PDA

View Full Version : Two accidents already into the New Year.

Crush630
01-03-2020, 04:29 PM
CHICAGO, IL ? A 5-year-old boy lost his hand in an accident involving a "sparkler-type firework" on New Year's Day in Englewood, police said. A 37-year-old man was charged with child endangerment in the incident.

Police told ABC Chicago that officers responded to the 5600 block of South May Street around 6:50 p.m. and applied a tourniquet to the boy's left hand. He was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where he was stabilized, but the hand could not be saved, police said.

Cardiel Phillips was charged with a misdemeanor count of endangering the life of a child and was cited with a municipal fireworks violation.

The Englewood incident was not the only fireworks accident over New Year's in Chicagoland.

In Oak Lawn, a man in his 20s also lost a hand in a New Year's Eve incident.

"It was pretty devastating," Oak Lawn Fire Chief Mike Mavrogeorge said. "His hand and wrist were completely destroyed."

jamisonlm3
01-03-2020, 05:56 PM
An exploding sparkler type firework?

Fox One
01-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Probably a "sparkler bomb" that yahoos love to make and set off.

JoSlicknuts
01-04-2020, 12:02 AM
It was probably one of the big crackers with the fountain before the report. Probably of the illegal variety. What are the chances of coming across police that can identify an illegal firework? Guy could have picked up an "explosives" charge too.

displayfireworks1
01-04-2020, 12:05 AM
It was probably one of the big crackers with the fountain before the report. Probably of the illegal variety. What are the chances of coming across police that can identify an illegal firework? Guy could have picked up an "explosives" charge too.

Thank you. That is exactly what I suspect.

krayg
01-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Probably a "sparkler bomb" that yahoos love to make and set off.

I didn't know what that was so I looked it up. Wow. Those are insane. No thanks.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-05-2020, 09:37 PM
Sparkler bomb is first thing that come to my mind. In any case, these "adults" need to have the book thrown at them. Any adult that would give something like that to a kid needs to have one strapped to his "boys" in return. There's just no excuse for this.

chriskrc
01-06-2020, 08:12 AM
That's stupidity and bad parenting. To hand a 5 year something like that is just stupid and thoughtless. Yet it will bring out the anti pyro's because of his stupidity.

Birdman
01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
When I read they had to apply a tourniquet and the hand was lost my first thought was how could any "sparkler-type firework" cause that? Now it makes sense.

beaver nation
01-10-2020, 07:00 AM
was thinking improvised explosive device AKA sparkler bomb right away, just makes me sick to my stomach.

DavidthePyro
01-10-2020, 08:33 AM
My phone background is a picture from one of my shows and a constant reminder of safety. Never had an accident (knock on wood) but I had two cans flower pot from my finale. Being prepared for the worst is why I'm confident in my track record. I use the same line of thinking to make sure I'll never get a DUI, for example. All about optimistic outcomes, whatever it takes. 4706

jamisonlm3
01-10-2020, 07:29 PM
DavidthePyro, I hear you. I had a situation this year too. The last shell from one of my racks didn't shoot. The fuse burned all the way down to the lift, but didn't stopped burning right at the bend on the outside of the shell.

Icooclast
01-10-2020, 07:46 PM
i am not surprised that it happened so quickly into the new year, likely does every year. after all, we are talking about a holiday that mixes mass amounts of alcohol and then we add fireworks to it. it's a remedy for disaster. i'm not saying you should drink and let fireworks off, but that is what most people will do. hell, for most people a holiday is a time to get completely ****-faced, no matter the holiday. same thing goes for every weekend for some people. so, it doesn't surprise me. it makes the pyro in me sad, but not surprised. it is also a shame when kids have to pay for the mistakes of adults, as well.