View Full Version : Hypothetical consumer fireworks question?

TitaniumsalTDI
12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Lately sitting back thinking about all the money i have spent over the years buying fireworks most of the substandard for the price has got me thinking, would anyone ever be willing to pay more for consumer fireworks that are made here in the good ole usa. not just any fireworks but custom designs, colors, and effects. i realize there is only so much you can do with 1.4 but wouldn't it be great to get a good product for your money without all of the unnecessary names, packageing, and hassle.

Palermitano2
12-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Lately sitting back thinking about all the money i have spent over the years buying fireworks most of the substandard for the price has got me thinking, would anyone ever be willing to pay more for consumer fireworks that are made here in the good ole usa. not just any fireworks but custom designs, colors, and effects. i realize there is only so much you can do with 1.4 but wouldn't it be great to get a good product for your money without all of the unnecessary names, packageing, and hassle.

Thats a great question and my opinion is If it ever happened the cost lets say for 1 500 gram cake would be 80 to 100 dollars because the cost for labor in the us is much higher then the pennies an hr they pay overseas....

indianahx
12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I would gladly pay for American made products. Always makes me feel better when the sticker says Made in the U.S.A.

blown2bits
12-03-2011, 08:54 PM
American Made all the way! I find it funny we celebrate the 4th with product made in china. I believe american manufactures would find a way to compete. Imagine how much business a store would make that used " We only sell 100% american made fireworks" as their slogan! I would buy from them.

indianahx
12-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Easy now....I heard a snip of a news broadcast here in Indy on a talk radio channel. They were discussing the misconception of the words "made in America". They pointed out that "america" can mean any number of countries on the continents north and south America. For true home-grown stuff you would want to make sure the label specifically said "made in USA".....it was pretty interesting to hear.

pyro man 205
12-03-2011, 10:54 PM
yes American Made all the way! only if it was 100% american made!

wpman321
12-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I to would pay the higher price if all parts of 1.4g product was made in the USA!

Palermitano2
12-04-2011, 12:34 AM
I would love it if it could happen.......But lets be Real....I dont think we could compete with Chinas labor costs.

floridapyro
12-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I know my self and several others in my shooting club spend $7-8 grand a year on pyro. As a matter of fact I have my own pallet coming tommorow. Fact is the amount of product we shoot would at least be cut in half. I love U.S. products but aside from maybe some specialty items I couldn't afford the price.

Palermitano2
12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I know my self and several others in my shooting club spend $7-8 grand a year on pyro. As a matter of fact I have my own pallet coming tommorow. Fact is the amount of product we shoot would at least be cut in half. I love U.S. products but aside from maybe some specialty items I couldn't afford the price.

Well Said.....you would still spend the same for a fraction of the product. Shipping costs would go down however labor is the KILLER....

westcoastpyro
12-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I would not be able to pay the higher prices. If we want to compete then that's what we need to do, find a way not make the consumer pay 5x as much. I'm sure most of us wouln't pay 400 for something that cost us under 50 before no matter how good it sounds.

blown2bits
12-04-2011, 03:58 PM
The costs would be higher, but what if we created a better way of automating some of the machines, and use soldiers that have been injured/retired to make them. You cant tell me that american made fireworks made by soldiers would not sell, sure maybe not to us who buy wholesale but to the public, people who don't see price lists but see the label and realize 100% of all money made goes right back to our economy. just a thought.

westcoastpyro
12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
You are correct. But is it even possible in this country to do it, the insurance ect. would price you out of the market unless you are talking about having the government carry it at a loss.

If you fell bad about sending money for Pyro to China for independents day how do you fell about China loaning us money to fight two wars. It all sounds crazy to me!!!

fatcat
12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Every one so far has expressed some very valid points. Being in retail (non pyro related products) I have to tell you the American consumer is at best a "fickel person." With the most sincere look they can muster, consumers will look you right in the eye and tell you how they are always going to deal with you, but in reality as soon as the competitor down the road has the same item for 5-10 cents cheaper they are gone. I realize that fireworks are not an item that every American craves and adds it to his must have list, and on this site, we are dealing with a select group of individuals, but the average joe is patriotic in words, but in reality, is only loyal to his wallet.

Pyro Nation
12-04-2011, 08:45 PM
That is true, but since I dont buy retail anymore I really do get out of touch on prices. I do however compare price to cases, but I will always pay a bit more for quality. I always have and will always continue to do so

PyroJoeNEPA
12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Paralleling this thought to 1.3g product--how many companies do you see still making quality shells here in the USA? It just isn't cost productive any more! There are some small specialty companies [like LBS for example] that make fantastic products--but they are a dying breed, I am afraid!
Bureaucracy in Washington--all the "regulatory" offices--ATF, EPA, DEP, OSHA, DOT, on & on & on..Big Brother is so busy "protecting" from ourselves it is impossible to have a small business in these days..and forget a medium size business--the unions would see to it that your $15.00 [made in China] class C cake would net at $80.00 & retail for $200.00!
I think whether you are a hobbyist or a professional in the industry the best thing we can do is stand behind our wholesale/retail suppliers & support them as best we can. By giving them your input on quality, performance, pricing, and having them relay that to the companies abroad that are making the products, perhaps there will be some improvements in quality & performance.
Remember, Big Brother limits the amount of composition in product---not the factories. The ultimate fault lies in our own back yard.
When it comes to Wholesale/Retail sellers you can't put a price tag on good customer service & I have met some awesome people that are working very hard to stay in business & be able to provide us with our pyro. I won't "price shop" when it comes to whom I deal with. With the limited amount of money I have to spend each year on pyro, I try to give the several people I deal with a "piece of the pie". I would rather spend a little more with a local supplier than send an order out to some national distributor that doesn't know me. I wish there was more to go around------God Bless the U.S.A.!!