PDA

View Full Version : Consumer quickmatch

Amaturepyro
05-13-2020, 12:41 PM
I have a question about all these websites that offer these consumer quickmatch kits.......it comes with the paper leader pipe and the 60 feet of grey fast fuse. Has anyone used this before?? Is it somewhat comparable?? Worth a try?? Also too some places offer just the red leader pipe for the real quickmatch without the blackmatch Inside of it. Just the empty piping. Could u in theory buy that Empty roll of Red leader pipe and run strands of grey fast fuse thru that possibly?? Again just a couple questions about it...

displayfireworks1
05-13-2020, 08:10 PM
If you are referencing the same gray fuse that I know, it is fast enough without any piping. If you look at it closely it is small stands already in a form of piping. The downside is , it is prone to side ignition all along its path. If adding more piping would do anything it would protect it from side ignition. Not sure of it would get much faster than it already is. I suspect the gray fast fuse may be a version of the perchlorate professional fuse we all despise. I have some , if I find time this weekend I may take closer look at it and it properties.

joewad
05-14-2020, 01:10 PM
I use a lot of the gray "fast" fuse, at .6 a foot a secondit's plenty fast. I use more of it than quickmatch, especially when fusing a "block" of identical cakes together. I'll use the quickmatch and a e-match attached to fast fuse to ignite it. Be aware, as Dave mentions, side ignition is a concern. Always protect it with sometime of tape covering or aluminum foil. I "lost" a quarter of a finale once due to side ignition fallout from a 6 inch shell. I've seen the piping for sale and thought about it but decided against it. Your choice of tape or aluminum foil works fine, is quicker to setup, may not look as pretty but your only wanting 1 time functionality. The gray fast fuse is quite violent left alone and I would expect Dqve's comparison with perchlorate professional fuse will be if not identical a close cousin.

Amaturepyro
05-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Ok guys. Thanks for the advice. I think I’m gona try it without the piping. But will definitely cover with foil for the protection from side ignition. Dave that would be a cool video I’d you find the time to examine that perchlorate fuse. I have also found a couple sites that will “offer”that to consumers. But as you stated, many have advises against due to its violent properties as I have also seen demos of it on YouTube almost explosive in bunches.

N.E. Pyrotechnics
05-15-2020, 09:08 AM
I asked myself the exact same question earlier this year. The video that I took while doing my " test" is out of focus, and really doesn't add anything. I was more interested in the stop watch. Here is what I learned...

I used 36 inches of grey fast fuse that I purchased from Pyroboom. One piece was encased in a piece of craft paper that I had folded along a straight edge in an attempt to replicate the "sleeve" found on quick match. I'm not sure about the thickness of the craft paper. I made it a point to ensure that the craft paper was not just wrapped around the fuse, but that there was an air gap around the fuse within the folds of the paper. It's my opinion that it's actually the trapped gases that accelerate quick match.
I had theorized that the fuse in the craft paper would burn faster, but the difference between the two was negligible at best. If my theory about the burning gases getting ahead of the flame front in quick match is correct, then I would continue that theory with the thought that fast fuse does not produce the same amount of flammable gases that the black match does. Possibly because the black powder is exposed in the quick match it is able to produce more gases than the quick fuse can?
These are all just theories....
The only thing I didn't try was putting multiple stands of fuse in a paper sheath.

So much to learn

BMoore
05-15-2020, 09:13 AM
The past few years I've been buying "Quick Hobby Fuse." Basically the same as the the gray fast fuse but it is lacquered to help prevent side ignition and moisture absorption. Burns just as fast as the old gray paper fuse. I'm not sure if its just a new and improved version of the gray fast fuse or an separate product, but I'd recommend it.

Amaturepyro
05-16-2020, 07:54 PM
That was an idea I had as well. Putting multiple strands of the grey fuse through the piping and see if it would speed up the rate. Which I’m sure it would do I think

hatsgoods
05-17-2020, 11:33 AM
hey Dave the new gray fuse is now solid chuck of visco. you are thinking of the original old type that is like the small stands wrapped in a tissue papper like the the old BIG'S fireworks brand. bigs dont make it anymore so the new stuff coming out of china is has a white plastic cover with a bag and comes in 20 foot rolls instead of the old BID'S brand came in 17 foot long rolls.

hatsgoods
05-17-2020, 11:40 AM
That was an idea I had as well. Putting multiple strands of the grey fuse through the piping and see if it would speed up the rate. Which I’m sure it would do I think

yes it burn slighty faster and even if you cover it in foil tape.

displayfireworks1
05-17-2020, 04:52 PM
I took a closer look at the gray quick fuse and compared it to the perchorate quickmatch that presented so many problems. To me the gray consumer fuse looks like it is perchlorate fuse also. Also note the consumer fuse already has a sleeve on it.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4894&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4895&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4896&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4897&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4898&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4899&stc=1

displayfireworks1
05-17-2020, 04:53 PM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4900&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4901&stc=1

jamisonlm3
05-17-2020, 06:01 PM
I have to say, I'm surprised, but not suprised. I have some yellow fast fuse, but it not like the white fast fuse.

BMoore
05-17-2020, 06:32 PM
I had some perchlorate quickmatch that I removed 3 of the 5 strands and it behaved much closer to traditional QM. Much less violent. Perhaps all I did was convert it into the equivalent of fast fuse.

displayfireworks1
05-17-2020, 08:25 PM
On a few of those pictures I mixed the perchlorate quick match in with the gray consumer fuse to illustrate it is basically the same stuff. On a side note I am thinking the yellow fast fuse is better because it may be more resistant to side ignition. For the right application, you want a fast fuse , but not too fast. Particularly when you are trying to pass the fire to a Consumer Fireworks visco product.

displayfireworks1
05-17-2020, 08:26 PM
hey Dave the new gray fuse is now solid chuck of visco. you are thinking of the original old type that is like the small stands wrapped in a tissue papper like the the old BIG'S fireworks brand. bigs dont make it anymore so the new stuff coming out of china is has a white plastic cover with a bag and comes in 20 foot rolls instead of the old BID'S brand came in 17 foot long rolls.

I'll have to look for that version of fast fuse.

joewad
05-17-2020, 11:11 PM

It would be an improvement. It must be recent, I bought a few hundred feet about 2 months ago.

hatsgoods
05-19-2020, 12:46 AM
It would be an improvement. It must be recent, I bought a few hundred feet about 2 months ago.

yep ill say its a tad more stable than the older bigs brand too. cuz it is woven like regular visco too. a few pyro sites that have fuse one of them i know has a twice a year sale on cases of rolls. i got a case of 48 rolls of 20 foot long each for about $39 plus tax and shipping about 4 years ago when the newer white " Quick fuse " first came out to replace the first original BIG'S brand papered type.

hatsgoods
05-19-2020, 12:51 AM

yes most online websites that sell fuse have the new type. and the old first type of the papper one from big's brand it like a porechalte type as in a type of black match but is only wrapped once with thin tissue papper and can take fire from spray sparks just like regular 1.3 Gclass B black match and quick match and is a pain in the ass cuz any moisture and dew that gets on it it no good. as even non waterproof and even water restraint quick match the dew and water in the air it takes time to soak thought the papper but for the big's brand any water in the air will render it completely useless.

PyroGyro
05-21-2020, 07:59 AM
FWIW I have a pyro friend who's been a pro for many years and he has flat out told me that wrapped gray fuse will burn faster, however, he did tell me that you need to use multiple strands of gray fuse as well. That said I've never tried it myself as I don't really have a use for it in 1.4.

joewad
05-21-2020, 09:40 AM
On a few of those pictures I mixed the perchlorate quick match in with the gray consumer fuse to illustrate it is basically the same stuff. On a side note I am thinking the yellow fast fuse is better because it may be more resistant to side ignition. For the right application, you want a fast fuse , but not too fast. Particularly when you are trying to pass the fire to a Consumer Fireworks visco product.

To help passfire to consumer visco while using the consumer fast fuse I double over the end of the fast fuse about an inch and a half and tape that onto the visco. Works everytime.

Toncatmad
05-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Hello everyone. I am new here. I make my own black match and then either install it in commercial rolls of red quick pipe or simply roll my own quick pipe out of kraft paper. If you have never made your own black match it is super simple.
I use my own homemade black powder with air float red cedar charcoal I make in a retort and the only binder I use is Agro Starch liquid. It dries pretty fast outside on a warm day. Last weekend I made about 1000 feet of it in a day. I then store in a 5 gallon bucket. No perchlorate used as it?s too violent. The quick match I make has a very good even burn rate and once it hits the piping it is instantaneous to the shell

displayfireworks1
05-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Be great if you could post some pictures. Do you start with a piece of cotton thread. I would be curious how you set it out to dry?

minute_man777
05-25-2020, 03:33 PM
Thought about making my own black match at home, found a tutorial on youtube on how to make it but didn't know whether or not if I would need an ATF license to properly store it.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-25-2020, 11:24 PM
Would love to see pictures of your process and maybe even a video.

Toncatmad
05-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Sorry guys busy with work. I own a commercial roofing company and we are a bit busy lol.
Yes I could def our up pics or a video. It is really quite simple to do. I use 2 strands of 8ply pure cotton string. I am testing some Unmercerized cotton now as it is a fuzzy pure cotton so it should accept the black powder easier.
I simply set up 2 saw horses with small 1” screw in hooks on them spaced 2-3” apart. Then I stretch the string across them. I keep the horses 10-20’ apart depending how much I am making. A 100’ batch takes me about 10 minutes to make from coating the string to hanging to dry. Once it’s crispy on the outside I simply wrap it around a 2 gallon bucket and then allow it to dry the rest of the way. Once dry the coil fits nicely in a 5 gallon bucket to stay safe and dry.
I make my own black powder with PN 75%, sulpher 10% and red cedar charcoal 15% that I make myself in a retort.
I have no issues helping anyone do it and seriously it is so simple and comes out very good you would never buy fast fuse again that I promise. It also has a very steady burn rate

Toncatmad
05-29-2020, 10:29 AM

A few pics. It is covered all the way to the core. I pulled the strings apart for you to see. It is 2 separate 8 ply pure cotton

AquaticPyro
06-01-2020, 02:22 AM
The .2 seconds fast fuse is nasty! It spews everywhere! Use it with caution. I use the 1 second stuff when I can.

AquaticPyro
06-01-2020, 02:24 AM
The older one was also only half as fast.

Robbro097
06-01-2020, 05:02 PM
I was wondering about this consumer quickmatch (perchlorate) thats attached to some dominator pro stuff. Ill b firing 2 cakes on the same cue but was hoping to have a slight delay in them so was planning on folding and knotting it to add a slight delay like dave showed in a video years ago with i wanna say little big shots. (Mayb wrong on that) and was wondering if any1 has tried this b4 on this stuff, does it respond the same as the good stuf, or is it just so violent it doesnt care or blows itself apart or something. I do have a cpl extr slices that ill b testing for clearance reasons and will test this as well but was just curious if any1 has tried b4?

joewad
06-09-2020, 12:32 PM
Found this video from Ned Gorski on how to make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NVHXboLsL4