PDA

View Full Version : FM transmitter

Mississippipyro
05-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Hello, I?m considering making my show a pyro musical this year and one option brought up was to use an FM transmitter to send out the audio. Has anyone ever done this before? If so what are your thoughts.

Arclight
05-10-2020, 01:22 PM
They sell these on AliExpress for around $100 and they seem to work OK. Unlike anything digital. there is no lag or out-of-sync issue. I would keep transmitter away from any of of your wiring and pyro firing equipment that it might interfere with. Even though it's on a different frequency, they aren't always very clean in output.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-10-2020, 01:48 PM
We have been doing this for several years. Send me a PM and I will send you the links to the equipment you need in private.

displayfireworks1
05-11-2020, 10:46 PM
Hello, I?m considering making my show a pyro musical this year and one option brought up was to use an FM transmitter to send out the audio. Has anyone ever done this before? If so what are your thoughts.

This is why some display companies and employees of display companies are not happy with the advanced fireworks enthusiast. We are starting to look and behave more and more like them. We are all where they were technology wise 15 years ago. It use to be a 20 year differential between us. Every 5 years that gap differential gets closer and closer. I remember a display company first doing this in Pittsburgh in cooperation with a local radio station. And now here it is in backyard fireworks. I think its great. Whats next? Maybe a phone app where all of your neighbors can rate your display.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-12-2020, 04:59 AM
Ha... Build me an app where I can target certain neighbors with mortar barrages. Now there's an app I can use! :cool:

krayg
05-12-2020, 08:10 AM
It's been mentioned in their facebook group that the Cobra firing systems app is in the works that will allow users to use a phone app and earbuds to listen to the music. I don't see why they couldn't add the ability to rate the show. :)

esgrillo
05-12-2020, 09:15 AM
It's been mentioned in their facebook group that the Cobra firing systems app is in the works that will allow users to use a phone app and earbuds to listen to the music. I don't see why they couldn't add the ability to rate the show. :)

Rick lol

I use an FM tranmitter as well. I am sure Joe has the best hardware current options.

Krayg, you bring up a point to remember, you have to have a traditional FM receiver to get FM signals from these small transmitters so phone apps that get internet FM based radio do not work in this case. They work for cars, home stereos, even an old boom box lol.

Birdman
07-26-2020, 11:39 PM
We have been doing this for several years. Send me a PM and I will send you the links to the equipment you need in private.

I just purchased a FM transmitter...PM'ed you for advice.

Arclight
07-27-2020, 02:30 PM
If you are trying to cover a big area, building a good antenna makes a big difference. If you know anyone into HAM radio, get them to help you adapt a 2M band amateur radio antenna design to the 3M or Fm broadcast frequency. A "ground plane" or "J-Pole" would be a good choice. This on a mast to get it off the ground a bit will increase your range dramatically.

Salutecake
07-27-2020, 04:05 PM
This is why some display companies and employees of display companies are not happy with the advanced fireworks enthusiast. We are starting to look and behave more and more like them. We are all where they were technology wise 15 years ago. It use to be a 20 year differential between us. Every 5 years that gap differential gets closer and closer. I remember a display company first doing this in Pittsburgh in cooperation with a local radio station. And now here it is in backyard fireworks. I think its great. Whats next? Maybe a phone app where all of your neighbors can rate your display.

I think it's great too, Dave. But I wish the display companies would not have such a narrow and demeaning view on us enthusiasts. From reading these boards, it seems most people here put on their annual family, friend and or community show, once a year, and then perhaps another small personal show. We do it as any hobbyist does his or her hobby, we purchase products for our hobby, spend time and money taking classes to improve our hobby skills, spend time travelling --- my point we spend -- and a good portion of that goes to our fireworks dealers and organizations. Even with the same equipment as the pro display companies, how many enthusiast are willing to give up their day job. I would also believe that any enthusiast here is capable of putting on a great show but would they be called upon or be capable of producing the roof top show you did in Pittsburgh? If hobbyists do produce shows, they probably do only a few a year for a friends wedding or birthday party, business that big companies probably wouldn't get because of the price, where a friend with the right stuff might do it for cost or little profit. So, a niche not filled buy a company but by a hobbyist.
Another point i think these display companies should worry more about the big box syndrome, than enthusiasts. Lowes, Home Depot - thig big places took the business away from the smaller lumber yards, not the backyard guy building sheds on the side. Heck a few years ago I had a conversation with my dentist and how the box stores like Aspen dental are taking over - the kids coming out of college find it easier to join a practice already established than to start their own. well I could go on, which I did, lol, but again just had to add my 2 cents.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-27-2020, 05:41 PM
If you are trying to cover a big area, building a good antenna makes a big difference. If you know anyone into HAM radio, get them to help you adapt a 2M band amateur radio antenna design to the 3M or Fm broadcast frequency. A "ground plane" or "J-Pole" would be a good choice. This on a mast to get it off the ground a bit will increase your range dramatically.

I sent him info on an "add on" 1/4 wavelength FM transmitter antenna on Ebay that will boost the transmission range SIGNIFICANTLY.

Birdman
07-28-2020, 11:17 AM
If needed I will purchase the additional antenna. I'll be able to test the FM transmitter next month to see if I get the range I need out of it without any additional gear. I'm fairly certain the 1000' will be plenty on the open water (for those not aware my audience is on boats and the show is fired on the shore of a lake). This past 4th there were only 4 boats and all could hear the soundtrack from the boat I was shooting from and playing the soundtrack on. The plan next year is to have a boat positioned a bit closer to the shoreline to keep anyone out of the "safety zone". This is probably where I will fire the show from so I just need to be able to transmit the FM signal a few hundred feet to the other boats behind us. There was some buzz on facebook after my show last year and the FM Transmitter is also just in case we see more boats at the show in the coming years.

Thanks for the advice!

PyroJoeNEPA
07-28-2020, 02:52 PM
Birdman--if you decide to get the other antenna--check and make sere the connectors on the FM Transmitter and the other antenna match up. One person I know got an antenna with a different connector [other than the standard BNC connector-it was a TNC connector] -and had to get an adapter plug--not something you can source locally. So, be aware of the connectors.