PDA

View Full Version : Hello from northeastern PA :)

Pgdark19
05-22-2020, 12:10 AM
time to say hello as I've been lurking for a bit. I consider myself very green in firework knowledge, but am learning a lot. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

I've been experiencing the firework fun the past 3-4 years. started with a few small things from the tents that pop up around the 4th. Then going to the popular stores like sky king who market/advertise very well, and then finally finding the smaller stores with better pricing. The amount of fireworks purchased seems to grow exponentially with each passing year. I really enjoy finding/visiting that new store. definitely still learning the ins and outs of firework purchasing. I need to find the right contacts. So please give me any advice or tips when visiting the stores.

This year, I plan to make some cake boards (learned I need to better secure the cakes the hard way... :rolleyes:). I've also made several mortar racks, so I can actually watch the fireworks instead of sending them up one by one as fast as possible.

I foresee my next step in the firework show world being a remote firing system and type 54 license. Hopefully next year...

I have so much to learn still.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-22-2020, 03:56 AM
Welcome aboard Pgdark19. Nice to see a fresh face on the boards.

As for purchasing fireworks, my best advice to you would be to join a local pyro club and see if you can get in on a group buy. I'm sure PyroJoeNEPA will chime in soon. He's probably one of the most knowledgeable people on here AND he's from your neck of the woods.

As for your boards... Use liquid nails to glue the cakes down. But first, cut the paper off the bottom of the cake so you're not applying glue to flimsy paper. Make sure you're gluing the actual wood base of the cake to the board.

How are you connecting your cakes together? Love to see some pictures of your setup.

Pgdark19
05-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Thanks Rick. I do plan to use the liquid nails and cut off the paper. I have green and blue colored fuse, plan to zip tie them in place and cover everything with the uhaul tape. (watched lots of youtube videos). I've noted run times for the cakes, just need to figure out fuse length for timing. This years show seems to have escalated to around 30 500g cakes, ~30 200g cakes, ~ 200 canister shells and I have 6 finale cakes 1/1 (which weigh about 30 lbs apiece!). oh, and a few 500g fountains.

Plan is to hand light one board at a time, then a rack of mortars. haven't worked out the details, but learn as you go I guess.

jknepp1954
05-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Hello and welcome to this awesome forum. Good place to start learning. We also own a store in Central Pa - Kneppy's fireworks. In Clearfield County which is currectly in the yellow - so our store is OPEN!!! Whereas the stores i think in NE are not (unless you travel into the west direction).
you might want to explore joining a fireworks club at some point or another.

PyroManiacs
05-22-2020, 12:58 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

Pgdark19
05-22-2020, 05:08 PM
jknepp1954. I'm about 3 hours northeast of you. I have checked out the website to your store. will someday make the trip. I was able to shop at some stores around me right before they had to close back in march. then, found a store that let me come in back in April. Had a store open for mothers' day but they were forced to close after 5 days when word got out. They just reopened today. I'm done shopping this year, spent way too much already...

Bad Alibi Scott
05-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forum!!! Check out Brooklyn Fireworks in Tannersville PA. Great guys to work with and great wholesale pricing.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-23-2020, 01:49 AM
Thanks Rick. I do plan to use the liquid nails and cut off the paper. I have green and blue colored fuse, plan to zip tie them in place and cover everything with the uhaul tape. (watched lots of youtube videos). I've noted run times for the cakes, just need to figure out fuse length for timing. This years show seems to have escalated to around 30 500g cakes, ~30 200g cakes, ~ 200 canister shells and I have 6 finale cakes 1/1 (which weigh about 30 lbs apiece!). oh, and a few 500g fountains.

Plan is to hand light one board at a time, then a rack of mortars. haven't worked out the details, but learn as you go I guess.

Sounds like you would benefit from a cheap Chinese 12 cue firing system and some talons. Not sure how many boards you're building, but my guess is it can't be more than 3 or 4. So a 12 cue system would allow you to sit back and watch the whole show. Something to think about.

PyroKing31
05-23-2020, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the forum!!! Check out Brooklyn Fireworks in Tannersville PA. Great guys to work with and great wholesale pricing.

I just picked up my order from Brooklyn this week wholesale. Great peoples and very aggressive pricing.

Pgdark19
05-23-2020, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the tip... Is that where you go? being so close to me I would assume we'd shop at the same stores. I went to BiggDaddy's this year in Gibson, PA and when they do their storewide BOGO, the prices are hard to beat.

Brooklyn looks like they have a lot of variety with their shells...

PyroKing31
05-23-2020, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the tip... Is that where you go? being so close to me I would assume we'd shop at the same stores. I went to BiggDaddy's this year in Gibson, PA and when they do their storewide BOGO, the prices are hard to beat.

Brooklyn looks like they have a lot of variety with their shells...

They have a very nice selection, I can send you their wholesale sheet if your interested.

Pgdark19
05-23-2020, 10:36 AM
They have a very nice selection, I can send you their wholesale sheet if your interested.

please do, i'm very interested in seeing the pricing.

thank you.

Do you drive down and pick up or do you have it shipped? probably a 5-6 hour drive for you...

PyroJoeNEPA
05-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk Pgdark19. I am a little over 100 miles south of you in Schuylkill county...Unfortunately with all this Covid 19 hub bub going on, most of the pyro club events have been put on "hold". But I would recommend you considering joining a club==great place to make friends with like minded people, hook up with a mentor [or 2], and, always great product purchase opportunities. We can talk about that via PM or phone if you want.
There are a ton of resources available here for you to research, and a lot of people here willing to help you along in your setup process.
Remember, because it is on "youtube" doesn't always mean it is the right way to do something. If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to ask. Always better to be safe than sorry. No one here will bash you for asking a "newbie" question. We are all here to help.

Rick brought up a good point about looking into a cheap chinese system to start with--but I would take that one step farther and recommend not using the Talon igniters [they can be tricky and troublesome if you are not familiar with them]--Since they are now easy to obtain I would recommend that you get the MJG Initiators--they are legal for you to have in place of ematch and have no storage restrictions. They have only become available to the hobbyist the last couple years. Prior to that, you were limited to using the Talons [or equivalent] to efire your product.

@Rick--thank you for the kind words.

One thing you will find in this hobby is that you "never have enough" be it fireworks, racks, firing systems, fuse, etc!!!
One thing I would recommend is that you find the closest UHaul dealer that sells packing supplies and pick up a couple of rolls of their packing tape [aka "Dave's Magic Tape"]. It is great stuff--but be careful--it will take your fingerprints off! LOL.
Again, welcome & keep in touch!

PyroKing31
05-23-2020, 11:40 AM
please do, i'm very interested in seeing the pricing.

thank you.

Do you drive down and pick up or do you have it shipped? probably a 5-6 hour drive for you...

Send me a PM of your Email.

I just made the trip this past tuesday. 3.5 hours each way.

Gotta go what ya gotta do when you live in the Great state of no fun NY

Birdman
05-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Welcome aboard Pgdark19! I'm in the Lehigh Valley.

Pgdark19
05-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk Pgdark19. I am a little over 100 miles south of you in Schuylkill county...

I know right where you are, my wife is from Minersville.

The suggestions on the firing system is appreciated. I know nothing about them. I get overwhelmed when looking into them. Thank you for the info on the ignitors. I'll definitely have something by next year...

I already have the uhaul tape but now i'm thinking I don't have enough...lol

Thank you Birdman...

Wholesale Fireworks
05-24-2020, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forum

Bad Alibi Scott
05-24-2020, 02:54 PM
I have bought from them in the past but not in the last couple of years. I've been getting my order from Spirit of 76 and having it shipped to a freight center for pick up. Can't get it shipped to the Coumo state of NY. Brooklyn has a lot of stuff and are great to work with. PA's 18% fireworks tax is part of the reason I buy from Spirit.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-24-2020, 11:25 PM
@Rick--thank you for the kind words.

Just calling it like I see it buddy!!

Toncatmad
05-25-2020, 09:08 AM
I am wondering if your the same guy a family member tried to introduce me to a few years ago. The store in clearfield I noticed right away. I am new to the board. Jeff Shadek tried to introduce us but we never managed to get together

Toncatmad
05-25-2020, 09:11 AM
I am in the Lehigh Valley as well!! New to the board going for my manufacturing and import license as we speak

jknepp1954
05-25-2020, 10:05 PM
I am wondering if your the same guy a family member tried to introduce me to a few years ago. The store in clearfield I noticed right away. I am new to the board. Jeff Shadek tried to introduce us but we never managed to get together
Is that our little stand your referring to? We always set up in the Fun Central Parking Lot. Like an AMISH style shed - with just Safe & Sane

NewPyro93
09-03-2020, 11:12 AM
I second that! I'm new here but Pete @ Brooklyn fireworks is an awesome person to deal with!

ETnepa
09-03-2020, 04:09 PM
NEPA! Hello, Im also new to the forum. Im starting to notice PA is a great state for fireworks.

hatsgoods
09-05-2020, 04:26 PM
jknepp1954. I'm about 3 hours northeast of you. I have checked out the website to your store. will someday make the trip. I was able to shop at some stores around me right before they had to close back in march. then, found a store that let me come in back in April. Had a store open for mothers' day but they were forced to close after 5 days when word got out. They just reopened today. I'm done shopping this year, spent way too much already...

i stand for Kneppys. tell them I ( kelli rene hartman ) sent you and they re hook ya up.