PDA

View Full Version : (as of right now) what do you think the fireworks buiz will be like next year?

Icooclast
03-18-2020, 11:04 AM
and i don't mean this season, but the one after? will we still be reeling from the virus? as we've all seen (or are beginning to see) the new price lists for 2020 are up a bit. will things go back to normal(meaning: prices & availability) or will they have seen that we're willing to pay the extra money and not put that genie back in the bottle? and as far as production goes will china be in position to get production back to normal or even close-to-normal?

so far i've only heard of "cure" scams popping up and MAYBE a possible treatment, but they're using human test subjects for it.

or will we still be suffering from the lingering effects of the virus? thoughts?

Mattp
03-19-2020, 06:32 AM
we dont even know what tomorrow is going to look like!!! LOL.. but seriously!!

Icooclast
03-20-2020, 09:43 AM
even though i would hate for things to go far enough with this virus where there is not only no fourth of july, but no summer. if the whole 4th thing is a wash this year, will everyone in the fireworks biz want to try to recoup those losses the years after?? i know it's not for a long time and nothing can really be known yet, but it's not like any of us have much to do or places to go. i know one thing, even though i am so not an outdoors type of guy, it'll be very sad and annoying to have to spend most(or all) of the maybe all summer inside. and on top of that get right back into winter.

Fulliautomatix
03-20-2020, 12:24 PM
IMO, it might affect large municipal shows since they are organized by 'officials' who must be bound by public protocols, but I think it will have little impact on serious consumer shows, like a lot of us here. I think it is our duty to keep some semblance of normalcy during these strange days.

That said, if this continues to escalate and things keep getting shut down, I suspect the financial impact may influence the number and magnitude of shows that are put on.

beaver nation
03-22-2020, 10:33 PM
Prices will be higher for sure for several reasons: money supply (inflation), china likely raising prices to re coop losses. US sellers needing more funds due to this year being a down year

Rick_In_Tampa
03-24-2020, 02:21 AM
I don't care what side of the political aisle you're on, America always has a way of coming together during a crisis like this. We always find a way to save the planet, and this time will be no different. Then we will do what we always do, and get back to living our lives and pursuing our dreams. The rest of the world will follow because, well, that's what they do.

Will prices go up on pyro and other items? Maybe. The law of supply and demand will still apply post covid-19. So I'm not worried about this. Relax. Be smart. Protect yourself the best you can. When we're looking at covid-19 in the rear-view mirror, and all of our families are safe and secure, it will be a good day.

Mississippipyro
03-25-2020, 09:51 AM
IDK, all I know for sure is that my cases are going up July 4th 2020 at 9:30pm rain,shine, COVID-19 or not :D

Robbro097
03-25-2020, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=Rick_In_Tampa;64312]I don't care what side of the political aisle you're on, America always has a way of coming together during a crisis like this. We always find a way to save the planet, and this time will be no different. Then we will do what we always do, and get back to living our lives and pursuing our dreams. The rest of the world will follow because, well, that's what they do.

Amen]

Fox One
03-29-2020, 08:06 PM
Unsure of what 2021 will bring. But 2020 has basically been put on hold for me. Depending on what happens, I may even be forced to cancel my July 4th show. Having a gathering of 50 people during the middle of a pandemic may not be the smartest idea. If this happens, I'll just sit on my stash, add more to it next year and have one helluva 2021 show. That is provided the economy gets back on track and we all don't loose our jobs. As much as I love fireworks, they are only a hobby. I'm not putting another cent into fireworks until this crisis has passed. Right now I am focused just on surviving. With so much uncertainty about the immediate future, I just can't be spending money on non-critical item groups of which fireworks belong.

topshelfpyro
03-31-2020, 05:33 PM
Unsure of what 2021 will bring. But 2020 has basically been put on hold for me. Depending on what happens, I may even be forced to cancel my July 4th show. Having a gathering of 50 people during the middle of a pandemic may not be the smartest idea. If this happens, I'll just sit on my stash, add more to it next year and have one helluva 2021 show. That is provided the economy gets back on track and we all don't loose our jobs. As much as I love fireworks, they are only a hobby. I'm not putting another cent into fireworks until this crisis has passed. Right now I am focused just on surviving. With so much uncertainty about the immediate future, I just can't be spending money on non-critical item groups of which fireworks belong.

You just said fireworks are a non-critical item...…your fired......lol

Icooclast
04-01-2020, 01:09 AM
You just said fireworks are a non-critical item...…your fired......lol

lmao. i was thinking of "get out the touches and pitch forks" myself, but i thought to see if anyone else said it first, just because.

beaver nation
04-02-2020, 01:35 AM
You just said fireworks are a non-critical item...?your fired......lol

haha! well I'm afraid for several states this year they will be marked as "non-essential" and sales will be prohibited. Just a matter of time to find out. currently the wholesalers near me are shut down due to state decree....

jdels
04-03-2020, 03:11 PM

This is my exact position as well.

RalphieJ
04-04-2020, 03:26 PM
I'm concerned about the smaller display companies that depend upon their July 4th shows as their primary source of revenue. Their ability to survive a single year's loss is highly doubtful.

dirtysouthpyro
04-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Wholesale is a different story but I think retail prices may go down this year. I have a feeling there is going to be much less demand and that many people who generally buy fireworks aren't going to this year due to money problems since so many people have been laid off and won't have the luxury of being able to spend on fireworks. Lack of demand will likely equate to lower prices because retailers are going to want to attempt to recoup on their costs. If the only way to sell fireworks is to lower prices at the retail level I believe that is what is going to happen at many stores. There are going to be far less people with disposable income this July 4th relative to previous years and the vast majority of the populace do not consider fireworks to be an essential item especially when they can watch other people set off fireworks for free. It is likely going to be a very rough year for the industry. I have no idea what 2021 will bring.