PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing for anyone interested

DavidthePyro
01-10-2020, 01:08 PM
I have my brother making me some various items for my modules and initiators, just thought I would gauge out if anyone has said to themself "I need something like this or that but nobody makes it" and if you have any requests for items. The evolution of 3d Printing has given us the ability to make very detailed items out of various materials and could be your opportunity to have something designed. It's not a goal or anything, but if you have something you want designed and patented, he has a patent lawyer as well. Just wanted to throw it out there!

One thing we were thinking is a little adapter that would stick on the side of a cake with a hinged part that punctures the cake and allows the initiator to be inserted. Similar to quickfire clips, but anchors to the cake, inexpensive, just snaps into place. Would take less time, require a smaller hole and could even be designed with a small membrane that bursts upon ignition. Anyways, just wanted to throw it out there

Birdman
01-10-2020, 03:42 PM
I'm probably totally going to blow my big chance of being independently wealthy posting this...lol....but....

I've been trying to think of an easy way to brace cakes that doesn't involve staking or gluing to boards etc. I've had this idea in my head and was thinking about building a prototype out of wood since I don't have access to a 3d printer large enough. The idea is strips of plastic or aluminum in varying lengths (e.g. 2,3 and 4 feet) and 8 inches high or so that have interlocking teeth that can be used to box in cakes. I whipped up this very very rough concept illustration to help explain my idea:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4707&stc=1

If anyone knows of any products like this out there already, let me know.

DavidthePyro
01-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Not a bad idea, definitely need something to simplify setting up large quantities of cakes

jamisonlm3
01-10-2020, 07:49 PM
Birdman, if you've got a little time and the tools, here's an idea. It's basically a piece of plywod that has a grid of threaded holes. The image show just 1, but I use 2 pieces of 3/8" threaded rod to stablize each cake. With one, the cake can spin, but with two, it's not going anywhere. You can use whatever you have availble to hold that cake to the threaded rod. Originally, I though of useing bailing wire, but I'm thinking of using a good quality duct tape like Gorilla's or T-Rex's duct tapes. It seems to me that would be faster that trying to twist the wire together tightly against the cake.

DavidthePyro
01-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Did you make that last year? I think I remember a discussion about it, looks pretty good!

displayfireworks1
01-10-2020, 08:40 PM
At Birdman . Back in 2013 I communicated with a man that had a patent on fireworks stabilization device. You can read about it here with this link. Search out what you are trying to do, it may already exist. I once heard it is easy to create something, the hard part is brining something you created to market.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?2563-%E2%80%9CPyro-Tec-Safe%E2%80%9D&highlight=patent

Birdman
01-11-2020, 01:36 AM
I like the idea with the rods and board. One place I shoot is very rocky and trying to pound anything into the ground more than couple of inches is impossible. The only good thing is that I have plenty of rocks to use as braces.

As far as bringing a product to market, I am all to aware. I had a neighbor that spent thousands patenting an invention. Long story short, a major brand with lots of the resources at their disposable patented a similar product and brought it to market first. This company offered a fraction of what he had invested in his invention to purchase his patent but he turned it down. Even if you're lucky enough to get a product to market you're still open to being to be screwed by someone bigger. A perfect example of this is the inventor of sea monkeys. It's a perfect example of how the little guy can be can be totally screwed by someone with deep pockets and a team of lawyers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/magazine/the-battle-over-the-sea-monkey-fortune.html

topshelfpyro
01-11-2020, 10:42 AM
I'm probably totally going to blow my big chance of being independently wealthy posting this...lol....but....

I've been trying to think of an easy way to brace cakes that doesn't involve staking or gluing to boards etc. I've had this idea in my head and was thinking about building a prototype out of wood since I don't have access to a 3d printer large enough. The idea is strips of plastic or aluminum in varying lengths (e.g. 2,3 and 4 feet) and 8 inches high or so that have interlocking teeth that can be used to box in cakes. I whipped up this very very rough concept illustration to help explain my idea:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4707&stc=1

If anyone knows of any products like this out there already, let me know.

You don't need a 3d printer, you just need a router, material, tape measure and a plan!

DavidthePyro
01-13-2020, 08:53 AM
This is something my brother is making a prototype for, quickfire clips that stick to the cakes. Sorry for the drawing, I'm not really much of an artist with pen and paper. I invite all criticism

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4719&stc=1

Rick_In_Tampa
01-13-2020, 05:34 PM
As best I can tell this is a device intended to make a hole in a cake so you can insert an e-match, yes? If so, what is the benefit of using your device over a brass awl to poke a hole? How does the device secure the e-match into the cake? How is it better/different from the "quickfire" clips currently being sold by MJG? https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/7/5/quickfire-clips

DavidthePyro
01-13-2020, 06:05 PM
Would use existing fuse hole and the hole wouldn't need to be much bigger, sticks to the cake, and holds the initiator away from the inside while creating a nozzle to direct the charge, similar to quickfire. The initiator is held in the way its inserted basically (pushes in only from one side).