PDA

View Full Version : zip ties on mortar rack

liam
12-09-2011, 07:50 PM
hi everyone:
Used my new 30 shot HDPE 12" fan rack this past weekend. Used zip times to fuse the entire rack together. About half way through the shoot, the firing stopped. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the main cannon fuse was pinched too tight and it snuffed itself out. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and what might be done to avoid it in the future? I dont want to leave the zips too lose that they become disconnected as one shell leaves the mortar, but at the same time, I dont want it the zip ties too tight that it snuffs out again. I made sure that the wicks from each artillery shell was facing the direction of the fire on the cannon fuse. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
thanks,

Palermitano2
12-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I am not a fan of zip ties...I used them before then i discovered Daves Magic tape and thats all i use.....Sounds like you did all you could for it to work correctly.

fatcat
12-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Tape is the best. just got a bunch of Dave's tape but before just used basic scotch tape and never had a problem. good luck

wpman321
12-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I to use Daves magic tape never a problem even with quick match, never wanted to attempt to mess with small zip ties.

pyro man 205
12-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I have used The zip ties and it work fine for me. when i used them i make sure 1inch of fuse from my shells is making contact to the main fuse, with the fire going the direction to the cannon fuse. hope this helps out. do a test first.

Pyro Nation
12-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I never had luck with them either... Zipties failed quite a bit for me... I always used tape found it works alot better

J's12talk
12-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Not a fan of zip tyes, I use masking tape to tye fuses together. I also cut the ends of the shell or cake fuses on an angle to expose more of the black powder center. I like Daves tape for some things but I don't like using it for tying fuses together.

PyroMonkey
12-10-2011, 12:20 AM
I have also seen a tight zip-tie squelch a burning fuse. I tried zip-tying racks a couple of times, with acceptable results. Had a couple of shells not take fire, but I've also had the same results when taping fuses. One of Dave's videos (366 1.75" salutes, or something like that) illustrates a real-world tape vs. zip-tie analysis. Lots of zip-tied shells that needed to be manually lit afterward. To me, it comes down to this: I don't like the idea of a couple hundred bits of plastic zip ties all over my yard after a show... and taping is faster. You want as much fire in contact with the fuse as possible, and I simply don't see how zip-ties are a logical choice.

indianahx
12-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Tape vs ties.....matter of opinion and preference. Do what J's12 said and diagonally cut the fuse at the tip to expose as much black powder core as possible and put a tie as close to that as possible and a second an inch or closer to the first (if you didn't already do so).

Just try out both to find out which works best for you. I'm an electrician so I've always got rolls of black electrical tape and works great for me. Good luck!

Pyro Nation
12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
I always use electrical tape until using the magic tape...rips easier

NW Fireworks Lover
12-10-2011, 02:10 AM
The metal foil tape used for hvac is awesome, I've had 100% passfire and I used to only use zip ties. The foil tape also keeps the fire inside of it very nicely to aid ignition. You can get it at wally world for about $6. Good luck!

gmttnt13
12-10-2011, 02:10 AM
where can you get Dave's magic tape. Last year I had 45 cakes fused on 11 boards and then fused each board together and lit just one starter fuse and did not have a single miss fire. I used zip ties and then used electrical tape so it burned hot.

NW Fireworks Lover
12-10-2011, 02:11 AM
where can you get Dave's magic tape. Last year I had 45 cakes fused on 11 boards and then fused each board together and lit just one starter fuse and did not have a single miss fire. I used zip ties and then used electrical tape so it burned hot.

U-haul, online or in person.

Pyro Nation
12-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Yeah... Like NW said... online at uhaul.com. at there store. or there is some stuff like it on other websites

liam
12-10-2011, 08:47 AM
It seems like based on everyone's comments, tape is the way to go. I will look for "Dave's Magic tape". I'll make sure to have 1" of the shell's fuse against the lead cannon fuse.
Has anyone ever used a product called "fuse connex"? I saw it online and it looks pretty simple and looks to have a good firing rate.

UniversalPyro
12-10-2011, 09:58 AM
You know this thread is crazy...bottom line, burn your zip ties, its such a crappy way of tying fuses and is a disgrace to the fireworks industry. zip ties = failure. Some say that if you need some good tips on tying fuses, ask the Mexicans :) Have a great weekend!

PyroJoeNEPA
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
OK--gotta put my two cents in---You can take all afternoon & use string & clove hitches to tie your fuses together & get really good at it & then only take half the afternoon to tie everything off---or you can use tape or zip ties---- I have been using zip ties for years---the trick is not to use too much pressure in closing them--I never use the hand tool--it makes them too tight IMO & I also trim off the excess. Two zip ties per connection & like others have said, if you trim your fuse on an angle it helps pass fire. I use them in my "real job" as an audio engineer & have used thousands of them over the years. The problem I have found with them in chaining fuse is usually the fuse--not the technique! I got a case of yellow fast visco last spring & have had some issues with some of it. I had two 10 shot cannister chains at a local shoot last week that I pre-fused with that yellow fuse & used Dave's Magic Tape--I had 2 shells on one string & one on another not fire. I blame it on the yellow visco--not the tape or my technique...also, we used a bunch of that same fuse on Dave's video with the 366 salutes...so it is possible it was a fuse issue or also possible the fuses were zipped too tightly. There were a lot of people fusing everything up that day--several people using zip ties & several people using tape and I don't recall that many shells not lighting --maybe 4 or 5 out of 366. With all those different people putting it all together I don't think there was any way to expect 100% ignition. Maybe Dave or Jay can comment on how many shells were unlit afterwards? I never had an issue with the Pink Fast Fuse! I like Dave's Magic Tape & also use the HVAC foil tape, Seems it is a matter of personal preference---BTW I used all zip ties on my July 2nd show for my chains & had 100% pass fire.

pyromaniac
12-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I was there when the 366 salutes were chained up and lit. ALL the failures were on the shells that had zip ties on them. I remember someone even saying how this would be a great test to see what works better. Since so many people helped out and used different techniques! I think there was at least ten failures with the zip ties. Dave's magic tape is by far the most reliable way to go! May be harder to work with, but you know it's going to pass fire for sure.

floridapyro
12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
It seems like based on everyone's comments, tape is the way to go. I will look for "Dave's Magic tape". I'll make sure to have 1" of the shell's fuse against the lead cannon fuse.
Has anyone ever used a product called "fuse connex"? I saw it online and it looks pretty simple and looks to have a good firing rate.
Ive used zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, scotch tape never had a problem with any. At group shoots we set off hundreds of consumer shells fused both ways. The only time ive seen a problem was when one guy didn't use a leader fuse. He just connected each fuse to the previous one. As far as fuse connects I use them when I want perfect timing between shells, because only the tip of the fuse touches the lead fuse. 100% passfire but pricey. I also have one bad hand and if im in a hurry they are really fast.

westcoastpyro
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I was at a shoot last night, I was making up my first board I started out using cable ties but after the first three cakes I started using tape (painters tape) I even went back and took the ties off and replaced them with tape. I will never go back. Only had one cake not fire out of three boards about 25 cakes in all.

Palermitano2
12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
OK--gotta put my two cents in---You can take all afternoon & use string & clove hitches to tie your fuses together & get really good at it & then only take half the afternoon to tie everything off---or you can use tape or zip ties---- I have been using zip ties for years---the trick is not to use too much pressure in closing them--I never use the hand tool--it makes them too tight IMO & I also trim off the excess. Two zip ties per connection & like others have said, if you trim your fuse on an angle it helps pass fire. I use them in my "real job" as an audio engineer & have used thousands of them over the years. The problem I have found with them in chaining fuse is usually the fuse--not the technique! I got a case of yellow fast visco last spring & have had some issues with some of it. I had two 10 shot cannister chains at a local shoot last week that I pre-fused with that yellow fuse & used Dave's Magic Tape--I had 2 shells on one string & one on another not fire. I blame it on the yellow visco--not the tape or my technique...also, we used a bunch of that same fuse on Dave's video with the 366 salutes...so it is possible it was a fuse issue or also possible the fuses were zipped too tightly. There were a lot of people fusing everything up that day--several people using zip ties & several people using tape and I don't recall that many shells not lighting --maybe 4 or 5 out of 366. With all those different people putting it all together I don't think there was any way to expect 100% ignition. Maybe Dave or Jay can comment on how many shells were unlit afterwards? I never had an issue with the Pink Fast Fuse! I like Dave's Magic Tape & also use the HVAC foil tape, Seems it is a matter of personal preference---BTW I used all zip ties on my July 2nd show for my chains & had 100% pass fire.

Come on PyroJoe this is more like a nickel.....lol....but I got your point.....

Pyro Nation
12-11-2011, 09:13 PM
No... like 25 cents.... as he said..it is really a personal preference on what u use. I just really hate zip ties...lol

Palermitano2
12-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I am so addicted to Daves tape when I see a uhaul store I am tempted to stop in......I have like 10 rolls already in my pyro tool box...

Pyro Nation
12-12-2011, 12:33 AM
LOL.. i went to uhaul this pass friday to have a hitch installed... While I was there I couldnt help myself, but to buy some.... I already had 5 rolls at home.. Now I have 9..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

pyromaniac
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
LOL.. i went to uhaul this pass friday to have a hitch installed... While I was there I couldnt help myself, but to buy some.... I already had 5 rolls at home.. Now I have 9..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAt least I know I'm not the only one now. I bought ten rolls last year and only used maybe a roll and half! Maybe I'll use it to wrap Christmas presents this year!:rolleyes: I always like it anyways when people have a hard time opening my gifts! I seem to always tape the shit out of them...lol

Pyro Nation
12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
U too... I get satisfaction watching them struggle... all i can think... U need to earn this gift... u were bad all year... I did it to my wife for her birthday... I wrapped her IPAD 2 up and then used duck tape on it

Palermitano2
12-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I think that tape is better then Duck tape. I use it for everything pyro and non pyro where tape is needed.....

Pyro Nation
12-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh it is but for cut factor it is harder to cut duct tape than the brown tape

pyro man 205
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
well i use both zip ties and painters tape, masking tape all works good.i put some aluminum foil around it also works great. but as pyrolif has said personal preference on what u use.

Xplosive
01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I use both methods just be sur you dont make the zip ties too tight an use two to cover at least 2 inches.I like the magic take as well.

Pyro@Mach13
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
I have also seen a tight zip-tie squelch a burning fuse. I tried zip-tying racks a couple of times, with acceptable results. Had a couple of shells not take fire, but I've also had the same results when taping fuses. One of Dave's videos (366 1.75" salutes, or something like that) illustrates a real-world tape vs. zip-tie analysis. Lots of zip-tied shells that needed to be manually lit afterward. To me, it comes down to this: I don't like the idea of a couple hundred bits of plastic zip ties all over my yard after a show... and taping is faster. You want as much fire in contact with the fuse as possible, and I simply don't see how zip-ties are a logical choice.

This post, it is as if I wrote it... haha. Dave's video was an eye opener. I just precut a bunch of 1" X 1" pieces of duct tape and found it was the fastest way for me to fuse up my boards and racks.

Pyro Nation
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
NO DUCT TAPE>...... USE THE MAGIC TAPE>...lol

NW Fireworks Lover
01-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Once again I gotta pimp the HVAC foil tape. Another cool thing about it is you can leave the fuses taped together for months and months, and it will hold and still pass fire. I started fusing a couple things in march of last year for the 4th because I couldn't wait and the tape did not unravel at all, the brown stuff will unravel after some time. That foil stuff really took me away from zip ties.

VTcakeBOSS
02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
the clove hitch knot works best, as well as ipg packing tape/DAVES TAPE... I found a dollar store up my way that carrys IPG's tape line from painters tape,daves,clear,duct, you name it I was blown away! but it was $2 a roll because just about every product in this "dollar store" is more then a dollar... why even call it a gosh darn dollar store!!! not mad at the price as I paid 3.49 at u-haul but its the whole dollar store thing that gets me!!

PyroJoeNEPA
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
the clove hitch knot works best, as well as ipg packing tape/DAVES TAPE... I found a dollar store up my way that carrys IPG's tape line from painters tape,daves,clear,duct, you name it I was blown away! but it was $2 a roll because just about every product in this "dollar store" is more then a dollar... why even call it a gosh darn dollar store!!! not mad at the price as I paid 3.49 at u-haul but its the whole dollar store thing that gets me!!

I guess now the name "Dollar Store" means they want every dollar you have. LOL!
I wonder where they learned that American concept?????
Still a great deal for you, though!!

J's12talk
02-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I guess now the name "Dollar Store" means they want every dollar you have. LOL!
I wonder where they learned that American concept?????
Still a great deal for you, though!!
I have one of those in my town, I will not mention the name but I I'm going there tomorrow to see if they stock it.

Pyro@Mach13
02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
NO DUCT TAPE>...... USE THE MAGIC TAPE>...lol

Yes, for this year's 4th show I will be using that stuff for sure!

Pyro@Mach13
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I have one of those in my town, I will not mention the name but I I'm going there tomorrow to see if they stock it.

You find it?

J's12talk
02-05-2012, 10:33 PM
You find it?

Haven't gone yet.

Pyro@Mach13
02-06-2012, 01:03 AM
think I will try tomorrow too, have a couple out this way...

Jdrobinson13
02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I use both tape and zip ties. I will say that I believe it is completely preference on what you use. Many people say why use zip ties since they cost more, but I normally find zip ties at a rather cheap price. Also, I have never had a problem with zip ties failing or causing a shell not to ignite, but in ONE case I did have tape fail. I prefer zip ties because it looks slick and I know those shells aren't going anywhere when I zip tie them.