PDA

View Full Version : Does flash get stronger over time?

RalphieJ
05-04-2020, 11:40 AM
This is a phenomenon that I've experienced a few times in the past. Does it appear that flash powder gets stronger over time? Or is it just me? The other day I found a few 1.4 Silver Salutes (Keystone Brand) that were at least 5 years old and fired them off. They seemed more powerful than the fresh ones that I fired last summer. I have no newer ones to use as a comparison. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

PyroKing31
05-04-2020, 12:00 PM
More often than not its either watered down product later in production. Another thought is these are made in batches in different factories, there may be some inconsistent loading. some may have truly 50mg of flash, some might have 12-18 35 etc.

I've taken apart a pack of crackers and done them one by one and even in that instance they vary in their strength.

wingman
05-04-2020, 03:34 PM
This is a phenomenon that I've experienced a few times in the past. Does it appear that flash powder gets stronger over time? Or is it just me? The other day I found a few 1.4 Silver Salutes (Keystone Brand) that were at least 5 years old and fired them off. They seemed more powerful than the fresh ones that I fired last summer. I have no newer ones to use as a comparison. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Flash won't get stronger over time, but if it has a chlorate it will certainly increase in sensitivity if exposed to moisture and wild temperature swings. Also, think about how humid it is where this stuff is made and stored. Once given time to dry out you may notice improvements in performance with firecrackers, but this not a general rule.

ttam23
05-09-2020, 02:01 AM
I would think that flash would get weaker over time do the the aluminum in contact with an oxidizer. however 50 + plus year old firecrackers and m80 seem to preform just fine