PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 Application Ready

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Well I got Daves DVD package. Watched the videos filled out the application and now have my contingency letter. Only thing holding me back now is getting a sheriffs office to let me come inside during the pandemic to complete my finger print card. I highly doubt Ill be done in time for this year but hopefully by next year I?ll be ordering 1.3 for the first time! Heres hoping I don?t screw something up!

joewad
05-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Well I got Daves DVD package. Watched the videos filled out the application and now have my contingency letter. Only thing holding me back now is getting a sheriffs office to let me come inside during the pandemic to complete my finger print card. I highly doubt Ill be done in time for this year but hopefully by next year I?ll be ordering 1.3 for the first time! Heres hoping I don?t screw something up!

I know I'm just a few counties away from you but the Sheriff's office here suspended finger printing services at the beginning of lockdown. Now this week the state is starting it's first week of opening back up. Hopefully this will open things back up for you. I would suggest calling them this week to determine status.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-03-2020, 06:12 PM
I know I'm just a few counties away from you but the Sheriff's office here suspended finger printing services at the beginning of lockdown. Now this week the state is starting it's first week of opening back up. Hopefully this will open things back up for you. I would suggest calling them this week to determine status.

Yea from what i have heard Clark county where I am is the same. Im going to call around tomorrow and see if anybody can help me out. The Louisville ATF office said they are still doing interviews and that it’s business as usual for them. So lockdown or not they said they would come out for my interview once it gets to that point.

displayfireworks1
05-03-2020, 08:44 PM
What going to start opening is going to vary by state starting Monday. Call around and see if you can get the fingerprints else where. See who is doing the CDL Hazmat driver license fingerprints in your state. Search it out. There is still time to get licensed to make a purchase for the July 4th holiday. They may in fact be moving faster on these ATF license now that they can do it all by phone. I am encouraging fireworks enthusiast to keep it all going. I heard from one ATF applicant in Ohio a new inspector is trying to delay to "Wait until all of this over". I told him call her supervisor and report it, the ATF in all of these other states are keeping application going, Ohio is no exception. Look around and get those fingerprints elsewhere and send that application in.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-04-2020, 01:39 AM
What going to start opening is going to vary by state starting Monday. Call around and see if you can get the fingerprints else where. See who is doing the CDL Hazmat driver license fingerprints in your state. Search it out. There is still time to get licensed to make a purchase for the July 4th holiday. They may in fact be moving faster on these ATF license now that they can do it all by phone. I am encouraging fireworks enthusiast to keep it all going. I heard from one ATF applicant in Ohio a new inspector is trying to delay to "Wait until all of this over". I told him call her supervisor and report it, the ATF in all of these other states are keeping application going, Ohio is no exception. Look around and get those fingerprints elsewhere and send that application in.

Thanks Dave. I definitely will. I live about 30 minutes from the ATF office that covers me so hopefully scheduling the interview won’t be to bad since it’s not a far drive for them. My show is scheduled for the 11th this year so I got an extra week.

Arclight
05-04-2020, 03:16 AM
ATF is Federal, so they just send someone from whatever office has someone available. Being far away from an office isn't a problem.

Salutecake
05-04-2020, 09:07 PM
For my fingerprint I went to a UPS store, can't remember but cost about 25 bucks, I think.

joewad
05-04-2020, 10:23 PM
For my fingerprint I went to a UPS store, can't remember but cost about 25 bucks, I think.

Learn something everyday, good info

Slaker
05-05-2020, 03:32 PM
I heard from one ATF applicant in Ohio a new inspector is trying to delay to "Wait until all of this over". I told him call her supervisor and report it, the ATF in all of these other states are keeping application going, Ohio is no exception. Look around and get those fingerprints elsewhere and send that application in.

I'm in Northeastern Ohio and did a phone interview last month during our stay-at-home order. Total call length was under half an hour and my application was approved. So might have just been that inspector.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-06-2020, 08:20 AM

Has anybody else gone the UPS route for fingerprinting before? I talked to my local ATF office and posed the question which they responded law enforcement only. I'm tempted to try this since none of the sheriffs offices that I have contacted are allowing the public inside right now. However at the same time I dont want to do something that will jeopardize my efforts.

BMoore
05-06-2020, 09:29 AM
According to the ATF website "The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority." Whether or not that is strictly enforced I have no idea. The problem is that most places have gone to electronic fingerprinting and ink rolled fingerprinting is becoming a lost art. I had to had to make three trips to my local police station. First time, the person there to do fingerprints admitted she didn't know how to do ink fingerprints. The second time the prints were unreadable by the FBI and had to be re-done. Third time was a charm! I'm not sure I'd want to pay $25 to someone at a UPS store for something that is more complicated than you might initially think.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-06-2020, 09:49 AM
According to the ATF website "The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority." Whether or not that is strictly enforced I have no idea. The problem is that most places have gone to electronic fingerprinting and ink rolled fingerprinting is becoming a lost art. I had to had to make three trips to my local police station. First time, the person there to do fingerprints admitted she didn't know how to do ink fingerprints. The second time the prints were unreadable by the FBI and had to be re-done. Third time was a charm! I'm not sure I'd want to pay $25 to someone at a UPS store for something that is more complicated than you might initially think.

Thats the other thing Im running into is that the departments are either referring me to a third party since they only use digital or they wont let me in the building until the restrictions lift. I had hoped to have everything in the mail this week but its looking now like it could still be a while.

displayfireworks1
05-06-2020, 11:07 AM
The ATF will accept any authorized fingerprint place to do the fingerprints if you go to a digital place check if they have the option to print stickers and then the corresponding stickers are then placed in the appropriate spots on the fingerprint card.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-06-2020, 12:47 PM
The ATF will accept any authorized fingerprint place to do the fingerprints if you go to a digital place check if they have the option to print stickers and then the corresponding stickers are then placed in the appropriate spots on the fingerprint card.

Thanks Dave. I checked with the place that my local sheriffs office sends everybody to for printing and they can do the ink cards. Its ten bucks to have it done there so I will go with them to get this thing going. Really dont want to miss this season if possible.

Big thank you to everyone on this thread for the help!

Salutecake
05-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Hey I didn't get back to you sooner MidwestPyrotechnics, but what Dave said above "authorized fingerprint place".
So originally I talked with a local cop and they said they still do Ink Prints to stop over some day and they will do them for me. The day I stopped over to get them done the local cop told me the Chief said no he can't do them and wouldn't budge. 2 thoughts on that, he could of made a few bucks for the town, but second if you were chief of police of a town, wouldn't you want to know who was looking to blow things up in your town?

Anyway, what to do, I ended up at calling the UPS store and they said yes they did them, and for the ATF. Oh now I remember I think a teacher told me to check out UPS, cause that's where anyone in PA, that works with kids has to to go and get finger printed for background check and such.

It worked for me.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Hey I didn't get back to you sooner MidwestPyrotechnics, but what Dave said above "authorized fingerprint place".
So originally I talked with a local cop and they said they still do Ink Prints to stop over some day and they will do them for me. The day I stopped over to get them done the local cop told me the Chief said no he can't do them and wouldn't budge. 2 thoughts on that, he could of made a few bucks for the town, but second if you were chief of police of a town, wouldn't you want to know who was looking to blow things up in your town?

Anyway, what to do, I ended up at calling the UPS store and they said yes they did them, and for the ATF. Oh now I remember I think a teacher told me to check out UPS, cause that's where anyone in PA, that works with kids has to to go and get finger printed for background check and such.

It worked for me.

Thanks salute cake. I talked to my sheriffs department again and they referred me to a third party place at a clinic that was still open. When talking to them they said that they’ve done finger print cards for ATF for FFLs quite often with no issue. It cost ten bucks to do it. Needless to say I went for it. Application is in the mail as of this morning.

Fulliautomatix
05-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Interesting, i know the ATF will accept fingerprint cards you do yourself for NFA purposes as long as you use the FD-258 cards and don't make a mess of it. You can get the cards and ink on Amazon.

displayfireworks1
05-07-2020, 07:56 PM
I scanned a copy of the exact card the ATF wants for your review . Apparently there are two very similar cards, one is FBI and the other is specific to explosives. I include the ATF Explosive fingerprint card in my ATF DVD Application kit.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4870&stc=1

zmaster725
05-11-2020, 04:45 AM
Has anybody else gone the UPS route for fingerprinting before? I talked to my local ATF office and posed the question which they responded law enforcement only. I'm tempted to try this since none of the sheriffs offices that I have contacted are allowing the public inside right now. However at the same time I dont want to do something that will jeopardize my efforts.

Here?s what I did!
Ordered a kit on amazon, it came with like 10 fingerprint cards, ink pad, and tray thing.
I fingerprinted myself. I even signed it as self.

It took less than a month from the time I sent in the app til I had my paper license in the mail.

Mattp
05-11-2020, 08:00 AM
when i did mine i used the card that came from dave.. so that part was easy... but around here all of the local precincts dont do fingerprinting for the public... i had to go to the main "central booking" precinct and it was 20$.... was a simple process but had to drive to the other side of the county to get it

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-11-2020, 09:27 AM
when i did mine i used the card that came from dave.. so that part was easy... but around here all of the local precincts dont do fingerprinting for the public... i had to go to the main "central booking" precinct and it was 20$.... was a simple process but had to drive to the other side of the county to get it

I used the card the Dave sent in the package as well. I filled it out myself except for the signature of the official and had them do my prints on it. It only cost 10 bucks down here. Application was in the mail Thursday of last week. Ill update this thread as things progress.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Very interesting thread. Following this one to see how everybody makes out. Best wishes for a speedy process, guys!

displayfireworks1
05-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Here?s what I did!
Ordered a kit on amazon, it came with like 10 fingerprint cards, ink pad, and tray thing.
I fingerprinted myself. I even signed it as self.

It took less than a month from the time I sent in the app til I had my paper license in the mail.

That is a first, apparently it worked. LOL I have seen those fingerprint kits for sale on Ebay also

AquaticPyro
05-14-2020, 08:19 AM

It is only a few buck at the police station and even free if just doing a records check.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-14-2020, 10:41 AM
It is only a few buck at the police station and even free if just doing a records check.

I found a few departments that do it. But the PD’s in my state arent letting the public inside and have suspended fingerprinting services.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-14-2020, 12:11 PM
ATF finally charged my card today. Haven’t heard anything from anybody yet but at least it’s progressing that far.

joewad
05-14-2020, 01:00 PM
ATF finally charged my card today. Haven’t heard anything from anybody yet but at least it’s progressing that far.

It won't be long, I believe you'll make it by the fourth. And if not, you got labor day (my personal favorite), I shoot the weekend before Labor Day weekend. I believe Dave does as well with his Collier Sportsman Club shoots. I prefer shooting then for a couple of reasons, attendees seem more "pumped up" and ready because they know fall is approaching. Secondly, it's normally a bit cooler than July and the sun sets an hour earlier than in the first of July. Also, from reading other posts it's possible your ATF interview will be over the phone. You'll do fine.

displayfireworks1
05-14-2020, 07:54 PM

Answer all phone calls you receive even if you do not know the ID and check your email. Now that they moved forward on the payment and they are doing things by phone it appears to be moving faster. Keep us posted.

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-15-2020, 08:20 PM
It won't be long, I believe you'll make it by the fourth. And if not, you got labor day (my personal favorite), I shoot the weekend before Labor Day weekend. I believe Dave does as well with his Collier Sportsman Club shoots. I prefer shooting then for a couple of reasons, attendees seem more "pumped up" and ready because they know fall is approaching. Secondly, it's normally a bit cooler than July and the sun sets an hour earlier than in the first of July. Also, from reading other posts it's possible your ATF interview will be over the phone. You'll do fine.

I actually have a show scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Or did before all this covid stuff went down. I talked to the people doing it and they didn’t seem very certain that they would go ahead with it. Hopefully they change their mind. I’m in desperate need of some pyro therapy!

joewad
05-16-2020, 12:07 AM
I actually have a show scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Or did before all this covid stuff went down. I talked to the people doing it and they didn’t seem very certain that they would go ahead with it. Hopefully they change their mind. I’m in desperate need of some pyro therapy!

If we track through the 5 phases outlined by the Governor without missing a step, labor day weekend will be open to 250+ personnel permitted. Which, by the way, phase 5 begins upon July 4th. Keep your eye on the states website of https://backontrack.in.gov/2348.htm

displayfireworks1
05-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Speaking of the ATF, in Ohio an newly hired ATF Inspector was refusing to process an applicants application and interview because he was not going to register as a business in Ohio. First off he is a hobbyist from one of my wfboom.com classes. After around 3 weeks he has now received word that she checked and he does not need to register as a business. We knew that all along , the problem is not all of these ATF Inspectors are aware. Don't let the ATF tell you that you need to meet requirements that are not part of the Federal application process.
The list of what you DO NOT need to be ATF Display Fireworks licensed is bigger than what you actually DO NEED.
Have you heard anything on the Indiana application?

MidwestPyrotechnics
05-22-2020, 07:34 AM
Speaking of the ATF, in Ohio an newly hired ATF Inspector was refusing to process an applicants application and interview because he was not going to register as a business in Ohio. First off he is a hobbyist from one of my wfboom.com classes. After around 3 weeks he has now received word that she checked and he does not need to register as a business. We knew that all along , the problem is not all of these ATF Inspectors are aware. Don't let the ATF tell you that you need to meet requirements that are not part of the Federal application process.
The list of what you DO NOT need to be ATF Display Fireworks licensed is bigger than what you actually DO NEED.
Have you heard anything on the Indiana application?

Radio silence so far. Every time a scam call or wrong number calls I start getting excited. Hopefully I’ll here something soon. One of local agents in Louisville sent me a text before i sent in my application and said to call him as soon as they clear my background check.

displayfireworks1
05-22-2020, 03:11 PM
They will all be off for the holiday now. Maybe end of next week they will call

displayfireworks1
06-05-2020, 08:28 PM
I just heard from an ATF license applicant out of Ohio from my classes at Wholesale Fireworks. A new inspector interviewed him by phone and tried to run all that old BS we have been dealing with over the years in various states. For example she was telling him he has to register as a business and went on to try to delay it until the COVID-19 virus lock down was over. He refused all of that and insisted she proceed with his application.
Today he tells me via Facebook. He received "The White Envelope". Seem strange saying it that way because for years we always said the "Blue Envelope" .

MidwestPyrotechnics
06-08-2020, 08:42 AM
Hopefully ill be contacting you to tell you that before too long. Still haven't heard anything since they processed my application.

Kaelisdad24
06-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Had my interview a few weeks ago, and it was very smooth.They called about 5 days after they charged my card. It showed up as private number on my caller ID . The lady was very nice . I to am hoping for the envelope soon.

MidwestPyrotechnics
06-09-2020, 08:37 AM
They called about 5 days after they charged my card. It showed up as private number on my caller ID .

Dang. 5 days? They charged my card back on May 15th and I still haven’t heard anything.

joewad
06-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Dang. 5 days? They charged my card back on May 15th and I still haven’t heard anything.

Stay positive. My original interview took a few months from submission to call to visit. Also being from Indiana, I think sometimes it takes longer than the norm.

gnavarr
06-09-2020, 10:07 PM

Dude, I'm in the same exact boat! I finally called the contact number at the end of the application on the page of instructions, got transferred to apparently whatever extension was for state/type of license I was applying for, and it went to voicemail. Left a message and so far no call back, so I'm gonna call again tomorrow.

MidwestPyrotechnics
06-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Update. Got a phone call from my local ATF field office this morning. Had the interview over the phone. Went very smooth. Guy was very easy to talk to and didn’t try to sway me or anything. Phone call lasted about 40 minutes. Just emailed him the regulation acknowledgment form. Not sure if everything will be finalized by the 4th this year but as Joewad mention in an above thread there’s always Labor Day!

joewad
06-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Congratulations

displayfireworks1
06-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Update. Got a phone call from my local ATF field office this morning. Had the interview over the phone. Went very smooth. Guy was very easy to talk to and didn?t try to sway me or anything. Phone call lasted about 40 minutes. Just emailed him the regulation acknowledgment form. Not sure if everything will be finalized by the 4th this year but as Joewad mention in an above thread there?s always Labor Day!

Good your making progress , it should go fast now. Let us know when the White Envelope ( Formally known as the Blue Envelope ) arrives.

MidwestPyrotechnics
06-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Add another type 54 to the list. Permit came in the mail today! Want to give a big thanks to Dave and everyone on this forum for all the help in assisting me with this!

joewad
06-21-2020, 12:42 AM
Add another type 54 to the list. Permit came in the mail today! Want to give a big thanks to Dave and everyone on this forum for all the help in assisting me with this!

Congratulations and enjoy.........

Salutecake
06-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Congrats!!!!

displayfireworks1
06-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Congratulations on your new ATF Fireworks license, just in time for the July 4th holiday