PDA

View Full Version : Filament tape instead of spiking?

RalphieJ
05-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Has anyone used filament tape in place of spiking their shells?

PyroJoeNEPA
05-11-2020, 12:03 PM
If you are asking about spiking a cylinder shell, no, I have not...I gave up on cylinder shells due to the issue of arthritis in my hands and not being able to apply the tension needed to properly spike a salami. I have never seen anyone use anything other than string in spiking a salami.
If you are asking about pasting a ball shell--I have used the fiberglass filament tape when I had to finish something quickly that I wanted to put in the air for a club shoot and didn't have a couple days drying time for the paper tape to dry. It works...however, I would much rather get the proper number of paper tape layers on a ball shell.
I have seen people use the filament tape on plastic hemis, but I prefer not to use the plastic hemis due to the trash and fallout it creates in the field.

SharkWhisperer
05-17-2020, 11:19 PM
If you are asking about spiking a cylinder shell, no, I have not...I gave up on cylinder shells due to the issue of arthritis in my hands and not being able to apply the tension needed to properly spike a salami. I have never seen anyone use anything other than string in spiking a salami.
If you are asking about pasting a ball shell--I have used the fiberglass filament tape when I had to finish something quickly that I wanted to put in the air for a club shoot and didn't have a couple days drying time for the paper tape to dry. It works...however, I would much rather get the proper number of paper tape layers on a ball shell.
I have seen people use the filament tape on plastic hemis, but I prefer not to use the plastic hemis due to the trash and fallout it creates in the field.

Filament tape works great for spiking 2-3" canisters; I haven't tried larger. Fast, simple, cheap, functional, but leaves a little plastic/fiberglass residue scattered about...A few turns is the rough equivalent of a time-consuming but pretty string spiking. Excellent for rolling out tons of smaller shells rapidly.