PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 2.5

yamiacaveman
01-21-2020, 02:04 PM
So as a hobbyist, if you were going to spend your money on racks, would you go with 2 or 2.5? I scanned a few suppliers and I do see that the selection for 2.5 shell is just a little bigger than the 2.0 selections but perhaps maybe that's just an inventory thing . Any reasons to select one over the other?

Thanks for any suggestions.

357pyro
01-21-2020, 02:40 PM
So as a hobbyist, if you were going to spend your money on racks, would you go with 2 or 2.5? I scanned a few suppliers and I do see that the selection for 2.5 shell is just a little bigger than the 2.0 selections but perhaps maybe that's just an inventory thing . Any reasons to select one over the other?

Thanks for any suggestions.

In my opinion i would go w the 2.5" if it was between those two options. If you don't mind me asking are you going to build any 3" inch racks? In my experience they are the best "bang for the buck" and there is a huge variety of manufacturers and effects. I personally have nothing smaller for 1.3G than 3". Smaller than that I just use 1.75" consumer cans.

Fire Art
01-21-2020, 04:09 PM
I would agree with 357pyro that the 3s are the way to go. Consumer shells have come a long way and the canister shells available are every bit as good as the 2.5" some companies sell nowadays (not ours lol). Also when you look at the number of effects available in a case of 2.5s there are not nearly as many effects per case as a case of 3s. 2.5s can be a good filler shell and good for simple effects shot in multiples but if you are looking for more variety stick with the 3s. Not saying to totally rule out the 2.5s just that they shouldn't be the bulk of your show. Make some 2.5in racks too, we sell shells by the piece and our 2.5" salutes rock. (shameful plug) Lastly, you can get nicer effects in 3s because there is a teeny bit more room for larger stars, bigger the stars you can have the more types of effects you can pull off. Just my 2 cents worth.

yamiacaveman
01-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Boy thanks for your input.
I have some 3 and 4 inch racks, that I really like, I was thinking about the 2 and 2.5 only because of the distances from spectators. I thought maybe the 2.5's would be a better bang for they buck or perhaps a big step up from consumer shells. I totally agree with the consumer shells being good and I do have plenty of those racks.
So thanks for helping me out! More 3" and 4" inch racks it is!!!

BMoore
01-22-2020, 09:16 AM
When I first received my ATF license I came close to investing in 2.5" racks. Since most of my shells would be 1.75" (I already had the racks) I was worried that 3" would be overpowering. The advice I was given was to go with 3" racks and I'm really glad I did. With proper distances the 3's blend in nicely with quality consumer shells. They are noticeably larger of course but not to the point where the consumer shells seem weak. The only way I'd invest in 2 - 2.5" racks is if I truly didn't have the distance for 3" and even then I'd probably just limit it to 1.75" for practicality.

yamiacaveman
01-22-2020, 10:17 PM
Thanks BMoore

I'm in your position now, or I was, also I know what 1.75" are like and 3" and above are like, but I have never shot off a 2" or 2.5", probably safe to say I never even saw a 2" or 2.5" shell, Thant make it a little hard to compare.

Again thanks for all of your responses.