PDA

View Full Version : Rocket question

displayfireworks1
02-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Here a question I received via email. Can someone that knows about the rocket hobby answer this on the forums?
Hi Dave,
My name is XXX XXXXX . I am an avid rocketeer, and have been flying since I was a child. I am level 2 certified with the XXXXXX XXXXXXX Association.
Typically, our propellant of choice is Ammonium Perchlorate/HTPB. After 9/11 the Safe Explosives Act of 2002 put AP/HTPB hobby motors on the low explosives list. The rocketry community fought this, and ultimately won in 2009, and Ammonium Percholrate composite propellant was removed.
Everything is all hunky-dory correct? Unfortunately, the cost of Ammonium Perchlorate has tripled, and has me seeking alternative propellants. The one I have settled on is Potassium Nitrate and sugar. specifically, sorbitol/Erithrytol. Potassium Nitrate compositions are on the low explosives list, and there for a permit is needed. My goal is to make the propellant and fly at sanctioned launches. The propellant is allowed at the launches, under our code. However, very few people fly it. I am going to reach out to XXXXX to see if there is anyone who can help me, but I wanted to ask you -
Would there be a lot of parallels between getting a license for fireworks vs a license for what I am proposing? Or is it an entirely different animal?
Thank you for your time and your help! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

RalphieJ
03-04-2020, 07:34 PM
This brought back a pleasant memory. As kids, our local drug store was our supplier of saltpeter. "Be careful guys" our pharmacist would say with a smile as he handed us the can. I think we were 11 or 12, had a lot a fun for under a dollar.

Arclight
03-04-2020, 07:51 PM
These guys have an ATF club license I believe and could answer his questions:

https://friendsofamateurrocketry.org/

Arclight

Rocketshooter
03-09-2020, 04:10 PM
I used to cleanout our local drugstore of saltpeter and sulpher back in the 70's. We made some great smoke bombs!

displayfireworks1
03-13-2020, 12:42 PM
There is a well known man in the fireworks industry who's father was a pharmacist. Back in the day when he was a kid he had access to all that stuff. LOL Now with the Internet we can get most any thing we want without someone trying to pass personal judgement or control on us.