PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July celebrations cancelled

Berserker23
04-12-2020, 03:57 AM
I hate to bring politics to this forum but cities who are cancelling their celebrations this soon are crazy it’s 83 days away, this year’s Fourth of July will unite Americans like never before. The Covid-19 is here to destroy the economy by are government and to destroy President Trump before the election, the United States can’t continue to live like this it’s time to reopen things, I believe they are counting every death as a covid-19 death.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-12-2020, 05:21 AM
I would agree that it's a tad bit early to be cancelling the 4th of July altogether. Having said that, there are certain logistical realities cities have to consider that we don't. So I can see how NYC would maybe have to cut their loses now and try again next year. But for us back yard shooters, the show must go on!

As for the Covid/Trump thing... I don't believe covid came here to destroy Trump any more than I believe the Easter Bunny left me a big chocolate egg this morning. Listening to these fools on TV vilifying every little thing the man does or says is really REALLY getting old already. I seriously hope people let go of their hate already and come together for the good of the country for once. No. Trump isn't Hillary. He's not Satan either. So what I tell people is show up or shut up. If you don't vote you don't have any right to complain. If you do vote and your guy/gal doesn't win, it's not the end of the world. You'll have another shot in 2 or 4 years. Spend the time doing something productive instead of trying to find new things to complain about.

joewad
04-12-2020, 11:38 AM
At least its warmed up some up here in this part of the country. With this TP shortage I was getting a bit chilled and a bit tender going outside to wash off. You gotta have a sense of humor in these trying times.

And yes, I believe firework shoots will happen but the compressed time frame for the landing and distribution of the goods may cause an issue for some.

Birdman
04-12-2020, 02:02 PM
It could be that cities are/will cancel shows because city budgets are being strained because of the pandemic. I know my small city is 5 mil in the hole so far. I also don't see many businesses and people willing to donate funds for fireworks this year with so many other causes that need funding. If cancelling of firework displays becomes widespread I would hope the federal government would step in with some aid by either funding shows or keeping display companies afloat until next season. Should consumer retail locations be allowed to open I think you will see more backyard fireworks than usual, especially if larger gatherings of people are still banned.

The reason we shut down was to avoid ending up like Italy. Nothing would ruin Trump's re-election chances then being too lax with social distancing and seeing many more overwhelmed hospitals and deaths. It's hard to blame Trump for the economic downturn but deaths due to not listening to medical professionals will fall squarely on his shoulders. I am sure he is very much aware of that and that is not only why we are currently practicing social distancing but will until he, and other state politicians, are fairly certain it will not cause a major spike in hospitalizations and deaths.

MontanaMike
04-13-2020, 04:08 PM
If cancelling of firework displays becomes widespread I would hope the federal government would step in with some aid by either funding shows or keeping display companies afloat until next season.
As important as fireworks are to all of us, I think you would have a hard time convincing the general public that fireworks displays are essential enough that we need to fund them (or bail out the industry) with tax dollars.

I do believe many politicians and the media are "politicizing" the virus issue to their own ends, which is disgusting. People on both sides of the aisle will get upset about that, rightfully so.

We already have our wfboom stash here, so it just remains to be seen if the show will go on this year or not.

displayfireworks1
04-13-2020, 08:19 PM
The little bit that I am hearing is many communities are putting their decision on public display on hold for now. Which is the right decision , between now and Memorial Day we are going to be able to predict the July 4th holiday and professional displays.

Mattp
04-17-2020, 10:05 PM
They already cancelled the nyc show... and a lot of other city programs due to budget cuts..very thankfully for me, garbage will always need to be picked up . another reason would be they don’t want crowds of people showing up to watch a fireworks display .. it is still pretty early for a lot of the country to make that call though