PDA

View Full Version : ATF License Renewal

displayfireworks1
02-07-2020, 11:13 PM
I am feeling there are many ATF license coming up for renewal this May 2020. If you are one of them, be ready for a call and/or visit from the ATF. If it appears you are an established license holder that consistently renews over the years, they may come to visit you and go through the renewal process interview ahead of the actual renewal notice. They appear to do this to get the jump on the May renewals and avoid you having a lapse in your license. They are most likely going to call to schedule an appointment with you since you did not yet receive the renewal notice. If you are renewing in May 2020 be sure your contingencies are updated. Ask your fireworks distributor for an updated contingency agreement.
The upside of all of this is when you do actually receive the paper notice to renew , all you do is complete the enclosed paperwork , send in the payment and receive your renewed license. You do not need interviewed a second time. Here is the actual checklist enclosed in a ATF Fireworks license renewal for your reference.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4757&stc=1

esgrillo
02-08-2020, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I just went through the process and got my renewed license last week. They did come out and visit. No issues, went smooth.

displayfireworks1
02-08-2020, 09:05 AM
It didn't go smooth down there in Texas the first time for you guys did it . But now it does go smooth. Why? Because you guys held firm and refused to withdraw the applications and/or accept NO for answer. Now it goes smooth. I'm still mad that ATF Inspector hung up on me 3 years ago. LOL He said "I'm Not Talking to You" and hung up. LOL So I called his boss who was actually a pretty reasonable man. That was Reed and then you came along. I'm still surprised at the low number of privately held ATF Fireworks license in Texas. Next time they come to renew your license, show that YouTube video of your show.

esgrillo
02-08-2020, 11:07 PM
lol, true. Had to go through the 20 questions routine with the first round. If you know the rules and have some support (Daves CD and follow-up assistance) the outcome will be the desired one.

Crush630
02-11-2020, 11:47 AM
My renewal isn't until Oct 2020 but I already had my renewal inspection in December. Might be only for people around the Chicago area.

displayfireworks1
02-11-2020, 07:20 PM
At Crush630: When the ATF did your renewal inspection/interview early, did they call for an appointment or just show up?
https://sd.keepcalms.com/i/keep-calm-its-renewal-time.png

Crush630
02-12-2020, 01:15 PM
At Crush630: When the ATF did your renewal inspection/interview early, did they call for an appointment or just show up?
https://sd.keepcalms.com/i/keep-calm-its-renewal-time.png

They called and set up a time, the agents were not from the chicago-area, they were 3 hours from me. (my original ATF agents who did my interview was from the ATF office right next door to my town)

displayfireworks1
02-12-2020, 04:24 PM
The ATF is that Chicago area is doing some weird stuff. I suspect the local boys are busy with something and got help for the routine stuff like renewls.

Fire Art
02-13-2020, 11:06 AM
I have been seeing a lot of renewal visits even before the paperwork was submitted here in Central and Western PA. Must be trying to get this all out the way in anticipation of other demands on their time later on.

Crush630
02-13-2020, 01:23 PM
I know they are up to something, we discussed in detail on what's been going on for last about a year now.... one of them is that eBay listing, I know that for a fact and another investigation involving a distributor in Indiana.

displayfireworks1
02-13-2020, 01:53 PM
When I did that private show outside of Chicago last year. I learned more than I wanted to know. Feds do that stuff. They watch you for years to build a case.

Crush630
02-13-2020, 02:02 PM
When I did that private show outside of Chicago last year. I learned more than I wanted to know. Feds do that stuff. They watch you for years to build a case.

Not just the feds, the IL Dept of Natural Resources and State Fire Marshal are also VERY much involved. The IDNR has come out to check licenses/permits at a couple of shows I did last year. In IL you need you your IDNR Explosives license, plus the State Fire Marshal has there own rules/licenses too.

esgrillo
02-13-2020, 02:50 PM
I have this pic in my office that I had made to a wall poster from my show last year. The inspector that visited me didnt say anything about it lol. Might have made for a fun conversation if she did see it. ;)

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4765&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
02-13-2020, 06:13 PM
I am not up for renewal until July this year but had an unannounced visit from the ATF last month [Jan]. All went well. They actually notified my contingency storage company for an updated letter a week or two before they popped it. No issues. Went quickly.

BMoore
02-19-2020, 04:21 PM
I got the call today and my renewal isn’t up until Feb. 2021. Happy to be getting out of the way though.

displayfireworks1
02-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Interesting this ahead of time ATF license renewal if occurring in multiple states. Must be a universal strategy directive. I also suspect is it a result of the overall increase in ATF Fireworks license over the years. If I remember this correctly, historically there is a renewal cycle that has a very high number of renewals because of the way all this started in 2003-2004 going forward when the ATF took all of this over on a grand scale from the states. That large initial group keeps repeating at renewal time all coming due at near the same time.

BMoore
02-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Had my interview today. Went very well. Sounds like the early interviews are the result of their new software. In the past the renewal applications triggered the interview process but now the software uses algorithms to flag licensees to interview. Renewal interviews at the 2 - 2 1/2 year mark may be the new norm.

displayfireworks1
02-25-2020, 09:39 AM
Had my interview today. Went very well. Sounds like the early interviews are the result of their new software. In the past the renewal applications triggered the interview process but now the software uses algorithms to flag licensees to interview. Renewal interviews at the 2 - 2 1/2 year mark may be the new norm.

That is exactly what it is. Years back it was all paper, now it is not. If only they would accept electronic fingerprints. I keep saying that ATF is not as sophisticated of an operation as people believe they are. But it look like they are getting there. LOL

Arclight
02-25-2020, 11:50 AM
I know their software gives the person assigned to your license investigation a big countdown timer. Unlike most other government procedures, they have a mandate to process and approve explosives licenses under some sort of deadline.

Mattp
02-25-2020, 11:51 AM
my renewal isnt until may 2021... guess i should start answering those unknown caller id's...LOL

displayfireworks1
02-25-2020, 12:23 PM
I know their software gives the person assigned to your license investigation a big countdown timer. Unlike most other government procedures, they have a mandate to process and approve explosives licenses under some sort of deadline.

They always had that mandate you are correct. Under the paper system they had a poor way to monitor it. If they monitored it at all. Now all of this can be measured and quantified. This benefits all of us , including them. Here in Pennsylvania I was shocked to hear the amount of inspectors in the western part of Pennsylvania did not increase when the number of privately held ATF fireworks license increased over the years. As matter of fact many of them are retiring. Now they can measure their work and ask for more help if needed.
Not that any one Inspector is the spokesperson for them all. I had one Inspector tell me basically too bad when I mentioned that 90 day window from the time the application was received. Although for the most part they did operate within the 90 day period. I know over the years in helping fireworks enthusiast in various states, we reminded them in a written communication we are aware of the 90 day period and would demand a decision. We did this in the final 20 days. This occurred in locations with few privately held Display Fireworks license , or they just didn't know what to do or they had some BS line like they were waiting for an answer from counsel in DC etc. Now with the computerized record , if the application is delayed,, it is reasonable to ask for the day count, letting them know you have knowledge of it. You can say, please look, its right there on my application on your computer. We now need to know what criteria is used to determine what is used to determine Day One of the 90? Also, what is triggered if the application goes past the 90 day window.

Arclight
02-25-2020, 03:31 PM
The only person I know who got delayed for a long period of time (with cause) was someone whose dumb a** got arrested years ago, and subsequently got probation and a dismissal of charges after the fact. Unfortunately, they didn't hold on to any of their copies of the court records, so ATF only sees an arrest 20 years ago with no disposition. I believe the resolution to this is hiring an "attorney service" to get to visit that court and pick up a letter saying "This person didn't get a conviction."

I believe ATF is allowed to hold indefinitely in that situation until they get some proof that you aren't prohibited.

Yet another reason to stay on the right side of things...

Mattp
07-07-2020, 12:48 PM
just wanted to make sure i am correct... my first renewal is going to be in may of 2021... they will contact me and all i need to do is be on the lookout for that notice or phone call... is that correct???

CozmicRooster
07-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Not just the feds, the IL Dept of Natural Resources and State Fire Marshal are also VERY much involved. The IDNR has come out to check licenses/permits at a couple of shows I did last year. In IL you need you your IDNR Explosives license, plus the State Fire Marshal has there own rules/licenses too.

@Crush630 I found out all about the silly IL regulations last year. I?m in Springfield and was going to apply for the ATF license but quickly found out the circular BS Springfield does to keep people from getting permitted. To get a permit from the City you have to have your State license, which basically means you have to get licensed for 1.3G to get the permit to even fire 1.4G. I?m still interested but I?m going to have to wait until I have time to make this ?hobby? pay for itself and the associated expenses.

If you operate a display fireworks business I?d love to talk with you about the details and the possibility of working with you. I?m a Class A CLD driver with Hazmat.