PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Rotchester NY!! The home of no aerial fireworks

Passamj20
11-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Hey everyone, finally got registered!! I?ve been doing family shows out in the backyard for 4 years now. It helps when your brother is on the force and have in-laws in the fire department. All the shows have been 1.4 as getting a license is becoming more and more difficult. I stared off Measuring fuses and trying to put shows together being hand light. Then I decided to try out a Chinese firing system that was decent but had to many cues never fire. I just bought a cobra last year, 18r2/ audio box/ 3-18m. And what a difference, I have done 3 scripted shows using excel and it?s been great. Haven?t used the audio box yet though. I?m currently in the works of getting my atf, I purchased Dave?s dvd package have mostly everything filled out but I?ve read that I lust have a own and posses first. Bunch of conflicting things. I do live kinda far from any of Dave?s contingency partners so I bought the ridges 48os job back and I?m going to attempt of getting that certified also. Any recommendations or info I?d appreciate. Thanks and again hello from buffalo/ Rotchester Ny

PyroKing31
11-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Hello fellow Rochester Pyro.

Welcome! There's much to learn here. To get own and possess in NYS you need to be a licensed pyro in the state which takes 3 years of working professional shows. I am starting that this coming season.

Passamj20
11-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Gotcha thank you for the info. So that’s your next step is working for a company for 3 years? Or is that just for own and posses? Do you have a type 54? Thanks Joe

PyroKing31
11-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Don't have a type 54, own and posess doesnt let you shoot. NYS is very difficult. You need a shooters permit essentially. ATF lets you buy but NYS has its own regulations. I'm still learning it all as its very complex in NYS

Passamj20
11-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I’ve read a bunch and that’s what I have come up with also. Essentially 3 different types of license.
Atf, shooter license ( knowledge- written test) and then the own and posses

chriskrc
11-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the forum fellow NYer and great to meet you. Dave has helped make a lot of advances here in NY. Yes NY is difficult in many ways but the 54 is a federal license. I haven't finished the process yet myself ( I have Dave's dvd as well), but you can still get the 54 before all the state licenses. Many have done this already. It's a lot different for a hobbyist. NY trys to treat everything as a business but you can get by that as a hobbyist.

Wholesale Fireworks
11-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Passamj20 Welcome to the forum. As mentioned above the Type 54 is a federal license so the state has no say in the process. The good thing about getting your 54 is that you can then go to open shoots in other states and purchase and shoot 1.3 during those events. Good luck.

Passamj20
11-19-2019, 08:57 PM
Awesome to hear! And thanks for stopping in. I appreciate all the info. I have everything filled out and my job box all set. Just wanted to try and do all my homework prior. Wf boom I wish I could get you guys to ship out to ny I have heard all good things about you and the products. Chirskrc thanks for the info. I’ll be mailing in the paperwork soon.

Fire Art
11-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you want to pursue getting your 54, it is typically easier to get it with contingency storage and add a magazine later. I could help you with all this and at least get you started as you work on getting the magazine set up and your NY requirements achieved. We shoot a couple of shows in the Rochester area ever year so we do get out your way from time to time.

Passamj20
11-20-2019, 02:18 PM
That would be awesome. I could always use some guidance, especially from someone in the ny area. The magazine was “at the time” my only option. I planned on using Kellner’s but I am a little far. I pmed you also

jknepp1954
11-21-2019, 07:04 AM
I am a member of a fireworks club up that way called Western New York Pyros. Most members are from the Buffalo and Rochester area. Many of them also for 3 different primary companies up that way. Maybe contact them for helps in getting started. I have contact info for 2 out of 3of those companies. Message me and I will send you names and numbers of a couple contacts.

joewad
11-21-2019, 12:37 PM
I am a member of a fireworks club up that way called Western New York Pyros. Most members are from the Buffalo and Rochester area. Many of them also for 3 different primary companies up that way. Maybe contact them for helps in getting started. I have contact info for 2 out of 3of those companies. Message me and I will send you names and numbers of a couple contacts.

Always going out of your way to help. Hat's off to you.........4592

Passamj20
11-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Thank you appreciate it. Working on finding some contingency storage now. Appreciate all the help, it’s crazy when you find people with the same hobby how much help you can get!

bml215
11-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Hey, welcome to the boards.

Bad Alibi Scott
11-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forum from a fellow New Yorker!!! I'm kind of in the same boat as you as far as the ATF54, paper work is all done but finding contingency close enough is a major problem. Sure would be nice if NY would pull its head from its rear end and allow 1.4 and make licensing for 1.3 a little less difficult. I for one would be willing to pay a tax similar to PA if I could get product shipped to my door and be able to legally shoot it. Keep us informed how you make out as it may benefit some of us other pyros as well.

displayfireworks1
11-24-2019, 09:43 PM
You guys out of New York, we can get you contingency from Kellners and/or Fire Art in Pennsylvania. Contact either one and ask about coming to the 2 x a year demos and/or ATF classes I teach.

Passamj20
11-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Thanks Dave, I talked with Al from fire art and he’s helping me out. Can’t say enough how much help everyone has been. I will be creating a post in the near future about my endeavor thanks again!!

displayfireworks1
11-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Glad to hear Al at Fire Art was helpful to you. If you feel you need some additional training consider the PGI Shooter course Fire Art and Kellner Fireworks offer in the early spring.

Passamj20
11-25-2019, 09:47 PM
Yeah for sure. Can learn something new everyday on here and with the classes and shoots. Figure the smart thing to do is have a safe environment for my first shoots with people that have been doing it for years.