PDA

View Full Version : Visiting from another country to celebrate July 4th.

displayfireworks1
01-12-2020, 10:10 AM
I get this question from time to time and I never sure how to give a proper recommendation. I'll copy and paste it here. This is a fireworks YouTube person from a Dutch speaking area that wants to visit United States to celebrate the July 4th holiday. I'm sure they will want to purchase and shoot fireworks in addition to watching some professional displays. Sort of a fireworks vacation. For some reason they want to go to South Carolina. I'm not sure of the fireworks activity in that state. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would suggest the PGI convention but they want to come July 4th.
Hey DisplayFireworks1,

For the first time in our lives we would like to celebrate the 4th of july in America. We wanted to go to South Carolina and we searched over and over about the rules but some things aren?t clear to us.

Are there states where it is legal to light up fireworks all year round?
Where would you suggest to go, because this America trip is all about the 4th of july and fireworks.
Do you also have any tips for us? Or do?s and don?ts?

Thank you beforehand!

XXXX XXXXXXXX

jamisonlm3
01-12-2020, 10:47 AM
I agree, I don't unerstand why would anyone want to come here. There's nothing here compared to states with much larger cities as far as 4th fireworks displays. If they come here to buy fireworks, they'll need to be aware that while fireworks are legal in SC, not all areas allow them. Basically, if you live outside of any city or town, you can shoot them year around unless the county has laws concerning them and you do so on your private property. I imagine most cities and towns ban fireworks, like mine.

Birdman
01-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Years ago my family vacationed in Myrtle Beach for the fourth. I was not there but it resulted in a fireworks story my family often recalls. They decided to go and get some bottle rockets etc after hearing that people shoot from the beach. When they got to the beach they say it was like a war zone and the beach was packed with people. My brother and father had to duck and dodge fireworks as they made their way through clouds of thick smoke to an open spot. They actually dug a small foxhole for protection as they saw others had done. Shortly after they got to shooting something landed on their bag of fireworks and before they noticed, it was too late. The bag was engulfed in flames and everything in the bag started to go off. They had to abandon their foxhole and dodged fireworks as they made their escape. I can't really paint the scene the way it is told to me without writing a book but I think you'll get the picture. They say they would never do that again...and haven't.

jamisonlm3
01-12-2020, 02:32 PM
How long ago was that? I've been on the beach there a number of 4ths, but never saw anything like that. The fireworks do go up and down the coast though. You can even see the big display shows too since that whole area of the coast of concave. From horizon to horizon, it's nothing but fireworks after the sun sets.

Birdman
01-12-2020, 09:59 PM
How long ago was that? I've been on the beach there a number of 4ths, but never saw anything like that. The fireworks do go up and down the coast though. You can even see the big display shows too since that whole area of the coast of concave. From horizon to horizon, it's nothing but fireworks after the sun sets.

It would have to be at least 20 years ago.

jknepp1954
01-13-2020, 01:22 AM
Supposedly the July 4th show in State College, Pa. was billed as 1 of the top 10 in thecountry. They slipped in the polls several years ago - but i think back up there again. The ONLY all volunteer crew in the nation. takes a week or so for set up.
Last year it was all fireworks from Spain. This year is suppose to be all from Japan! Heck - i might even take time off from our store to check it out. I know the owner of the supplier - says he will give us VIP seating! Tempting!

Rick_In_Tampa
01-13-2020, 05:53 PM
Why are they coming here? To observe or to shoot? It sounds to me like they're looking to shoot. If that's the case they should get on this board and network with people who live in areas where you can set the sky on fire on the 4th. Like in Florida! That seems to make the most sense to me. If they're looking to watch some nice displays, they should go to New York City. I think they put on probably the best large show in the country.

displayfireworks1
01-13-2020, 09:00 PM
They are looking to take a vacation. make some videos , tour some fireworks stores and of course buy and shoot fireworks. They are going to need a place that allows public shooting since they do not have family or friend property in United States to shoot from. Don't some of these beach areas allow public fireworks shooting. Anyone familiar with a location?

cptnding
01-13-2020, 10:05 PM
They are looking to take a vacation. make some videos , tour some fireworks stores and of course buy and shoot fireworks. They are going to need a place that allows public shooting since they do not have family or friend property in United States to shoot from. Don't some of these beach areas allow public fireworks shooting. Anyone familiar with a location?

I've been in that area several times in the last few years. Anywhere outside of city limits is legal to shoot on the beach. There are LOTS of houses and people though. Even inside the city limits it seems to be mostly tolerated though. I would imagine on the 4th people are shooting everywhere and no one cares. I've always been in late August and even inside the city limits there are a few going up on the beach every night of the week. To be outside of the city limits in the Myrtle Beach area would mean you would have to go south of Garden City. About a half an hour or so south of Myrtle Beach itself. The prices in all the stores are ridiculously expensive for obvious reasons. There are a few really good stores if you're willing to travel an hour or two.