PDA

View Full Version : History of American Consumer Fireworks

FinnAmerican1979
01-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Here's a question for those pyro history buffs: In what years did the first consumer fireworks begin marketing to the American public?

jamisonlm3
01-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Many, many years ago.

FinnAmerican1979
01-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Here's a page from the an old fireworks catalog dated 1868

MontanaMike
01-28-2020, 07:30 PM
I've been curious how long it's been that "aerials" were legal here in Montana. For years, anything that said "shoots flaming balls" on it was illegal but now (and for the past 25 years at least), everything is cool except sky rockets, roman candles and bottle rockets. I guess I don't know if the whole flaming balls thing was true, or if our local stands just didn't want to carry the more expensive items.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-30-2020, 07:59 PM
I was just in Montana last August. I can't think of ANY reason why they would ban fireworks or nuclear weapons for that matter. The chances of killing anything is close to 0. I've never seen such a desolate place in my life. Absolutely beautiful, but desolate.

wingman
01-31-2020, 02:08 AM
I was just in Montana last August. I can't think of ANY reason why they would ban fireworks or nuclear weapons for that matter. The chances of killing anything is close to 0. I've never seen such a desolate place in my life. Absolutely beautiful, but desolate.

Desolate? Plenty of space, yes, but you could have visited western Montana and said the exact opposite, LOL!

wingman
01-31-2020, 02:31 AM
Of course there's plenty of nukes out here. But what I don't get is, why do they ban stick rockets & Roman candles when everything else under the sun is allowed? Many missiles seem to have an erratic take off or flight path versus stick rockets, and Roman candles are pretty much a multi-shot in a tube. It's as if the state wanted to give the anti-fireworks groups a consolation for losing their fight out here.

Birdman
01-31-2020, 03:45 PM
Of course there's plenty of nukes out here. But what I don't get is, why do they ban stick rockets & Roman candles when everything else under the sun is allowed? Many missiles seem to have an erratic take off or flight path versus stick rockets, and Roman candles are pretty much a multi-shot in a tube. It's as if the state wanted to give the anti-fireworks groups a consolation for losing their fight out here.

My guess is that because both stick rockets and roman candles require some sort of additional hardware to use it as intended. Similar to why AP is not available openly to consumers. I know in my hood the anti-fireworks crowd seems to get most upset over rockets and roman candles. Rockets (and aerial spinners) because of the litter they make in peoples yards and roman candles because some idiots like to shoot them at things. The other big agitators are anything small you can buy cheap in large numbers like bottle rockets and firecrackers because these can be heard coming from some yard virtually nonstop in the summer.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-31-2020, 10:36 PM
Desolate? Plenty of space, yes, but you could have visited western Montana and said the exact opposite, LOL!

One of our Safety Team guys lives in Missoula. That's in the Western part, right? I've seen parts of Missoula on Live PD lol.. other than that, you're right. I was in Eastern Montana checking out Little Big Horn. So I missed all the people. At least the living people.