PDA

View Full Version : BlackMatch With E-Match or BlackMatch, Bucket, E-Match

joewad
05-16-2020, 11:04 AM
After last years failures with close proximity finale failures I swore off igniters. I am going to use either initiators or e-match to initiate the ignition of fuses upon my consumer canister racks and smaller 1.3 cakes visco.
My consumer racks visco will be either 15 or 20 second visco, each with a lead of 5 or 6 inches of folded fast fuse attached to lead. Would it be sufficient to place the fast fuse lead into a piece of blackmatch with initiator or e-match to ignite or should I go with the fast fuse inserted into a bucket of blackmatch then e-match with either the initiator or e-match to ignite?
And similar as above only for smaller 1.3 cakes with visco fuse only.
I've seen both ways. I've tested several times with initiator or e-match to blackmatch to fast fuse and it has worked everytime.
I do not want to experience a 30% failure rate like I did last year with close proximity finale. Crowd didn't really notice but I knew.
Though very bad cell phone video that lost a lot of resolution when being transferred my close proximity finale (after the big boy finale) is below. Close proximity finale consisted of 16 - 100 shot thunderkings (not princes), 24 - 36 shot battle of color and 2 - Lidu 36 shot, 4 second, 2.5" salute cakes. Again with about a 30% failure rate. Similiar setup is planned for 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SguF5QwmXU

BMoore
05-16-2020, 02:00 PM
I used a lot of that same product and had no problem with visco into quickmatch and an e-match on the other end. Never used buckets. I think the key is to use the smallest runs of quickmatch as possible, tape the ends Really tight and stabilize/tape it down as best you can. Failures usually happen because the quickmatch moves violently and can rip away before passing fire. Keeping it short and stable minimizes that. Also make sure you are using the good blackmatch quickmatch and not the perchlorate stuff.

joewad
05-16-2020, 03:59 PM
I used a lot of that same product and had no problem with visco into quickmatch and an e-match on the other end. Never used buckets. I think the key is to use the smallest runs of quickmatch as possible, tape the ends Really tight and stabilize/tape it down as best you can. Failures usually happen because the quickmatch moves violently and can rip away before passing fire. Keeping it short and stable minimizes that. Also make sure you are using the good blackmatch quickmatch and not the perchlorate stuff.

Good suggestion, for some reason I had not thought of shortening the quickmatch. It's violent nature was my main concern. Over the last couple of years I have bought quickmatch from four (4) different vendors. In my opimion, every one of them has been perchlorate and not true blackmatch. It must be cheaper to make hence, cheaper to sell. Unforunately, I'm not seeing any savings.

BMoore
05-17-2020, 12:17 AM
For the perchlorate garbage, try removing 2 or 3 of the strands. That seems to make it a little more tame. It will pass fire by my comments about stabilizing it are that much more important. Don’t rule out consumer fast fuse either.

Scotty Rockets
05-18-2020, 07:34 PM
What’s with the camera quality? Yikes

Toncatmad
05-25-2020, 09:40 AM
I am new to the forum but I make my own black match and quick match. Even roll my own piping for my shells.
Black match is so simple to make and I only use starch as a binder. The match comes out quite stiff and burns very well. If you have never made it I could def help you get going and if you have a ball mill and some 8 ply cotton string it is super simple to do