PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Jersey Shore!!!

ShorePyroTom
01-16-2020, 11:54 PM
Greetings to everyone in Pyroloand from the Jersey Shore. My name is Tom and I have been following Dave on YouTube for almost a year now. I joined the PGI and I completed my PGI shooters course at Kellner's fireworks. I am proud to inform everyone that I just received my ATF Type 54. I had my interview yesterday and it went great. I owe Dave a "Big Thank You". I had the pleasure to meet him at Kellner's at an ATF Class and I purchased his program. I followed it to the letter, and it all worked out. I look forward to sharing and more importantly learning from the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum.

Tom
PGI Member
NFA Member
BATF Type 54

jknepp1954
01-17-2020, 04:47 AM
Is that Jersey Shore, NJ?
or Jersey shore, Pa.?

Wholesale Fireworks
01-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 54 Check out our website if you get a chance and take advantage of our Tier discounts and shipping discounts
http://www.wfboom.com

ShorePyroTom
01-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Is that Jersey Shore, NJ?
or Jersey shore, Pa.?

Jersey Shore NJ, I was surprised to see Jersey Shore PA when I was traveling Rt 80 to Kellner's.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the Forum Tom, and congrats on your "54".

Fire Art
01-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Welcome Tom. Hope you get a chance to pop in at Fire Art on one of your trips out on 80.

ShorePyroTom
01-17-2020, 05:31 PM
Welcome Tom. Hope you get a chance to pop in at Fire Art on one of your trips out on 80.

I definitely will be back, I was at the open shoot in October and I had a great time. Now that I have my Type 54, I can?t wait for the next one!!

ShorePyroTom
01-17-2020, 05:32 PM
Thank you!!

RalphieJ
01-19-2020, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the Forum Tom, and congrats on your "54".

Tom, if you want some pointers of how a 30-minute show should be staged and fired, Pt. Pleasant's Thursday night shows by Garden State Fireworks are, in my opinion, the gold standard. False finales (2), flights, crescendo's, multiple breaks, impeccable timing, no puke, no music. And still hand fired. Take it from this 7-decade Benny, their shows are a tribute to the Italian masters.

displayfireworks1
01-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Greetings to everyone in Pyroloand from the Jersey Shore. My name is Tom and I have been following Dave on YouTube for almost a year now. I joined the PGI and I completed my PGI shooters course at Kellner's fireworks. I am proud to inform everyone that I just received my ATF Type 54. I had my interview yesterday and it went great. I owe Dave a "Big Thank You". I had the pleasure to meet him at Kellner's at an ATF Class and I purchased his program. I followed it to the letter, and it all worked out. I look forward to sharing and more importantly learning from the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum.

Tom
PGI Member
NFA Member
BATF Type 54

Glad to hear your interview with the ATF went well, let us know when you receive the license in the mail. When I teach these ATF license classes I enjoy hearing the feedback from those that are successful. If you see me at one of the Pennsylvania distributor open shoots, please approach me to say hello.
On a side note I hope some of the people in this industry see how the flow of events went for you. You started watching my videos a year ago and as things moved along, you are now ATF licensed , joined the PGI, attended the PGI shooter course and it looks like you also joined the NFA. We only have one more thing for you to do. That is, work part time for a display company. I almost forgot, you are also going to need a fireworks firing system. LOL Or do you already have one?

ShorePyroTom
01-19-2020, 02:59 PM
Tom, if you want some pointers of how a 30-minute show should be staged and fired, Pt. Pleasant's Thursday night shows by Garden State Fireworks are, in my opinion, the gold standard. False finales (2), flights, crescendo's, multiple breaks, impeccable timing, no puke, no music. And still hand fired. Take it from this 7-decade Benny, their shows are a tribute to the Italian masters.

I will try and check them out again this summer. The weather was bad the three times I was at Point Pleasant this past summer. I love the fact they have two false finales and no puke. I hope to see you at one of the shows, let me know.

ShorePyroTom
01-19-2020, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear your interview with the ATF went well, let us know when you receive the license in the mail. When I teach these ATF license classes I enjoy hearing the feedback from those that are successful. If you see me at one of the Pennsylvania distributor open shoots, please approach me to say hello.
On a side note I hope some of the people in this industry see how the flow of events went for you. You started watching my videos a year ago and as things moved along, you are now ATF licensed , joined the PGI, attended the PGI shooter course and it looks like you also joined the NFA. We only have one more thing for you to do. That is, work part time for a display company. I almost forgot, you are also going to need a fireworks firing system. LOL Or do you already have one?

Actually, I was going to post the rest of my story on the 1.3 section of the forum, but I think this maybe the best section to complete it now. After watching another YouTube video you posted about Zambelli offering training and the opportunity to work on a crew, I signed right up. I completed my training with Zambelli on November 9, 2019 and I received my Employee Possessor clearance from the ATF in December. As a Christmas gift I received a Cobra system. As for the PGI and NFA, I think its very important that we support the organizations that allow us to enjoy fireworks. The manual I received during the PGI training is worth its weight in gold, it is on my coffee table and I go over the information on a consistent basis. I also have to give a big shout out to Kellner's, Fire art, Intergalactic and Celebration Fireworks for allowing me to expand my Pyro horizons, I am a customer for life. If it wasn't for the guidance your provided me at the class, on YouTube and in your course that I purchased, and the help from these companies, I still would be dreaming about being licensed. Thanks to all for making it a reality!

Rick_In_Tampa
01-19-2020, 05:52 PM
Good lord man! I don't think I've ever heard of someone going from A-Z so quickly and so methodically. You are definitely the real deal. Great to have someone of your caliber and drive on the boards. Welcome!

ShorePyroTom
01-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Good lord man! I don't think I've ever heard of someone going from A-Z so quickly and so methodically. You are definitely the real deal. Great to have someone of your caliber and drive on the boards. Welcome!

Thank you for your kind welcome. I know I have much to learn, and look forward to sharing and learning for many years to come.

bml215
01-23-2020, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Tom.

ShorePyroTom
01-24-2020, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the forum Tom.

Thank you!

hatsgoods
01-25-2020, 03:37 AM
Thank you!

i had my type 54 a few years back and i was in NJ. i lived Gloucester county about 20 or mins from the Philly airport. i had mine till DEC of 2017. i could of renew but then my grandmother became on her death bed and i was getting ready to move to Wisconsin where i am at now. i moved up the line quickly too just like you but i lack the NFA and PGI on my end but how ever i belonged to 2 pyro clubs and over the years i shot shows for 4 display companies. so during the peak of our pyro season on Thursdays i was shooting the Trenton thunders baseball stadium shows when in season the almost every weekend or other a show with 1 of 4 companies and then the 2 clubs also contracted townships shows here and there. in fact the one club holds the mid Atlantic fireworks festival thats held once a year in south Maryland about 15 mins from the VA border. for me being near Philly it was just under a 3 hr drive for me. its a 3 day run for club members mostly. day before the multi shows is spent rigging the racks and other bulk gear and the day of all the shows its dropping shells into the guns and wiring everything. then next morning til early afternoonish is then a group clean up. im sure you would love it and i have been living in Wisconsin for 1.5 years now but i will be making the hual over for this years maff. and i think its end of April this year.

ShorePyroTom
01-25-2020, 09:07 PM
i had my type 54 a few years back and i was in NJ. i lived Gloucester county about 20 or mins from the Philly airport. i had mine till DEC of 2017. i could of renew but then my grandmother became on her death bed and i was getting ready to move to Wisconsin where i am at now. i moved up the line quickly too just like you but i lack the NFA and PGI on my end but how ever i belonged to 2 pyro clubs and over the years i shot shows for 4 display companies. so during the peak of our pyro season on Thursdays i was shooting the Trenton thunders baseball stadium shows when in season the almost every weekend or other a show with 1 of 4 companies and then the 2 clubs also contracted townships shows here and there. in fact the one club holds the mid Atlantic fireworks festival thats held once a year in south Maryland about 15 mins from the VA border. for me being near Philly it was just under a 3 hr drive for me. its a 3 day run for club members mostly. day before the multi shows is spent rigging the racks and other bulk gear and the day of all the shows its dropping shells into the guns and wiring everything. then next morning til early afternoonish is then a group clean up. im sure you would love it and i have been living in Wisconsin for 1.5 years now but i will be making the hual over for this years maff. and i think its end of April this year.

Thank you for that information. I used to go to the Trenton Thunder games, the fireworks made the nights even better. I will have to check out the MAFF for this year. I may not be able to attend this one, but definitely next year. If you are traveling all the way from Wisconsin to the event, it must be a great time!

ShorePyroTom
02-01-2020, 03:10 PM

Update! I just received my license in the mail today, it came in a white envelope. The whole process from mailing out application, getting interviewed and receiving my license in the mail took one month. Thanks for your guidance on how to get licensed!

Tom

displayfireworks1
02-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Wow that was fast. Now you are official. Email and/or fax the the license to the places you are going to make purchases so they can get you into their system Remember to order and pay for your product well ahead of the time you will need it. I guess the ATF ran out of the blue envelopes. LOL

hatsgoods
02-03-2020, 04:15 PM
actually, i was going to post the rest of my story on the 1.3 section of the forum, but i think this maybe the best section to complete it now. After watching another youtube video you posted about zambelli offering training and the opportunity to work on a crew, i signed right up. I completed my training with zambelli on november 9, 2019 and i received my employee possessor clearance from the atf in december. As a christmas gift i received a cobra system. As for the pgi and nfa, i think its very important that we support the organizations that allow us to enjoy fireworks. The manual i received during the pgi training is worth its weight in gold, it is on my coffee table and i go over the information on a consistent basis. I also have to give a big shout out to kellner's, fire art, intergalactic and celebration fireworks for allowing me to expand my pyro horizons, i am a customer for life. If it wasn't for the guidance your provided me at the class, on youtube and in your course that i purchased, and the help from these companies, i still would be dreaming about being licensed. Thanks to all for making it a reality!
heads up if you are gonna shoot a pro show in nj, you need a new jersey's blaster permit. You have to get it renewed every 5 years and to apply for it is a $500 fee and then $250 to renew every 5 years. Nj is one of 3 states that require that. The stat views any e match on a 1.3 g / class b item to be a blasters cap. A e match is not a blasters cap under the atf's law so don't let a monco ass fire-chief push you like that.the thing that spreates the 2 is that a blasting cap holds a explosive charge on the end that detonate when a e match has a explosive composition on the end that will only burn like a wooden kitchen match. Also a blasting cap has to high voltage and amperage to discharge / fire off when a 15 foot long e match can be fired with a triple a battery and most brands oonly need three quarters of a amp on 1.5 volts fire. How ever if you get cought by a fire marshall with e match on any 1.3 stuff without a nj's blaster permit, that fire chief can have you imprisoned for a minimal of 1.5 years with probation in a federal prison. So i just wanted to let you know that and anyone else wanting to shoot any 1.3 stuff in new jersey under their own atf type 54 users permit.

ShorePyroTom
02-05-2020, 01:36 AM
heads up if you are gonna shoot a pro show in nj, you need a new jersey's blaster permit. You have to get it renewed every 5 years and to apply for it is a $500 fee and then $250 to renew every 5 years. Nj is one of 3 states that require that. The stat views any e match on a 1.3 g / class b item to be a blasters cap. A e match is not a blasters cap under the atf's law so don't let a monco ass fire-chief push you like that.the thing that spreates the 2 is that a blasting cap holds a explosive charge on the end that detonate when a e match has a explosive composition on the end that will only burn like a wooden kitchen match. Also a blasting cap has to high voltage and amperage to discharge / fire off when a 15 foot long e match can be fired with a triple a battery and most brands oonly need three quarters of a amp on 1.5 volts fire. How ever if you get cought by a fire marshall with e match on any 1.3 stuff without a nj's blaster permit, that fire chief can have you imprisoned for a minimal of 1.5 years with probation in a federal prison. So i just wanted to let you know that and anyone else wanting to shoot any 1.3 stuff in new jersey under their own atf type 54 users permit.

Thanks for the heads up, I am well aware of how restrictive New Jersey is. I wouldn't mind going for my blasters license though. I am only using my license at open shoot and club events in Pennsylvania.

Arclight
02-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I am well aware of how restrictive New Jersey is. I wouldn't mind going for my blasters license though. I am only using my license at open shoot and club events in Pennsylvania.

A blaster's license is really useful. To do any actual blasting with it, you're going to want to get at least a couple of small type 4 magazines and then upgrade to an ATF type 20. I recommend this book if you want to learn more:

https://www.amazon.com/Explosives-Blasting-Commercial-Contractors-Engineers/dp/0971981493/

ShorePyroTom
02-05-2020, 07:41 PM
A blaster's license is really useful. To do any actual blasting with it, you're going to want to get at least a couple of small type 4 magazines and then upgrade to an ATF type 20. I recommend this book if you want to learn more:

https://www.amazon.com/Explosives-Blasting-Commercial-Contractors-Engineers/dp/0971981493/

Thanks Arclight! I am ordering the book now.

hatsgoods
02-07-2020, 06:32 PM
yea i could never bring myself to to get one even though i had 5 people who could reference me and i only needed 3 i just never shot enough shows by myself or even though the sub cronctrcing i did with 1 of the 4 companies i shot for over the years. if i ever move back to NJ for good witch i might in my later years of life then ill be getting my NJ blasters. one plus of now living in WI, is i can shoot all e fired shows with out that damn hassle of other permits

hatsgoods
02-07-2020, 06:49 PM
i also on one show i was sub contracted out on it was all hand lit but i put the finale on my small wireless 6 cue system. the fire Marshall saw that and told me to undo the e matches and i said i cant really do that due to it is more dangerous to take out a ematch then to put one in. and i was aware of the NJ blasters bullshit but i thought i was covered under the company i was sub contracted out under but here that did not cover me. so i cut the ematch wires off to about 2 or 3 inches left hanging out of the quickmatch chains and then split the wire on the left over ematch and the stripped each one then twisted them together to make it then shunted and put a piece of electrical tape over it and then i put a piece of duct tape over the whole piece of fuse then put small pieces of medium speed visco at each one of those joints as my now current back up. i did all that extra shit just to shut up the monchcoe ass Marshall. i am talking him down but he diddnt need to be down ass like he did.

ShorePyroTom
02-08-2020, 12:11 AM
i also on one show i was sub contracted out on it was all hand lit but i put the finale on my small wireless 6 cue system. the fire Marshall saw that and told me to undo the e matches and i said i cant really do that due to it is more dangerous to take out a ematch then to put one in. and i was aware of the NJ blasters bullshit but i thought i was covered under the company i was sub contracted out under but here that did not cover me. so i cut the ematch wires off to about 2 or 3 inches left hanging out of the quickmatch chains and then split the wire on the left over ematch and the stripped each one then twisted them together to make it then shunted and put a piece of electrical tape over it and then i put a piece of duct tape over the whole piece of fuse then put small pieces of medium speed visco at each one of those joints as my now current back up. i did all that extra shit just to shut up the monchcoe ass Marshall. i am talking him down but he diddnt need to be down ass like he did.

As for New Jersey, I am trying to escape it myself, lol. I can understand your frustration with the AHJ, but its always best to be courteous and comply. Its all about safety and liability in this business. I guess he thought if something went wrong, he would have been called on the carpet as well. He was trying to protect himself as well, just in case something happened and it ended up in a courtroom, as so much does in New Jersey. The solution you came up with was a good one, and it shows that you know your stuff. One thing I do know, I will have a nice supply of Dave's magic tape for the season, lol.

Arclight
02-08-2020, 01:09 AM
One of the few things in California that isn't expensive: The blaster's license is only $15 for 5 years here.

ShorePyroTom
02-08-2020, 10:47 AM
One of the few things in California that isn't expensive: The blaster's license is only $15 for 5 years here.

Wow, that is inexpensive. Now I definitely want to leave New Jersey ;)

Arclight
02-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Wow, that is inexpensive. Now I definitely want to leave New Jersey ;)

While you probably should leave NJ, it's not a great situation here either. No private transport of any quantity of 1.3 or 1.1 materials, and all fireworks of any kind (including 1.3) must be on a list approved by the state fire marshall. And a shooters license and permits are required. Also separate permits to sell, import or manufacture. Shooters license or special effects pyro requires recommendations from current license holders in order to take the test.

While I am fully covered for blasting, I have a good amount of work to do in order to be legal to shoot fireworks, even though my ATF license and insurance cover it.

I hear Oregon is very friendly to pyro and blasting both.

hatsgoods
02-09-2020, 08:03 AM
As for New Jersey, I am trying to escape it myself, lol. I can understand your frustration with the AHJ, but its always best to be courteous and comply. Its all about safety and liability in this business. I guess he thought if something went wrong, he would have been called on the carpet as well. He was trying to protect himself as well, just in case something happened and it ended up in a courtroom, as so much does in New Jersey. The solution you came up with was a good one, and it shows that you know your stuff. One thing I do know, I will have a nice supply of Dave's magic tape for the season, lol.

oops, at the end of my post i meant to say i am not talking the fire Marshall and didn't want to but i was so nice to him but he still had to be extremely rude. those are the people i can not stand when the have a law badge of some sorts they let that get to thier heads. i respect all aythities but you are not gonna treat me like shit cuz you have a badge. but all was good with me and him. :)

bml215
02-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum Tom.

ShorePyroTom
02-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum Tom.

Thank you bml215!!