PDA

View Full Version : Problem in west virginia.

Tgwinn
04-05-2020, 09:38 PM
I began the process a few months ago of obtaining my license, it got put on hold a few times dealing with life. I have filled out all paperwork and am ready to send it in, but I was recently told I need a few other things to pursue.

I was under the assumption that once I got my Type 54, I was good to go. But was recently told that the type 54 is just to purchase 1.3g, but I need a shooters license to physically light them off. I also need to pass a test by the fire marshal. Can anyone shed any light on this? I am just a hobbiest doing shows for family and friends on the 4th. So do I need all the other stuff? Any help would be appreciated.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-05-2020, 11:30 PM
Looks like you are correct. The 54 is just to be able to purchase 1.3G. In order to shoot them in West Virginia, you need a permit and insurance and possibly a $1K bond depending on your AHJ in your area.

https://www.americanpyro.com/assets/docs/State_Laws/wv16.pdf

Tgwinn
04-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Looks like you are correct. The 54 is just to be able to purchase 1.3G. In order to shoot them in West Virginia, you need a permit and insurance and possibly a $1K bond depending on your AHJ in your area.

https://www.americanpyro.com/assets/docs/State_Laws/wv16.pdf

Thank you very much. This is very helpful. I've been told so many different things it's been frustrating. Sadly this probably means I wont be pursuing the 1.3g side any further.

displayfireworks1
04-06-2020, 10:16 AM
You gave up too quickly. No one I know gets the ATF license and says now what do I do . Go one step at a time

Rick_In_Tampa
04-07-2020, 03:00 AM
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. I've been told so many different things it's been frustrating. Sadly this probably means I wont be pursuing the 1.3g side any further.

Before you give up, I would recommend you at least drive over to the nearest fire station and see if you can talk to the AHJ about it. Ask him or her if they require a bond for a private show. Explain your circumstances. If you own 100 acres and there's 0% chance you can damage anyone else's property, he might tell you you don't need anything. It's worth a shot.

Worst case is, you drive over to Pa by Dave and shoot at one of his sites!

snickels
04-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Tgwinn, if you are interested in shooting more than just your backyard, let's talk! I'll send you a PM.

Tgwinn
04-07-2020, 11:24 PM
Tgwinn, if you are interested in shooting more than just your backyard, let's talk! I'll send you a PM.

I would be interested, just starting to get my feet wet. What exactly is an AHJ?

Rick_In_Tampa
04-08-2020, 03:02 AM
I would be interested, just starting to get my feet wet. What exactly is an AHJ?

Sorry... AHJ is Authority Having Jurisdiction. Generally the Fire Marshal or Police Chief in your town.

Arclight
04-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Take it in bite-sized chunks. Nobody thought I was going to go from zero to having a fully licensed blasting operation in California, but I got it done. You have the ATF permit, which worst-case means you can meet up with someone else who already has all of the state and local permits dialed in. Or go to shoots out of state to gain experience.

Move forward with those angles, but also make some calls, starting at your local fire station. They are the people who will get called out if someone complains. Then find out what state and local permits if any are needed to put up a magazine in your property. You may find that none of the steps are that complicated, but that they require sending in forms, waiting, meeting with people, getting a letter from your neighbors, etc.

Mattp
04-08-2020, 10:04 PM
You can always join a pyro club too and shoot 1.3 at their open shoots.. or when some distributors hold open shoot nights too

Marlin07
04-09-2020, 02:24 PM
I urge you to go get more experience with 1.3g product. Work a few shows for a local display company for free, just to get the experience. 1.3 stuff can hurt or kill you if your not familiar with it
!

Tgwinn
04-13-2020, 05:55 PM
I've been in contact with a member from here to join thier company as a shooter. So we will see where that goes. Thanks for everyone's input.

displayfireworks1
04-13-2020, 07:57 PM
I've been in contact with a member from here to join thier company as a shooter. So we will see where that goes. Thanks for everyone's input.

That is great, I encourage all fireworks enthusiast to work at least part time for a display fireworks company. The entire country depends on a massive amount of part time pyro-technicians to help our country celebrate the July 4th holiday with professional fireworks displays. Plus it gives you a great patriotic feeling and sense of accomplishment.