PDA

View Full Version : Properly dispose of firecrackers

FinnAmerican
03-29-2020, 10:29 AM
I recently read a comment on YouTube. A guy said he cut open a "Silver Salute" by Big Fireworks. The composition was a gram and a half of flash. I'm not going to try one of them. I have over 100. And the only Big Fireworks store nearby closed down, last year. So, I can't return them. What's the best way to dispose of these..? I hate to do it, but I must.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4827&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
03-29-2020, 11:11 AM
The preferred method of disposal--to ensure complete destruction of all chemicals inside---is to light the fuse!

Arclight
03-29-2020, 04:39 PM
He's right. Go get some MJG Firewires and do it from a distance if you like.

RalphieJ
03-30-2020, 01:58 PM
Fuse them up with medium-fast fuse, suspend them on a horizontal wire for a miniature batteria.

BMoore
03-31-2020, 08:07 AM
I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that they contain 1.5g of flash which would be a true Silver Salute. What you are showing is being sold everywhere and they are 1.4 consumer firecrackers. It's possible that there was an overloaded batch or a bootleg batch but I wouldn't count on it.

If you really want to destroy them, put them in a bucket of water and wait for them to fall apart. You can also put them in kerosene which will help dissolve the glue and make them fall apart faster.

Fulliautomatix
03-31-2020, 11:02 AM
Now, I'm kinda new here, but I seem to be missing something. Why aren't you just lighting them? Why do you feel the need to dispose of them?

joeld1212
03-31-2020, 11:40 PM
Now, I'm kinda new here, but I seem to be missing something. Why aren't you just lighting them? Why do you feel the need to dispose of them?

This! If they really have a gram and a half, light em with a big grin on your face!

BMoore
04-01-2020, 08:19 AM
This! If they really have a gram and a half, light em with a big grin on your face!

Yep! Or send them to me and I'll "dispose" of them for you! Seriously though, what reason do you have to not want to light these other than some comment you saw on YouTube? I've had these Big Fireworks "Silver Salutes" before with the center fuse. They are sold all over the place and put in assortments. They are definitely not true silver salutes. They are a normal 1.4 firecracker in fancy packaging. Do you have any evidence that these are overloaded? Any evidence that they are bootleg 1.3 and not really Big's product? Any recalls? If the answers are No then I think you are worrying over nothing.

Mattp
04-02-2020, 08:52 AM
unless that whole comment was what he saw on youtube.... i cant see anyone on this forum not knowing exactly what to do with those!!!..and enjoying every second of it..LOL.. . i opened one of those up a few years ago... and what was inside was actually a small firecracker about half the size of a regular one.. slightly bigger than a ladyfinger

RalphieJ
04-02-2020, 11:13 AM
"If you really want to destroy them, put them in a bucket of water and wait for them to fall apart. You can also put them in kerosene which will help dissolve the glue and make them fall apart faster."

Yesterday I checked with our parish priest and he said that doing this will extend your stay in Purgatory.

Justintime
04-02-2020, 06:15 PM
They are a firecracker dressed in a tuxedo

FinnAmerican
04-02-2020, 07:51 PM
I decided not to get rid of these. I'll take all of your advice and enjoy them.
They appear to definitely contain a little more than 50mgs. I won't worry about that.
I'll have to wait until Memorial Day weekend to try a few out.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4835&stc=1

I'am waiting for delivery of a 12 que (beginner's) wireless firing system.

Have one bag that is totally covered in flash powder. No little firecracker encased in plaster.
So I don't know for sure if it's indeed 1.5 grams. Just taking the word of a pyro YouTuber.

YouTube demo: "Silver Salute" (Big Fireworks)
https://youtu.be/ndtaqxcV8eE

Philly Pyro Kev
04-05-2020, 03:41 PM
These were actually pulled a few years back for being insanely overloaded. I have a pack of the ones that were pulled in my collection and they are very OL. 👍🏻

Philly Pyro Kev
04-05-2020, 03:43 PM
These were actually pulled a few years back for being insanely overloaded. I have a pack of the ones that were pulled in my collection and they are very OL. 👍🏻 I wouldn't go as far as saying 1.5 grams but maybe. 0.5 grams. They actually have a nice pop to them.

belmec3825
12-18-2020, 07:05 AM
You only live once. Why not light the fuse? Most everyone who has replied before me is a "senior member". And if they're saying lighting the fuse is the way to go, then put a big smile on your face and light it. Then enjoy the bigger grin when you do and realize that you were worrying over nothing. Have a great day.