PDA

View Full Version : From an isolated bunker (living room) somewhere north of Detroit...

N.E. Pyrotechnics
04-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Hello all,
Our names are Mike and Michelle. We are both new to fireworks, and we look forward to joining the "pyro community". I (Mike) grew up in a house where the philosophy was that fireworks were nothing but a waste of money blah, blah, blah... I actually bought into that philosophy for far too many years. Fast forward to the summer of 2019. Michelle (the other half of this dynamic duo) had listened to me talk about how much I did enjoy the few fireworks that I had memories of as a child and suggested that we stop at the fireworks tent right around the corner from our home. She bought herself some big sparklers, we picked out a pack of Roman candles, a 200 gram cake that I do not recall the name of, and she got me a sleeve of Sir Lancelot canister shells....

All of the conditioning that Stormin' Norman (my father) had done during my formidable years was immediately erased from memory before I could start to get the fuse unwrapped on the second can.
In that moment that I sent that first canister shell into the air, watched it break, followed it's trails through the dark sky... The sounds, the colors, the smells all washed over me and brought a joyful feeling that I think anyone reading this understands what I'm talking about.

We started checking out this forum not long after learning how much we enjoyed fireworks. It didn't take long to realize what an incredible resource this forum is. I have learned from all of you. Thank you Dave, and thank you to all that share your knowledge and wisdom.

Mike and Michelle

Pgdark19
04-28-2020, 02:57 PM
this is great...lol

I completely understand about the first canister launch. nothing like that "thump" you feel from the launch. :D

FinnAmerican
04-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Welcome Mike & Michelle!...I'm also from the metropolitan Detroit area. And new to shooting Fireworks.

vegassalute
04-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Welcome Mike & Michelle! I get exactly what you're saying, may you relive that excitement a thousand more times! Glad to have you here!

displayfireworks1
04-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the pyrotalk forums. Great introduction and a very similar story we all have. LOL

PyroJoeNEPA
04-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Hi Mike and Michelle and welcome to PyroTalk. Our "little" community is like a typical Italian family--it keeps growing, and growing, and growing! Settle in and, most of all, be safe. Don't ever be hesitant to ask questions. We are all here for each other.

rfgonzo
04-28-2020, 09:49 PM
Welcome from Sterling Heights.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-29-2020, 12:42 AM
Welcome aboard Mike and Michelle!! Sounds like the smoke worked it's magic on you both. That's great! Just be careful. It gets expensive from here! Lol...

Seriously... As Joe mentioned, we're here to help one another, so don't be shy! Jump right in and enjoy the ride. :cool:

N.E. Pyrotechnics
04-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

FinnAmerican
04-29-2020, 05:22 PM
N.E. Pyrotechnics, do you plan on shooting Memorial Day weekend? Most people in my neighborhood, shoot mainly on the Fourth. I'am taking advantage of one day for each holiday. Memorial Day weekend,Fourth of July, Labor Day, New Year's Eve and NYE's Day (12:00am-1:00am)

N.E. Pyrotechnics
04-29-2020, 10:57 PM
Absolutely we will be shooting that weekend. I know we have committed to being in the Chicago area for a shoot one night of the Memorial weekend, but I'm not sure what night that is.
I have the product and my plan put together for my first attempt at a small show that weekend. It will end up being about 7 to 8 minutes of chain fused cakes, shot in three different segments, with some cans between the segments, and afterwards. All shot from a single position, until the last 90 seconds or so, when I'll have multiple cakes going for a modest finale'
Like, I said, it's my first attempt, so I'm starting relatively small in my mind.
Several towns/cities in Michigan have kept the dates outlined by the state law that are a lot more firework friendly than the minimum 12 days required in the law. Many cities still allow fireworks the day before, the day of, and the day after a National holiday. This equates to 30 days a year that are open to shoot on. The town/village just to the north of us happens to be a "30 day" town.
This has become a lengthy answer to a simple question, sorry. I get started talking about fireworks, and it just starts flowing...

N.E. Pyrotechnics
04-30-2020, 03:41 PM
Accidentally posted that reply twice....