PDA

View Full Version : Looks like fireworks tariff will be averted

beaver nation
12-13-2019, 03:08 AM
Wall street journal is reporting that the US and Chinese have come to an agreement that will avert the 15% tariff increase that was proposed to start Dec 15 and included fireworks. It says that the US will still keep the possibility of imposing the increases in future if terms are not kept. for the US agricultural community they will be fortunate to even get back to the level of exports they had before the tariff war started after finding new suppliers.

esgrillo
12-13-2019, 08:50 AM
This is great news for a lot of reasons. Watch the Dow the next few days!

jknepp1954
12-13-2019, 09:49 AM
It is not a done deal yet. But i am not sure what has to happen to make it a done deal.....
avoided the bullet yet 1 more time.....

morrison2951
12-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Whew!!!!!!

Birdman
12-14-2019, 01:24 PM
This was good news to hear. I was really curious to see how the market forces played out if the tariff was imposed. I started to come around to the thinking that the tariff would have had little affect on firework prices. Doesn't matter now and that's certainly the best outcome.

displayfireworks1
12-14-2019, 02:33 PM

Can't wait to see the numbers this year for the Santa Claus Rally

nightstalker
12-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Good news for buyers. This will enable us to buy more product at the same price.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-15-2019, 10:00 PM

All in brother!! :cool:

Icooclast
12-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Santa gave me my Christmas present early. :)

beaver nation
12-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Good news for buyers. This will enable us to buy more product at the same price.

shipping is more now so still may see a little jump in prices

displayfireworks1
12-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Once again good job by the American Pyrotechnic Association and their timely response to their members in regard to the current state of the "China Tariff". I'm actually 2 days late posting it after I received it. LOL
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4651&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4652&stc=1

joewad
12-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Is that a redaction with "magic tape"?

jknepp1954
12-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Keep in mind - on Sept. 1, 2019 the 15% tarriff on some items did go into effect and has NOT went away. They included novelties - which include sparklers, snaps, party poppers, and pistol poppers. So expect to pay a bit more for these items this year!

joed2323
12-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Keep in mind - on Sept. 1, 2019 the 15% tarriff on some items did go into effect and has NOT went away. They included novelties - which include sparklers, snaps, party poppers, and pistol poppers. So expect to pay a bit more for these items this year!

I think most of us can live with the increase of novelty items seeing as these items are not in our shows...

Icooclast
12-20-2019, 09:34 PM
i just read a letter sent to my e-mail from spirit of 76 fireworks about this issue, here is a copy/paste of it, with contact info left out:

UPDATE ON FIREWORKS TARIFF AND CHINA PRODUCTION

FIREWORK TARIFF. We have some great news to share. NO NEW TARIFF ON FIREWORKS. As we reported earlier, a 15% tariff was scheduled to go into effect on Dec 15th. On December 13th the United States and China entered into a trade deal which removed the tariff on fireworks before they went into effect.

CHINA PRODUCTION. On Dec 4th, 2019 there was an explosion at a fireworks factory in Liuyang, Hunan Province, killing at least 7 people and injuring more. Due to the severity of the accident, all factories in Liuyang were forced to close down. As a result, factories must go through a thorough inspection before they are allowed to reopen. Our suppliers expect this to be a lengthy process with many factories not opening until after the Chinese New Year celebration in February. It is still unclear, but our suppliers have indicated that this recent accident may have an effect on factories in other provinces as well.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU. Barring any unforeseen problems, fireworks prices for 2020 should remain fairly flat. However, with factories shut down in August, September, and part of October, many fireworks manufacturers were already behind schedule. The recent accident and subsequent factory closings has only exacerbated the production problem in China. Spirit of ‘76 predicts that fireworks fulfillment from China will be delayed this year and that, across the industry, many items will sell out prior to the 4th of July. We encourage our customers to submit their orders early to reserve inventory for the June/July selling season.

joewad
12-20-2019, 10:33 PM
Same email content I received from Casabella.......except it include some of their products in inventory at reduced prices

beaver nation
12-21-2019, 07:44 AM

the letter states that the 15% tariff on those items will be rolled back to 7.5% at a future date (not announced yet)...I just wonder if it was 15% added onto the prior rate or if it was a 15% rate in total??? I was under the impression these were INCREASE percentages and not the actual new tariff rate which would be higher.