PDA

View Full Version : Cakes on Gravel

tmwjr
02-27-2020, 04:45 PM
I am shooting on 3/17. It will be a mix of 1.4, 1.4 pro, and 1.3 product. Normally I use boards to do a lot ahead of time with fusing, but I am hoping to get away from that for this shoot. The site is about 400' x 700' of gravel that is packed extremely hard. What are your thoughts about not putting the cakes on boards and placing them directly on the gravel? I plan to tape sets of them together and either brick them or pound in rebar.

I have to work early the next day and it would be quicker to just pickup the cakes than take multiple trips with the trailer to get all of the boards back to storage. Thank you!

Tom

PyroJoeNEPA
02-27-2020, 07:04 PM
That should not be a problem as long as they are stabilized well. Don't put too many in a "block" in the event one of them catches fire--

joewad
02-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Sounds thought out. If you got a close water source, water buckets are a nice addition. Regarding rebar, I probably have too much, but I bought a lot here and there at local Lowe's or Home Depot over the years of various lengths long enough for cake stabilization. Two (2) years ago I took the time of spreading out a good size group over a flattened cardboard box and spray painted all my cake rebar with Rustoleum Yellow. Next day turn it over and paint the other side. Sure helps finding those lawn mower blade and deck bending little fellows when distributing and/or picking up. Just a suggestion.

tmwjr
02-27-2020, 11:06 PM
Thank you and all good advice. I'm going to try to hit them with spray paint before then, that's a good idea. I'll keep the blocks small to what cake will be fire simultaneously from each position.

I was concerned with the cakes not being evenly supported underneath, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Mattp
02-28-2020, 09:17 AM
i would think hard packed gravel and then using stakes would be one of the best conditions you could ask for

displayfireworks1
02-28-2020, 10:06 PM
The only problem I ever had with 1.3 cakes is shooting in a field of high grass. Occasionally if a large 1.3 cake is floating just above the ground because of the high grass, one or more of the clay plugs will sometimes blow out of the bottom. Seems like this happened on the 100 shot zipper V-Type cakes. More of rare event. Gravel should be fine, just twist into a firm position in the gravel

cherrybomb1
02-28-2020, 11:06 PM
Sounds thought out. If you got a close water source, water buckets are a nice addition. Regarding rebar, I probably have too much, but I bought a lot here and there at local Lowe's or Home Depot over the years of various lengths long enough for cake stabilization. Two (2) years ago I took the time of spreading out a good size group over a flattened cardboard box and spray painted all my cake rebar with Rustoleum Yellow. Next day turn it over and paint the other side. Sure helps finding those lawn mower blade and deck bending little fellows when distributing and/or picking up. Just a suggestion.
Here’s a pic of the stakes I made...the rebar was being thrown out at work(love it when that happens)http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4795&stc=1

tmwjr
02-28-2020, 11:29 PM
Those are beautiful

chriskrc
03-02-2020, 08:13 AM
There's nothing better than being able to get your hands on some free stakes like that.

Mattp
03-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Nice racks too!!!!... LOL