PDA

View Full Version : Please vote to legalize fireworks in ohio

Robbro097
02-07-2020, 08:55 PM
https://www.mahoningmatters.com/regional-news/ohio-lawmakers-consider-legislation-to-legalize-fireworks-2074860

At the bottom of this article is a simple should ohio legalize fireworks i ohio please vite yes

Icooclast
02-09-2020, 03:21 AM
i added my vote. when i did, it said the yes' had over 70%

Robbro097
02-10-2020, 03:03 AM
Cool i just took a look n its at 70% still. Im just wanting to see it stay positive and show support for legalizing use itd b great to shoot without looking over my shoulder. when i voted it was at 52% approve good to see it trending the right way

Lewwie
02-10-2020, 03:38 AM
I would legalize fireworks any day! Added my vote also :)

DavidthePyro
02-10-2020, 10:41 AM
The laws will be slow to change, I fear. Based on history, comprehensive legislation is usually partisan, and when it's not, it seems there are "competing" bills in both the senate and house (SB72 vs HB 226--now HB 253). Some bills seem to be an extreme swing towards the legalizing side, where the laws would become looser than many other states. Based upon the way Ohio approached medical marijuana, I would hope that they can keep a tight grasp on legal parameters without strangling the enthusiast. I can easily see a future in which ohio treats consumers buying once a year like ATF license holders, requiring all kinds of regulation that ends up having a negative impact on the low budget/assortment type of customer. I love Ohio, but Rep. Burke is exactly correct- contradicting laws need to be resolved. The liars form change is a step in the right direction, but I'm just wondering if the gridlock will ever let up. Surely the massive expansion in purchases and the decline in injuries per weight of product would help to enlighten those making these decisions. What they really need is people who put together large displays( us, for example) in addition to various professionals who can give their insight. Maybe they already do that, I dont know. I just know I've watched the local media report every couple years in a way that hypes up the possibility of legalization like it's the Cleveland Browns going into the season, only to see more stalling, rejection, and here we are.

As a side note, I wonder if this has any impact on prices around here. Are they lower or higher, would prices be impacted at all? And are they using the moratorium expiration as a way to get legislation pushed through while also extending the moratorium?

Robbro097
02-10-2020, 02:23 PM
I cant agree more about these lawmakers need to hear from organized responsible fireworks users. Like you said firework hobbyist like us and or some club members. I looked at witness list and only "citizen" witnesses are people opposed to it, know? in defense. Phantom and other companies are but that just makes for bad press. Companies want to increase profits while endangering our citizens none of whom support the bill type stuff. A shame

DavidthePyro
02-10-2020, 05:06 PM
I just noticed that from the last hearing. I dont see any status updates on the Senate bill, so it seems like the media is misreporting. I saw that the committee hearing on the 5th was for the house bill and after reading through, it's not much different than past attempts. It seems like the reporting has been really biased and pretty inaccurate.

Robbro097
02-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Your not kidding about biased inaccurate reporting i seen 1 article that said we were going legalize cherry bombs for sale and use its ridiculous whats being reported

Robbro097
02-10-2020, 05:47 PM
https://www.heraldstaronline.com/opinion/editorials/2020/02/ohios-fireworks-laws-are-working/

Birdman
02-10-2020, 06:34 PM
https://www.heraldstaronline.com/opinion/editorials/2020/02/ohios-fireworks-laws-are-working/

Technically that is not a news article but an editorial/opinion piece. Ridiculous, yes. But because it's an opinion piece bias is expected. Odd it doesn't say who's opinion this is. The local news outlets where I live will always give a name or will say if it's the opinion of the news outlet or some other official organization. Also odd is that it appears there are few comments. Where I live opinion pieces like this would spur a lot of lively debate in the comment section.

Here's one quote I like to use to remind people about the history of celebrating our independence.....

“I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”

-John Adams

Robbro097
02-10-2020, 06:40 PM
They had the same exact article up few days ago and had many comments of people calling bs on cherry bombs they removed and reposted so no more comments i also noticed that author wouldn't put their name on it

Rick_In_Tampa
02-10-2020, 11:09 PM
I loved the post from the second knucklehead that posted a comment. He starts off by saying "The solution is to license end users.."

The "solution?" To what?! Isn't there supposed to be a problem before you need a solution?? I started to register an account just to ask this guy what the "problem" is that he's trying to solve. But what's the point? It would be like convincing a skunk not to stink. smh...

Robbro097
02-11-2020, 01:45 AM
I dont know if its lack of knowledge misconceptions or what it is but its very annoying listening to what these anti pyro ppl have to say on the matter. But i guess its its nothing new people with less than zero knowledge on something trying to make laws to regulate things.

DavidthePyro
02-11-2020, 08:06 AM
I loved the post from the second knucklehead that posted a comment. He starts off by saying "The solution is to license end users.."

The "solution?" To what?! Isn't there supposed to be a problem before you need a solution?? I started to register an account just to ask this guy what the "problem" is that he's trying to solve. But what's the point? It would be like convincing a skunk not to stink. smh...

Hahahahahaha, Rick's always got the best input!

DavidthePyro
02-12-2020, 12:43 PM
Ohio guys, I heard back from rep. Mannings office. Said they would love to have us in as proponents. Please message me if you'd like to participate

Fox One
02-14-2020, 03:47 AM
It is scary how many people there are in this country today that fear freedom. What happened to the rebellious America that knew how to have a good time?

Birdman
02-14-2020, 03:16 PM
It is scary how many people there are in this country today that fear freedom. What happened to the rebellious America that knew how to have a good time?

You can thank 24/7 cable news and social media. For example, someone blows a finger off and it gets spreads through social media and local news sources which can then get picked up by national news channels which then spreads the story even wider on social media. Stores like that (i.e. ones that typically include violence, injury illness etc.) are of interest to everyone so they get widely reported. Meanwhile the awesome backyard neighborhood show that went off without hitch is not newsworthy and is shared by a very small circle of people. Additionally, social media has created a medium for people to shame others largely anonymously. So not only are people told the world is very dangerous place to exist but you have increasing social pressures that keep many people from taking any risk no matter how small it may be.