PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks in difficult times

FinnAmerican1979
03-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Right now it's only two months until Memorial Day weekend (May 22-23).
I'm getting a bit itchy. I need to scratch this pyro itch...

This virus situation may cancel all future public firework displays; I don't think a rescheduling will happen. But it cannot stop us from putting on our own personal shows. At least this is something that can still put a smile on anyones face, during difficult times.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON!...

displayfireworks1
03-22-2020, 05:57 AM
Display companies are going to feel the impact of this. Even if United States gets a grip on this, I suspect people will still be reluctant to gather in large crowds this year. It may help the Consumer Fireworks folks as more people may choice to celebrate at home. I am willing to bet most independent shooters stopped getting calls and emails about July 4 displays until the outcome of this virus is known.

Ctpyro180
03-22-2020, 07:31 PM
Were going to happen to see the path of this virus and how long it lasts....My father who grew up during the "Great depression" always remembered the long bread lines and from there everyone went to the fireworks stands, that were soon sold out...

This weekend our NH store still remained open and was quite busy with most customers buying fireworks just to entertain themselves during this per se quarantine..

Lets hope for the best...

displayfireworks1
03-22-2020, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking the same thing , we may see more at home celebrations as people may shy away from large crowds. Now all we need is for China to expedite production and shipping to USA distributors.

Ctpyro180
03-22-2020, 09:37 PM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4823&stc=1

He picked out the right rockets....

Mattp
03-23-2020, 09:58 PM
For me it’s really screwing up my prep time.. if our 4th party even happens this year.. I store and prep all of my stuff at my shoot site which is my bros house in PA... but right now we are staying away from each other especially that this virus is all around me in NY now... so I don’t even know if I’ll be able to prep it all... I need 2-3 full days which I planned on doing over the next few months.. but who knows... I’d almost rather just get it already because the constant unknown and stress is driving me crazy.. not to mention I work for NYC and am considered essential.. so have to keep going in.. and multiple people are going out with it every day

joewad
03-23-2020, 10:32 PM
For me it’s really screwing up my prep time.. if our 4th party even happens this year.. I store and prep all of my stuff at my shoot site which is my bros house in PA... but right now we are staying away from each other especially that this virus is all around me in NY now... so I don’t even know if I’ll be able to prep it all... I need 2-3 full days which I planned on doing over the next few months.. but who knows... I’d almost rather just get it already because the constant unknown and stress is driving me crazy.. not to mention I work for NYC and am considered essential.. so have to keep going in.. and multiple people are going out with it every day

Breathe grasshopper, breathe. It will happen, you 'll have time.

jknepp1954
03-24-2020, 07:47 AM
Mike D - I am surprised you are still open yet. you are one of the lucky ones to do that.
States now are starting to shut the entire state down. All retail stores closed - INCLUDING FIREWORKS STORES. rESTAUANTS & Bars closed except for take out or drive thru. Mfg closed except for those needed open for this emergeny, cars sales closed, tax offices closed (hence the tax extension), etc.
We can survive being closed in April as it is a slow month anyway - maybe even survive to mid May, but after that??????

Ctpyro180
03-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Mike D - I am surprised you are still open yet. you are one of the lucky ones to do that.
States now are starting to shut the entire state down. All retail stores closed - INCLUDING FIREWORKS STORES. rESTAUANTS & Bars closed except for take out or drive thru. Mfg closed except for those needed open for this emergeny, cars sales closed, tax offices closed (hence the tax extension), etc.
We can survive being closed in April as it is a slow month anyway - maybe even survive to mid May, but after that??????

Hi Joyce...For now were open ...who knows ... Lets hope for a cure or at least a drug that will work on this virus...I think that will be the game changer.....

Rick_In_Tampa
03-25-2020, 01:20 AM

Matt - It's all good man. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not alone. I haven't scripted a single cue yet, and our SO76 order is still in the warehouse. Not expecting to see any of that product until the end of next month. But I'll get it done. Just like you. It will all come together before the 4th. It always does.

joewad
03-25-2020, 02:46 PM
My big shoot is always the weekend before Labor Day weekend. There's nothing written in stone that you must shoot July 4th. I think you'll still make it but keep in mind you have choices. Even Dave shoots his Collier Sportsman stuff later. I've always wanted to attend and bring product to his but I'm scheduled the same weekend as his. It still means the same thing and I've found more people enjoy fireworks later on in summer. Sunsets are an hour earlier and temps usually cooler.

displayfireworks1
03-25-2020, 04:13 PM
Here in Pittsburgh area the state police are passing out warnings to those business folks still trying to stay open
Travel is also restricted.

Birdman
03-26-2020, 11:07 AM
It appears many of us will be receiving stimulus funds. Those of us with job security in these difficult times could help the fireworks industry by using at least some of that money to increase our pyro budgets. I'm going to purchase another 18m Cobra mod that I wasn't planning on getting until next year. 18 more cues means more product I can add to my 4th show so some of that money will be spent on product as well.

joewad
03-26-2020, 02:40 PM
It appears many of us will be receiving stimulus funds. Those of us with job security in these difficult times could help the fireworks industry by using at least some of that money to increase our pyro budgets. I'm going to purchase another 18m Cobra mod that I wasn't planning on getting until next year. 18 more cues means more product I can add to my 4th show so some of that money will be spent on product as well.

Keep in mind that it will be sent out as a tax credit on your 2020 returns. If I understand that terminology correctly, and if you are one who consistently receive a yearly federal refund your 2020 refund will be minus your "stimulus" check received. I was seriously considering to shop the Cobra sale this week until "stimulus" check definitions were just released.

If I'm wrong I'd appreciate someone telling me then I'll proceed to get Cobr bit by sales end this Sunday.

BMoore
03-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Keep in mind that it will be sent out as a tax credit on your 2020 returns. If I understand that terminology correctly, and if you are one who consistently receive a yearly federal refund your 2020 refund will be minus your "stimulus" check received. I was seriously considering to shop the Cobra sale this week until "stimulus" check definitions were just released.

If I'm wrong I'd appreciate someone telling me then I'll proceed to get Cobr bit by sales end this Sunday.

Actually, your "stimulus" check will be in addition to and separate from your 2019 tax refund rather than minus. Not sure if that's what you were meaning to say or not. They will likely use your tax returns to determine your bank account and mailing address to distribute the payments. Of course, not everyone is required to file a tax return so there are some logistics to work our. Some are saying May-June might be a better estimate of when the payments will go out. Don't count your money until its in your hand but the stimulus will be in addition to any tax refund you receive.

You are correct that the purpose of the stimulus is to help those affected by the virus as well as stimulate the economy, not necessarily in that order. Stashing it away in savings is not the intended purpose. So if you need justification on spending it on pyro, there it is!

357pyro
03-26-2020, 04:31 PM

You would only have to pay it back if your income increased to the point you went over the income phase out limits that they have set. Even then there is some speculation that they wont require those tax payers to pay it back. The point of the stimulus is to inject money into the economy, so go ahead and sent that over to Scott's retirement fund. lol

BMoore
03-26-2020, 04:47 PM

Re-reading what you asked, the 2020 tax credit basically applies only if they can't find you to pay you. The stimulus checks are designated as an advanced payment on a 2020 refundable tax credit. That way if you don't get paid you can take a refundable credit on your 2020 tax return to get the money that way. Either way, the stimulus is in addition to your normal tax refunds. Hope that helps!

Mattp
03-27-2020, 05:51 AM
The way i read it... is that if you get a check.. its basically a loan that you will have to pay back from next years taxes... im no accountant .. and this stuff is confusing... but it sure sounds like that to me

BMoore
03-27-2020, 07:59 AM
The way i read it... is that if you get a check.. its basically a loan that you will have to pay back from next years taxes... im no accountant .. and this stuff is confusing... but it sure sounds like that to me

I'm a tax accountant and I can tell you that is not correct. The stimulus is NOT a loan that has to be repaid. What it is is an advanced payment of a refundable tax credit. First of all a refundable tax credit is one that you qualify for regardless of your tax liability. Some tax credits can only be used to the extent that they reduce your tax liability to zero, but a refundable one can reduce your liability to less than zero and you would receive the difference as a refund.

Now the stimulus is basically an advancement on a refundable credit. That means you will get a check (or direct deposit) in the coming weeks. Once you receive the money it eliminates the refundable credit you would be entitled to on your 2020 tax return. The net result is that you have your stimulus check which is non-taxable income and then you would file next year's tax return just as you normally would with the stimulus payment having absolutely no effect on your tax liability or your tax refund.

Where the credit comes into play is if for some reason you don't get a check because they can't find you to pay you. If that happens then on your 2020 tax return you can take the stimulus amount as a refundable tax credit. Then your tax refund would be your normal refund PLUS the stimulus amount.

The only reason its being done this way is because the only way to track down every man woman and child in the U.S. quickly is by using tax return information (addresses and direct deposit accounts). Of course, not everyone files a tax return or moves, etc. If they can't track you down thats where you have the option to add the stimulus to next year's tax refund. As long as you filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 you should get your stimulus payments sometime this spring. As always, don't count your money until you have it!

Rick_In_Tampa
03-28-2020, 01:22 AM
My brain hurts just reading all that.

So the bottom line is, unless you make more than $99K a year, you're getting a check you don't have to pay back. Sound right?

BMoore
03-28-2020, 05:03 PM
My brain hurts just reading all that.

So the bottom line is, unless you make more than $99K a year, you're getting a check you don't have to pay back. Sound right?

Yes, pretty much!!