View Full Version : will a amazon kindle fire 10 be good enough to record a show?

Icooclast
02-22-2020, 02:23 AM
since i already have one (and like it) i tested it (recording a music cd) and the sound seems ok on the vid i recorded, just looking for any problems i could run into from those who have (or tried to have) their fire shoot their shows.the biggest problem i can see is having to keep it propped up. i have a case that props it up a bit (and a bit is being generous) so, anyone have any advice if i do get to do this? would i just be better off with 2 regular cameras?

thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Scotty Rockets
02-22-2020, 04:04 AM
Get a gopro or anything else that captures a wide field of view

Mattp
02-22-2020, 10:59 AM
They also have quite cheap tripods now.. 20$ or so

jamisonlm3
02-22-2020, 04:49 PM
What's the highest resolution does your kindle record at? The little looking around I've done says 720 is the highest. If that's true for the one you have, it will work, but video quality might be an issue. If you have a smartphone, it will most likely do 1080 and maybe even 4k. That alone would make your tablet moot. If you do use it, proping it up with it's case might be an issue as well. A proper tripod mount for it will give you much more versatility. More me, a tripod is a must. I use a cheap one, but it does what it does fine. Decent tripods can be found for pretty cheap, around $5-10 at thrift stores.

I think the biggest problem you might encounter is getting the time to set your gear up to record the show. We try to plan and give ourselves time before the show, but it often comes down to the very last minutes and you just don't have time to set it up. If you do set it up, you might forget to even record the show because seeing it as you set up lulls you into a false sense of security. Weather might not even let you, but that can affect your show too. Getting your show in frame will be another problem, especially at night. You can set it up towards where you think everything well be, but unless you have someone that can adjust the camera as it's happening.

I'd also recommend a GoPro. I use a Hero 4 Black to record everything. It will record in 4k, but using the largest FOV will bend the horizon like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtF44yaZB3g). Even with that, I think it does pretty good. They can be found for around $80 with accessories. If you plan on recording more shows in the future, I think it along with a tripod wouldn't be a bad option.

Icooclast
02-22-2020, 09:56 PM
thanks for the info everyone. looks like it's time to look into gopro, lol. thanks again, guys. :)

Rick_In_Tampa
02-23-2020, 06:48 AM
For what it's worth, I use a GoPro Hero 5 Session to record my show. I picked up a cheap tripod that works great and folds down into next to nothing. Definitely worth the investment so you can enjoy your shows long after the smoke clears.

DavidthePyro
02-23-2020, 09:47 AM
I have a go pro that goes through all kinds of abuse. Most of the time I am switching it between my crews and their mowers, grabbing some footage for QC and for advertising/sharing with our clients. I have mounts that attach to nearly anything. When it comes to show time, we rent a high performance DSLR, my cousin takes pictures with her camera while she monitors the camera that's recording. As for the go pro, I stick a piece of pvc into the ground, attach the mount to it, and point it towards the launch site. Its usually only a few feet away and captures all the action close up.

DavidthePyro
02-23-2020, 09:49 AM
I have a cheap knock off camera too, usually I limit the abuse it sees as I dont trust it to be as durable, but last year I did mount it behind me to capture my homemade firing board in action