PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically question

Mississippipyro
05-11-2020, 12:21 PM
If a person wanted to start a business doing shows using only 1.4 consumer and 1.4Pro product for weddings, birthday parties etc. what kind of licensing would be required.

displayfireworks1
05-11-2020, 10:22 PM
The common business requirements in your state would be the first thing to do. Transportation and shoot insurance would be next on the list. Storage , contracts , employees etc. Have a chunk of change in a bank account dedicated to business expense. Have a regular real job in addition to trying to make a 1.4 shooting business work or more than a seasonal level.
Or, operate under the radar with none of that and hope nothing goes wrong.

Mississippipyro
05-12-2020, 06:36 AM
This would be a small time thing mostly giving me the ability to shoot small shows outside of the normal legal dates. I would have no employees, storage would be a shipping container, transportation would most likely be a rented U-haul (I’m not aware of any special requirements for transporting 1.4g consumer fireworks). I would definitely have the insurance. At the end of the day I just want the ability to shoot legally and it would make equipment purchases tax deductible lol.

displayfireworks1
05-12-2020, 08:28 AM
If your only desire is to make your fireworks related equipment purchases tax deductible , you can do that just by working part time for a display company as an independent contractor. You have to do two things, one is work for a display company and the second one is to pay someone to do your taxes that is knowledge and keeps records of your expenses from year to year.
If you really want to start a display business, I suggest you first work for a display company. The insurance brokers are going to be looking for some level of experience to determine you rate/risk level. Also look at your market , who is going to pay you to do this on a regular level. Most people that do these 1.4 small displays for a fee, do it under the radar.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-12-2020, 11:12 PM
I definitely agree with Dave on the having a chunk of change and a main job. I have a side business doing these small shows in my state. General display insurance isn’t too bad around 4-5k per year but it’s based on the companies yearly revenue. So as business goes up so does my insurance. From talking to my local state police department of commerce they have instructed me this way in regards to transportation. As long as I’m intrastate, in a vehicle with a GVWR of less than 16,000 lbs and hauling less than 1000 lbs of 1.4 fireworks there are no transportation regulations. If any of those 3 things change then I would fall under DOT regulations (CDLw/hazmat, internal training for hazardous materials, placards when over 1000 lbs and 1mill insurance policy for transportation.)

Arclight
05-13-2020, 01:04 AM
From talking to my local state police department of commerce they have instructed me this way in regards to transportation. As long as I?m intrastate, in a vehicle with a GVWR of less than 16,000 lbs and hauling less than 1000 lbs of 1.4 fireworks there are no transportation regulations. If any of those 3 things change then I would fall under DOT regulations (CDLw/hazmat, internal training for hazardous materials, placards when over 1000 lbs and 1mill insurance policy for transportation.)

^Same for a small blaster, FYI. I keep it under 1,000lbs of 1.4 or 1.5 and thus avoid placarding. I can get product that doesn't become 1.1D until you mix it together on-site. I was also told 1M in trucking insurance if transporting larger/interstate 1.4 and $5M for 1.1.

Mississippipyro
05-13-2020, 06:18 AM
Thank you everyone for the information.
I will likely do something next year after all this Covid-19 stuff is over.