PDA

View Full Version : 50 shot fan rack measurements?

liam
11-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone:
I hope you all had a happy and healthy Thanksgiving! I am in the market to purchase a 50 shot fan rack consisting of 12" DR-11 HDPE mortars. Since I have to drive and pick it up with my car, I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate measurements of the rack itself? I want to make sure it will fit in my car or if I need to borrow my buddy's truck.
Thanks,

J's12talk
11-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I would recommend 5-10 racks and side board them on site into a wave set up.

indianahx
11-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Why do you have to drive????? There are shipping methods....

Palermitano2
11-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I would recommend 5-10 racks and side board them on site into a wave set up.
+1 please dont make the mistake I made .........or make 2 20 shot and a ten...

liam
11-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey guys

Why does everyone seem to be against the 50 shot fan rack? Is the rack's weight or size a problem?

I would rather drive 1 hour and pick up the rack as opposed to pay the shipping costs. In addition, I could pick up some fireworks at the same time!

Thanks for the help

pyro92
11-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Weight is one problem with a 50 shot rack. You won't be able to easily move it yourself unless you put wheels on it. The plus side of getting five ten shot racks with an end board is you can make it adjustable. Like say you want to angle the two outside racks and then have the middle three straight, or outside two angled and the middle straight. You will be much happier moving some small racks than one large rack. A 50 shot rack weighs a lot.

Minishow
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Just measured a home made one with no spacers that was 29" long and 22" wide, I would think one with spacers between each tube could be as large as 2ftx3ft. Also the more angle the wider it will be. I would try it if I had a hatchback with fold down seats or a large car. When in doubt, bring bungie cords.

indianahx
11-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey guys

Why does everyone seem to be against the 50 shot fan rack? Is the rack's weight or size a problem?

I would rather drive 1 hour and pick up the rack as opposed to pay the shipping costs. In addition, I could pick up some fireworks at the same time!

Thanks for the help

That's a little more understandable that you'd only be driving an hour. Would definitely be silly to ship in that case.

As for what everyone else is saying, the weight of a 50 shot rack is burdensome considering all of the wood, the tubes, and especially when loaded. The modular design is so much easier and convenient for setup, tear-down, and storage. Having said that though, you still find plenty of 50 shot racks (but usually never any bigger) being used and made. If you want a solid 50 shot bad boy get yourself one to test the waters and then decide if 50 shot is any more or less advantageous than the described 5-10shot modular design.

BTW, I vote and use modular

Palermitano2
11-27-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a 30 shot angled rack that is easy to carry. I just think 50 is to heavy if you have good help go for it.

Pyro Nation
11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
30 Shot is where I stope, if you do a 50 be prepared to heavy haul for it. I mean it is nice to have a 50 shot in one shot, but would be easier to have a 30 with a 20, or 5 - 10's, or whatever combo you would like

PyroJoeNEPA
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I think everyone is overlooking the obvious answer to this---if you are buying a 50 shot pre-manufactured rack, why don't you call or email the company selling it & ask them the dimensions & weight? Problem solved.

With that said. I agree 100% with everyone else that it is much easier to transport, configure, & store 5 10 shot racks compared to one behemoth 50 shot.

floridapyro
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
At my own and group shoots we use 50-60 shot racks. Use the modular design and its a snap.

indianahx
11-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I think everyone is overlooking the obvious answer to this---if you are buying a 50 shot pre-manufactured rack, why don't you call or email the company selling it & ask them the dimensions & weight? Problem solved.

With that said. I agree 100% with everyone else that it is much easier to transport, configure, & store 5 10 shot racks compared to one behemoth 50 shot.

Good call on that one.....guess we were too busy thinking outside the box....err....or in it.....