PDA

View Full Version : Need a Mortar Rack

cracker
11-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Hey guys, I need help finding a mortar rack.

This New Years we are having another rager at the ranch. So I decided to put on a little show to ring in the new year. I am going to be using standard consumer shells 1.75 I believe is the size.

Can anybody recommend some pre-built mortar racks? I'm not interested in building my as its easier to just buy one already made. I'm looking for about 20 shots.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

indianahx
11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Advertisers page, believe there are a couple there....pyrodirect has there sale going on as well, it was just discussed in another thread

Pyro Nation
11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
As Indiana said, Pyrodirect is having a great sale, but those do not ship until next year.....

But they still have some great pricing on other racks.

cracker
12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
ok I am looking at this rack From Big's. Would this be the right size for a 1.75 shell? I wonder if I can get this shipped before Christmas???? This will be my first show.

http://www.bigfireworks.com/fireworks-tubes-mortar-racks/28-TUBE-DISPLAY-RACK-001297.aspx

Pyro Nation
12-05-2011, 12:04 AM
That rack would work for any consumer shell, but they are arriving soon. I dont know if they have them in stock, but if ya want it before christmas ya better get on getting no matter who ya get a rack from. Basically 2 weeks left if ya plan the shipping way

indianahx
12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I bought two of those racks. No offense to bigs or anyone else that uses them but mine were very sub-standard. The wood is very thin and only held together with staples. After one shoot I could tell that one of them had been substantially weakend and was near falling apart. I was afraid to shoot out of it again. So I tore the racks apart, salvaged the tubes and actually gave away 20 of the tubes on pyroU. I would suggest getting your own tubes and building your own solid racks or, again, go with an advertiser.

That was just my experience with that particular setup. The tubes are great, the construction was not.

Where are you located???

gmttnt13
12-05-2011, 02:30 AM
I was told that milk crates make good racks. How safe and practical is that?

Pyro Nation
12-05-2011, 02:36 AM
They are ok in a pinch. I know a few people who do still use them. I am not one for them though. Plastic to me makes a pretty scary mix. Especially if cold out and crate is cold potential for danger is huge. That is just one opinion though. U can make your own 20 shot rack for like 8 dollars or cheaper if your local Lowes or Home Depot has some scrap wood

gmttnt13
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
If you look at the skylighter web site, they actually are the ones that gave me the idea. Look under how to make a 30 shot mortar rack.
I only shoot in the summer and was going to duct tape the crates so in case of accident it would not blow out too badly. I was going to tape the mortars together also but after seeing the wood from the monument place I think I will spend this winter building my racks. My neighbor happens to own a monument company so I will be talking to him on Monday.

Pyro Nation
12-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Good place to get it from. Really isnt hard to build your own. I enjoy doing it. Leads ya to do whatever design and shot amount ya wish

indianahx
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Duct tape is going to do absolutely SQUAT in the event of a blowout. Also, in a milkcrate rack, imagine what would happen if there was a cato in the center mortar---goodbye surrounding mortars with possibly live/lit shells. I would never even consider a milk crate rack.

In a pinch, you can take your tubes from the consumer kits and place them in various buckets and fill with sand. Makes the mortars nice and snug but can get fairly heavy.

cracker
12-05-2011, 11:59 PM
In ca, that's why its a little tough to find what I need. Its actually me and a buddy that are doing the show, between the two of us were good on shells and cakes. Just need racks and a lot fuse ready to go - in the mail!!

indianahx
12-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Well, I was going to offer you some racks as loaners but I'm wayyy far away. Itd be nice if someone closer could help you out

Pyro Nation
12-06-2011, 01:48 AM
U say it is hard to find what you need....but Im sure you have a lumber store you can visit. It really isnt that expensive to make a rack

cracker
12-06-2011, 02:50 AM
U say it is hard to find what you need....but Im sure you have a lumber store you can visit. It really isnt that expensive to make a rack

True, but it is no easier obtaining quality tubes.

Also, I have no interest in making my own rack. It will cost more in tools, hardware and wood than it would to just buy one.

blown2bits
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Cracker, I know you don't want to build a rack, but if you ever buy a few cases of pro shells or any other fiberglass kits, I have found nearly every home improvement store carries 1x3's for really cheap and with the pro shell tubes all you have to do is cut the lumber to length and they fit perfectly. I made a rack with hand tools in about 30 minutes this way, and saved money too since I already had the tubes, I will say though pyrodirect is great and their racks are great so if you dont want to build, I would say they are one of your better choices.

Pyro Nation
12-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Like I said before. If you want to purchase a pre-made rack you need to order now. Days are numbered when shipping time with Christmas coming

floridapyro
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Not all of us are handy. I prefer to build my own but to each his own. If you use kit glass tubes you either have to cut the base or build around it (which is goofy). I don't think Cracker sounds like hes going to be buying cases of shells. From what I have gathered he needs to order from wherever soon.

liam
12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Good evening everyone:
Depending on where you are, Big D's Fireworks located in Blooming Grove, PA will construct a mortar rack to your specifications. DR-11, HDPE, either 12" or 15" long They can construct it and ship. Look for their website. when you call, ask for Matt.

liam
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I forgot to mention...all their mortar tubes come plugged and the rack is constructed out of a combination of solid lumber and plywood. No particle board.

cracker
12-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow thanks for all of the great responses guys, you rock! We officially have permission from the land owner to do the show - it's a go!!

While I don't have any tools, I might be able to go to someones house and use theirs. But I should be self sufficient. Either way I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm ready to make the purchase of fuse and rack/tubes tomorrow. It turns out finding fuse is harder than finding a rack :/

I have an hd video camera, but lost the battery. If I find the battery then I'll post a video of of the set up and the show.

cracker
12-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Holy cow I didn't realize ground shipping was going to cost just about as much the rack itself!!!!!

I was planning on making a purchase tomorrow, but building my own is starting to look better! One problem, I have no tools nor do I know how.

gmttnt13
12-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Holy cow I didn't realize ground shipping was going to cost just about as much the rack itself!!!!!

I was planning on making a purchase tomorrow, but building my own is starting to look better! One problem, I have no tools nor do I know how.

i found plans on earthlink.com and since Saturday have built one 15 tube rack and five ten tube racks. the hardest part was cutting all the lumber and building the first one. Now it is a breeze to build.

indianahx
12-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Cracker....just pmed you so won't do so again just yet, but if you'd like I can send you a few pictures of what mine look like. 2x3 for bottom, 2x3 for 2 sides, plywood for top rail, osb for bottom rail. I use spacers but that's optional......you can find PLENTY of debate by searching for spacers and also plywood vs osb

floridapyro
12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Cracker,
I have got all my wood for racks and cake boards by asking for scraps at construction sites. (except 2x3's). Sometimes if you go to Lowes and talk to a nice guy he will give you really big scaps for free. I have never bought a piece of wood besides 2x3 ever, and I use alot.

gmttnt13
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
indianahx... that is exactly the way I am building my racks. The schematics for that build are on earthlink. I like the spacers, keeps the tubes nice and tight.

cracker
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, So I decided to build my own. Yup, build my own. I ordered everything off of pyrodirect.com I just hope it comes in time! I'm probably going to have to make the racks before the actual tubes arrive, accept I don't know what the OD of the tubes are :/ Also, I hope I got the right fuse.....

Here is a copy paste of my receipt:

Items

005-5001 - 1.91" x 15" HDPE Mortar Tube DR11

Delivery Method: Ground Shipping (Pending Shipment)

Quantity: 20

Subtotal: $40.00

058-0122 - 30' Waterproof 2.5mm 10 Pieces 3' Long Visco Fuse - 30s

Quantity: 2

Subtotal: $5.98

017-9000 - Mystical Fire - 1 Pack

Quantity: 2

Subtotal: $2.50

058-0131 - 20' Fast Fuse 3s per foot 3mm Chinese

Quantity: 1

Subtotal: $3.50

058-0111 - Crackling fuse, 12pc 1 foot ea

Quantity: 1

Subtotal: $3.50

Delivery Address

Minerva Mouse
1313 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, California 92802
United States
Other Information

Shipping and Billing Comments

This order is for a New Years Eve show. I will not be home to receive the order between 12/25 - 12/29. Please call me if the order will not arrive by 12/22 - thanks

Agreement

AGREE

Need By Date

12/22/2011

Pyro Nation
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
AWESOME.... Hope you have a AWESOME and more importantly SAFE time....

floridapyro
12-14-2011, 07:21 PM
My man...you do realize your on the internet right? Any other board you could delete that. Not here though. Hope you have a great Holiday!

cracker
12-14-2011, 07:57 PM
My man...you do realize your on the internet right? Any other board you could delete that. Not here though. Hope you have a great Holiday!

Mapquest the address ;)

Pyro Nation
12-14-2011, 09:21 PM
LOL... NICE..... Too funny.... Even if it was the real house... Not like it was a SSN or something really important

indianahx
12-14-2011, 09:50 PM
You can always ask Dave to edit the address off the post....looks like you're all set to get your hands dirty

cracker
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Well here are the plans I'm going to use (with a few changes). You know I would probably not have gotten this far without yours guys help, and stayed under budget - THANKS!

http://home.earthlink.net/~spatialoffice/10Mortar.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~spatialoffice/10Mortar.html

indianahx
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
That's almost identical to exactly what I've built.....up to you but here's what I'd do different:

4" top rail is a little overkill...
You really don't HAVE to secure your mortars. Make it right and you'll have them nice and snug yet still removable if necessary...
All the screws on the bottom of bottom rail are, to me, again overkill. You've already got a screw on the top at each spacer so I spread 3 or 4 out evenly on bottom....
The plywood ends, again, is overkill but use if you like (this one is a debatable topic)....

Overall solid plans. Toy with it once you crank out what you like and you'll never look back....

cracker
12-17-2011, 02:13 AM
That's almost identical to exactly what I've built.....up to you but here's what I'd do different:

4" top rail is a little overkill...
You really don't HAVE to secure your mortars. Make it right and you'll have them nice and snug yet still removable if necessary...
All the screws on the bottom of bottom rail are, to me, again overkill. You've already got a screw on the top at each spacer so I spread 3 or 4 out evenly on bottom....
The plywood ends, again, is overkill but use if you like (this one is a debatable topic)....

Overall solid plans. Toy with it once you crank out what you like and you'll never look back....

Yeah definitely going to make some changes. I'm not going to use plywood at all.

The two top boards, and the two bottom boards are going to be a .5in x 3in solid board (pre-cut). I might have to use
All those screws in the bottom are excessive. And might even cause splitting.
And the plywood on the end? Maybe.
I think its best for me to not screw down the tubes.

Also I should add that I am making two of them and plan on arranging them in a "v" or fan type shape. What angle would be best for that?

indianahx
12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Whatever angle you choose. If you don't want to make your racks angled "permanently", you can go with a modular design by cutting to end boards and putting slots in them. Add eyehooks to the ends of your racks then when you assembled on site your racks can be straight up or angled.
I have mine set up for 5 10-shot racks so essentially my racks look like this:

\ \ l / /

However, because I have the slots, if I only want a W or maybe a V pattern, I don't have to use all 5 racks and can do this:

\ l / or \ /

If that doesn't quite make sense just let me know and I can get the stuff down and take a few pictures. Overall, angle doesn't matter, its your choice. I've seen a little angle go a long way though.

cracker
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
I was thinking a rack like this looks good:

( . )( . )

;)

Seriously though, I like the idea of using two eyehooks. I'm going to be setting them up in a field so I could easily use re-bar. Also I kinda like this idea:

http://home.earthlink.net/~spatialoffice/20AngledTubeRackOSB.jpg

I just wish I knew what the OD of the tubes are, so that way I can get started before they arrive.

gmttnt13
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Cracker,
I followed the same instructions that you are using from eartlink and pre cut all the wood and spacers and for some reason was coming up short on the last spacer by 3/4 of an inch. I had the tubes already, 100 of them, so I put together the bottom and ends then put the tubes and spacers in place on the top and bottom and then on the last spacers cut them to fit after I put the toprail on and squared it. I then drilled and screwed the bottom rail to the spacers and bottom. Then I went back to the top rail and drilled and screwed that to the top spacers. This makes a nice tight fit by leaving the tubes in. Now all that is left to do is flip it over and do the other side the same way. Moral of this story is wait for the tubes, it will be much easier and you will have a perfect fit and each rack will be identical. I hope this helps.

indianahx
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Nothing wrong with that design except that you will have it already assembled before going to the field (heavy), or you will have to bring wood, drill, and screws with you as well and assemble on site. The eyehooks and rebar would be the bare ass minimum but would work. I'll shoot you a pic ASAP of my end boards.

In the meantime, my dr11 mortars measure 2 and 3/8 inch at top and juuuuust a hair bigger at the plug end. Now get building.

indianahx
12-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I was thinking a rack like this looks good:

( . )( . )

;)

Seriously though, I like the idea of using two eyehooks. I'm going to be setting them up in a field so I could easily use re-bar. Also I kinda like this idea:

http://home.earthlink.net/~spatialoffice/20AngledTubeRackOSB.jpg

I just wish I knew what the OD of the tubes are, so that way I can get started before they arrive.

Just a quick reminder, those plans do not take into account the width of the blade you're cutting with. Also, the are wooden racks, not swiss watches......

Pyro Nation
12-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Definitely consider the blade u are using.. I didnt on my first few racks and when I went to assemble... I was cursing myself for it...

cracker
12-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm gonna go shopping for materials tomorrow. I hear I can get scrap wood from home depot.

Anyhow, I was only able to get 15 in tubes from Pyrodirect. Should I cut them down to 12? What is the advantage/disadvantage of using 12 vs 15?

Pyro Nation
12-21-2011, 01:26 AM
They say it gives the shell more height, atleast that is what I was told. I didn't find that when I used them any real difference. Just the cost difference of 15" to 12" mortar. All the 15" one's I had I cut down to 12"

indianahx
12-21-2011, 04:43 AM
There is a "proclaimed" height advantage, but I don't know of anywhere you'll find a solid and factual test of that.

The big disadvantage is that now your leader fuse on shells will fall short. Because of this you will have to add an extension of fuse, cute a hole in your tube to poke fuse out, or cut the tube down altogether.

I know you said the 15s were all you could get, but personally I would only get the 12" mortars just so I don't have to dick with the extra hassles.

Any pictures/progress yet???

Pyro Nation
12-21-2011, 05:14 AM
There is a "proclaimed" height advantage, but I don't know of anywhere you'll find a solid and factual test of that.

The big disadvantage is that now your leader fuse on shells will fall short. Because of this you will have to add an extension of fuse, cute a hole in your tube to poke fuse out, or cut the tube down altogether.

I know you said the 15s were all you could get, but personally I would only get the 12" mortars just so I don't have to dick with the extra hassles.

Any pictures/progress yet???

Yeah..thats the other pain in the butt..... The fuse falls short and just creates a hassle and more time when doing setup, which can cause ya issues if short on time.....

Save the hassle and just cut them down to 12"

cracker
12-23-2011, 02:15 AM
"There is a "proclaimed" height advantage, but I don't know of anywhere you'll find a solid and factual test of that."

-I think the site admin needs to get on this one before somebody else does!-

:cool: