or anything like that. And yeah I'm so close to having my efforts on having my own indoor magazine paying off I can taste it, but it seems obstacles keep coming up. I wasn't prepared for my ATF agent telling me he would need an acknowledgement or okay from an official in my area to determine whether my structure and magazine meet ATF requirements or not, so its been a bit disheartening.

displayfireworks1
06-13-2020, 11:28 AM
What the ATF in that area is telling you may not be 100% true. Wait until you hear from the forums member in that area , he should be able to tell you how to proceed. I send him a message. Are you in Broward County? Some members sporadically check on the forums so give it time.

gnavarr
06-13-2020, 11:45 AM
What the ATF in that area is telling you may not be 100% true. Wait until you hear from the forums member in that area , he should be able to tell you how to proceed. I send him a message. Are you in Broward County? Some members sporadically check on the forums so give it time.

I'm in Palm Beach County. The member did respond today to my original message when I asked about 1.3 suppliers in my area, but not to the email I just recently sent explaining my current situation. I completely understand everyone has their own thing going on, especially these last few months, so I most definitely don't want to be a bother.

As for the ATF agent wanting an "okay" from someone in my area when it comes to storing anything, I too thought it was an odd request seeing as how the approval of the license and whether my indoor magazine met ATF requirements really has nothing to do with my local area. But as I mentioned earlier, the agent came off extremely nice and helpful, so if the request he made isn't actually necessary then he may not actually know. I just don't know where to go from here as far as trying to explain that to him without coming off wrong or possibly having him not be so nice anymore.

ONExLOSTxSOUL
07-09-2020, 08:19 PM
gnavarr,

Do you have an update on this? I live in Volusia county and have been thinking of applying for my 54 as well but with contingency storage only.

gnavarr
07-09-2020, 08:38 PM
gnavarr,

Do you have an update on this? I live in Volusia county and have been thinking of applying for my 54 as well but with contingency storage only.

My assigned agent emailed me back a scanned copy of my application to change storage from my own magazine to contingency I found because the fire marshal for my jurisdiction was definitely not on board with storage because of county ordinances and all that. So I printed the pages that needed changing, changed them, scanned and resent them to my agent and then basically had a phone interview. Now I'm just waiting to hear anything back he said it could be a couple of weeks especially cuz of the holiday. Monday will be the 2 week mark, so I'll reach out sometime next week if I don't hear anything.

ONExLOSTxSOUL
07-09-2020, 09:12 PM
My assigned agent emailed me back a scanned copy of my application to change storage from my own magazine to contingency I found because the fire marshal for my jurisdiction was definitely not on board with storage because of county ordinances and all that. So I printed the pages that needed changing, changed them, scanned and resent them to my agent and then basically had a phone interview. Now I'm just waiting to hear anything back he said it could be a couple of weeks especially cuz of the holiday. Monday will be the 2 week mark, so I'll reach out sometime next week if I don't hear anything.

Thank you for the update!! i am still looking for storage in my area, once i have that covered ill apply as well

kingrodnay
03-03-2021, 03:52 PM
Any updates?

gnavarr
03-03-2021, 04:25 PM
Any updates?

Got the license in the mail some time in August!

kingrodnay
03-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Dats Great news!!!! Did you use a Contingency Storage? Please give all the good advice?