PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Ny?er and ATF license in the works!!!

Passamj20
01-09-2020, 01:14 PM
Hey everyone joe here, so about 3 months ago I reached out to Dave and purchased his ATF dvd?s. Filled everything out according to his advice and sent the application in. I received an email from Sue reguarding my application for which I missed the part of filling out the applicable fee lol. I fixed that portion and received my call yesterday the 8th. Set my meeting with the agent for Monday the 13th!!! Any advice of info?? Questions I should ask. I am doing contingency with al from fireart. The ATF agent did try pushing the NYS regulations on me but I politely responded that it wasn?t necessary to obtain the oap and shooters licenses to obtain this license. He said he understood and we moved on to other questions over the phone. The agent was super easy so fingers crossed and I?ll check back Monday later on. Thanks Dave for the help!!

PyroKing31
01-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Very Nice, Where abouts in NY are you?

displayfireworks1
01-09-2020, 01:39 PM
He tried to run that on the phone in hopes of getting you to withdraw. He knows if he drives out you are going to be licensed. What questions you should ask the answer is none. Let it be an educational event. Besides the only real answers are the written ones. Don't call him an Agent. Try Inspector
Thanks Al and Fire Art.

Passamj20
01-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Pyroking, I’m from buffalo. I see your from Rotchester. And thanks Dave will go with inspector from now on. Can’t say it enough how big of a help this whole website and pyro community has been. Dave one other thing he did ask about was getting a hold of the town zoning, I replied with there won’t be any fireworks stored in the town and that I’m doing contingency. He still asked me to get a letter from the zoning committee any recommendations on that? Thanks Joe

RalphieJ
01-09-2020, 02:23 PM
He tried to run that on the phone in hopes of getting you to withdraw. He knows if he drives out you are going to be licensed. What questions you should ask the answer is none. Let it be an educational event. Besides the only real answers are the written ones. Don't call him an Agent. Try Inspector
Thanks Al and Fire Art.

I don't have a type 54, (in the '70's-'80's I did obtain ATF permits to purchase and store, don't recall the number of that form). Although contingency storage is available to me for the asking, I'm too old to be setting-up/tearing-down shows (been there, done that), I'll just leave it to the younger guys and sit back and enjoy. Having said that, I can offer advice, based on my 44 years in public and corporate accounting: When dealing with any regulatory person, auditor, inspector, enforcer, bureaucrat, etc., just answer the questions asked of you. NEVER VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION THAT IS NOT ASKED FOR. On occasion, some in those positions will get cozy, warm you up, and that's when you're most vulnerable to blurt out something you shouldn't have, and they'll use it to add a feather to their cap. Believe me, learning the hard way, I speak from experience.

Passamj20
01-09-2020, 02:35 PM
Appreciate the info. Glad I asked the question thank you.

PyroKing31
01-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Pyroking, I’m from buffalo. I see your from Rotchester.

Nice, sent you a PM

PyroJoeNEPA
01-09-2020, 08:06 PM
Hey Joe---great to hear you are able to move forward with your "54" paperwork. Al & all the crew at Fire Art are remarkable people and great to work with--PS--they will be having a demo night coming up in May--so keep an eye out for it.

displayfireworks1
01-09-2020, 08:15 PM
You are on a contingency from Fire Art. If he is asking you for town zoning letters etc, , they must be sending the new hire out to visit you or he is not familiar with explosive applications . I wish the ATF would give New York State over to the Pennsylvania ATF Inspectors when it pertains to explosives. We have been down this ATF road before in New York and many other states. You do not need zoning letters , registration at the state level as business, permission from the local fire department . state shooter certificates etc as prerequisites to the Federal ATF Fireworks License when using the contingency route.. These thing are all well and good however, they are not required at this point.
Do not debate any of this during your interview. Insist that anything requested beyond what you originally supplied with the application that brought him to your home to be interviewed, BE IN WRITING. If during the interview you are VERBALLY ask to supply a document, you then request it be WRITTEN exactly what they are requesting. You be sure they write and not you. He is going to try to verbally tell you and make you write it. Once you are done with your interview. Message me the written document HE WRITES that you need to do. And whatever you do, do not voluntarily withdraw that application. Also get his name and business card. You are almost there, hang in there.

Mattp
01-10-2020, 03:15 PM
someone said to me before i had my interview to read the orange book front to back.. and then do it again... LOL.. but i honestly thing thats solid advice!!!
because you will then already know alot of the info that will be discussed in the interview.. good luck!! im sure it will work out

Passamj20
01-13-2020, 12:18 PM
Count down.... minus 2 hours. I’ll be back with the follow up and how things went!!

Crush630
01-13-2020, 01:47 PM
You will do fine, just listen and pay attention.

Passamj20
01-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Well... everything went great. Did as everyone said and just listened and learned a little bit. He did refer to security on the premises and distances and I simply stated again that I’m on contingency. He said that it’s just part of the process and stuff he just has to talk about. So in all I’m super pleased with the process and like Dave says don’t let them pull the scare tactics and tell you that you need a,b,c before you get the license stick with what Dave said. Thanks again everyone. And a huge should out to Dave and Al from Fire Art!!!!

PyroKing31
01-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Nice Joe! Hopefully it all goes well. I will have to do mine next!

Arclight
01-14-2020, 05:33 PM
I agree with the above posters - if you got through the interview, you should see a blue envelope in a couple of weeks. Mine was much more complicated (Type 20 license 2 magazines, commercial blasting) and all they really did was verify that what they looked at matched what was on the paperwork and had me correct and initial a couple of mistakes.

displayfireworks1
01-14-2020, 07:48 PM
It sounds like you made it, let us know when you receive the license in the mail. It may or may not be in a blue envelope. They may have either stopped using the blue envelope or or randomly using it. I'm sure the original blue intent was to call your attention to it as not junk mail. The questions about the security of your premises are being ask of everyone irrespective or your situation (storage or contingency). I suspect they will one day require it in some fashion but are first assessing the overall burden on license holders to see how many already have things like camera , video security etc. It is just easier to ask everyone the survey questions at the time of renewal or new applicant. They actually should preface the questions as "These next questions are survey questions and do not effect your license application". This will give them accurate responses. If they don't, applicants may think they have to say yes to those questions or will fail the application process.

Passamj20
01-25-2020, 02:51 PM
***UPDATE***
Hey everyone, glad to say that I am now an officially licensed 54-user of explosives!!!!
Just for future reference in the date of NY my envelop was white and was addressed to my full name from Martinsburg WV. Thanks everyone who has helped and chimed in on this post and mostly Dave!
Bought his videos and then through this website another license has been issued.

ShorePyroTom
01-25-2020, 09:10 PM
***UPDATE***
Hey everyone, glad to say that I am now an officially licensed 54-user of explosives!!!!
Just for future reference in the date of NY my envelop was white and was addressed to my full name from Martinsburg WV. Thanks everyone who has helped and chimed in on this post and mostly Dave!
Bought his videos and then through this website another license has been issued.

Glad to hear that you made it, just in time for the Spring open shoots!

Tgwinn
01-26-2020, 12:13 AM
someone said to me before i had my interview to read the orange book front to back.. and then do it again... LOL.. but i honestly thing thats solid advice!!!
because you will then already know alot of the info that will be discussed in the interview.. good luck!! im sure it will work out

How do I go about getting one of these orange books? I'm in the process as well and could use a solid information book to look back on.

displayfireworks1
01-26-2020, 12:19 AM
OK now its official. Add another ATF license to New York State.

displayfireworks1
01-26-2020, 10:42 AM
How do I go about getting one of these orange books? I'm in the process as well and could use a solid information book to look back on.

Here is the link to the book. If you need the link in the future I have it on the same page I sell my ATF/DVD package.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/pdf/2012-BATFE-orange-book-web.pdf

Tgwinn
01-26-2020, 12:06 PM
Thanks dave

Fire Art
01-27-2020, 12:56 PM
Congratulations on obtaining your license. Glad I could help with the process. It is always interesting to hear what awkward requests the Investigators come up with from New York and Massachusetts. Realize these guys and gals do not deal with fireworks individuals often so more often than not they are in the process of learning as well.