PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable fuse connection method?

Mississippipyro
05-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Hi all-
I?m wondering what everyone uses for connecting fuse. The photos shows how I use cable ties but wanted some feedback on how reliable you guys have found this method.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4869&stc=1

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-07-2020, 09:04 AM
For the most part this method works for me. I will fuse all my mortar racks this way then either hand light or attach an igniter to the start of the leader fuse when using my system. However to date I have not had a show where every shot went off like it should. I always seem to have one or two shells that the fusing skips over. Whenever I fuse cakes like this I will double fuse them just to be extra sure I don’t have a misfire. A canister shell or two, nobody will notice. Miss an entire cake or two? People would notice that.

esgrillo
05-07-2020, 09:18 AM
Hi all-
I?m wondering what everyone uses for connecting fuse. The photos shows how I use cable ties but wanted some feedback on how reliable you guys have found this method.

I use zip ties and almost always cover with tape as I am typically grouping cakes with the same tape. I do however use a method that is straight connection vs your "Y" connection. That way the fire leading to the next fuse has a cut ent to ignite exactly where they first overlap

tmwjr
05-07-2020, 12:06 PM
I use uhaul packaging tape. I pinch it so the sticky side hits the other sticky side. That stuff will rip your fingerprints off. And it's cheap.

Scotty Rockets
05-07-2020, 03:04 PM
After 20 years I?ve found nothing beats masking tape for reliability and affordability. Even better reliability use aluminum tape. Make sure you cut fuse tips at an angle to expose bp

joewad
05-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Always remember to cut your fuse tips at an angle, as previously stated, to expose some powder. Always run you "recipient" fuse in the direction of your lead fuse. When I'm connecting fast fuse (.6 sec foot) to slower visco I have started to folding an inch or so over so it runs upon both side of visco fuse. I've used Uhaul's packing tape exclusively. I know the zip tie method can look neater but I'm worried about functionality with minimal time so it's Uhaul magic tape for me.

Mississippipyro
05-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone has given great advice. I have been cutting the fuse at an angle (both cake fuse and the fuse I’m attaching I also made some sticky match and started laying it over in some cases. This is a video of me testing it today.
https://youtu.be/oepbg-5lfyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oepbg-5lfyI&feature=youtu.be

pyroboom
05-07-2020, 08:46 PM
I think when it comes to passfire it boils down to personal preference. I'm a zip tier myself and use toenail clippers to trim them back. I use 2 per and make them about an inch apart. The ties fit right into my cargo shorts pocket and so do the clippers. (Then when I'm done fusing outside I can clip my actual nails and the wife does not yell it me... okay, I've never done this before).

DavidthePyro
05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
I think when it comes to passfire it boils down to personal preference. I'm a zip tier myself and use toenail clippers to trim them back. I use 2 per and make them about an inch apart. The ties fit right into my cargo shorts pocket and so do the clippers. (Then when I'm done fusing outside I can clip my actual nails and the wife does not yell it me... okay, I've never done this before).

Can definitely relate. Picked up the nail clipper trick from you. Its excellent for portability. I am double fusing everything this year to be safe. 109 cakes, 600 shells. I had a few cakes last year that didn't ignite. Got my zip tie and fuse order from Pyroboom a few days ago. Can't wait for the 4th!

displayfireworks1
05-08-2020, 08:45 AM
In Post #1 of this thread, that fuse looks like gray fast fuse. That fuse is prone to side ignition. If you lay long lengths out, it may go off when you do not want it to from a stray ember of another product. Also in that same picture , you have the green Visco side by side with the gray fuse. Remember green Visco supplied with a Consumer Fireworks is design to resist side ignition. Here is where a piece of the magic tape comes in. You can zip tie if you wish, I would also add a piece of tape to over the tip of the green fuse and the gray. This should direct the fire into the core of the Visco. When you cover fuse with tape don't worry it needs oxygen to burn. Fireworks products and fuse carry there own oxygen supply (oxidizers).

Scotty Rockets
05-08-2020, 03:39 PM
I’m curious why uhaul packing tape over masking tape for fusing?

joewad
05-08-2020, 03:59 PM
I?m curious why uhaul packing tape over masking tape for fusing?

To me, the Uhaul tape is a bit tackier and holds fuse better. Though I occasionally use good masking tape for other fireworks needs my go to tape is always Uhaul tape. Give it a try.

AxeElf
05-08-2020, 04:43 PM
To me, the Uhaul tape is a bit tackier and holds fuse better. Though I occasionally use good masking tape for other fireworks needs my go to tape is always Uhaul tape. Give it a try.

Another vote for U-Haul tape; the best paper tape I have ever found--as well as being cheap and easy to find (if you have a U-Haul store).

ttam23
05-09-2020, 01:51 AM
I only use Dave's magic tape ( aka U-haul packing tape)

Rick_In_Tampa
05-09-2020, 02:55 AM
Late to the party as usual, but I will echo what many have said. I zip-tie the visco to the fuse and then tape over it with Dave's magic (U-Haul) tape. The fuse being lit always faces the direction of the oncoming fire. In other words, both fuses should never be going in the same direction as is pictured in the initial post. (I assume you'll be adding another fuse that runs into that union in your picture).

Dave made an excellent point about using that paper fuse and leaving it exposed. Very susceptible to side ignition and you risk having effects go off prematurely. Definitely want to keep that in mind.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-09-2020, 02:57 AM

Down here in the swamp, Dave's magic tape is the ONLY tape to use. That stuff will stick water molecules together. I've used masking tape before and it unravels pretty quickly in the humidity. If it rains before the show (and it ALWAYS rains before the show!!) it all comes undone. Not with the U-Haul tape. Definitely worth the money.

Mattp
05-11-2020, 07:51 AM

just to clarify,, theyre not talking about the clear plastic "packing tape"... this is basically a thicker, stickier masking tape that is sold at the uhaul stores... and i agree too.. seems to be the better tape to use... i also use the foil tape sometimes

krayg
05-11-2020, 10:48 AM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4873&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4874&stc=1

displayfireworks1
05-11-2020, 10:53 PM
For the price and performance UHaul Tape aka Daves Magic Tape, its the best. It was the number one question on my YouTube video years back, everyone was asking what is that tape I kept using. UHaul noticed a spike in sales , contacted me and even gave some free tape one time. And that was it, one time. LOL One day I'll have to tell the tape story again for new members.

AquaticPyro
05-13-2020, 04:10 AM
The fuse can slide around with ties, even if tight. I use Aluminum tape. SUPER adhesive and fireproof. I do a lot of fuse timing wan then fire each set from a firing system. If you super insane use both ties and aluminum tape. I tried scotch tape and found it not as reliable.

AquaticPyro
05-13-2020, 04:11 AM
Foil tape cost more but works best.

AquaticPyro
05-13-2020, 04:12 AM
I have never had foil tape fail.

upNdown
05-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Not cakes, but I found knots perfectly reliable last year. This is how I plan to do all shells in the future.

displayfireworks1
05-27-2020, 06:39 PM
Not cakes, but I found knots perfectly reliable last year. This is how I plan to do all shells in the future.

I believe that is the first time I ever saw that technique. I'm not sure what to make of it. Considering Visco fuse is resistant to side ignition what is your failure rate? It looks like a Clove Hitch Knot.

joewad
05-27-2020, 08:49 PM
Knotting works quite well, I posted a youtube video of it I found a few months back.....I'll try to find it again. FYI: Makes the reported timing of lead fuse quite close to what it is advertised as.

joewad
05-27-2020, 09:02 PM
Found it but it appears uploader made video private.

I tried it a couple times with milk crates and was pretty impressed on how much it slowed down shells, each of the 50 shot. I was using safety fuse 30 sec per foot as leads of each row with a primary lead of same fuse running the length of all five (5) rows and it was pretty well spot on. Good way to eliminate a sky puke and enjoy the shells.

upNdown
05-27-2020, 09:11 PM
I believe that is the first time I ever saw that technique. I'm not sure what to make of it. Considering Visco fuse is resistant to side ignition what is your failure rate? It looks like a Clove Hitch Knot.

Some kind of hitch - I'm no knot guy. 0 failure rate, but we're only 36/36 so far - not a huge sample size.
I originally tried it because I thought it might even out the timing (as suggested above) and it did, somewhat. But I just found it a lot quicker to fuse that way, once I got rolling.

And the other benefit I found is that I had some shells with fuses that were too short. I was good with tying them, assuming once they started burning, they'd drop to the bottom of the tube. And they did. But if I'd taped them (dangling in the tube) I'd be afraid the weight of the shell would pull the fuse free from the tape.

rfgonzo
05-28-2020, 12:47 AM
That technique has been around for a bit. I used it years ago with good success.