PDA

View Full Version : To Recycle Or Not Recycle? That Is The Question!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-10-2019, 11:10 PM
So because I'm bored, I have a question for the masses.

As most of you may remember, I had a pretty spectacular rain delay last year, and my show was s--t because of it. The audio started late, and when it did, it was so low no one could hear it anyway. The problem is, I REALLY loved the song choices I picked that year. So I'm thinking about using the show soundtrack from that show, but changing up the effects for 2020. Is that low rent of me?? It's not about saving time. I've already put a soundtrack together for my 2020 show. I am just super bummed by the 2018 show and I'd like another crack at it.

What do you guys think? :confused:

Kooooou
11-11-2019, 02:50 AM
I think recycling is fine. All the big productions and Disney do it too and the audience still have a blast every time. If you want to make it almost unnoticeable to anyone who may remember the soundtrack, just throw them off by starting the music with a more recent (think 2020) song and then roll right into your 2018 sequence.

Icooclast
11-11-2019, 03:18 AM
i wouldn't think there would be anything wrong with it. as stated parks and such are set. like the live batman show at the sea world around here. all the effects were same time/same place, same show almost every time.
and usually all animal shows are run on the same thing every day 'till they lose attendance. actually; come to think of it all parks and such are pretty much the same, even our towns fireworks starts out the same and same music.

i'd say just throw in some new effects to replace the ones you used last year and recycle the rest of your previous year's show in with the older music. after all you keep it slightly different and i don't think anyone will realize that a lot of it is a repeat (no pun intended)

but that's really not the point. it matters what you think as well. is this cheating to you or is it ok? i say you spent legit time and money on your last show, so wanting to see it work as planned, there's nothing really wrong with that, imo

joewad
11-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Not a problem at all, go for it!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to re-listen to both the old and new soundtracks and make a decision. I almost feel like I'm cheating! But I guess there's nothing wrong with that if it makes people smile at the end, right?! :cool:

esgrillo
11-11-2019, 05:45 PM
I have recycled a song or 2. I wanted to do Thunderstruck one more time last year and done it a few years back when I had 3 18ms to do an entire 18 minute show lol.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Rick--you are the creative force behind your show. Most people would not give it a second thought if you "recycled" some of the sound tracks for the next show--and they absolutely will not remember what effects you paired to the tracks. Don't over think it! Have fun with it! And if you are uncertain about any particular segment, just stick a couple salutes in that spot! <grin>.

Wholesale Fireworks
11-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Rick , You really are bored aren't you..LOL I can't even remember what songs I heard on the radio on my way into work this morning. I definitely can't remember what the soundtracks were to the shows I saw a year ago. I think you will be fine reusing the same music.
I wouldn't worry too much.

snickels
11-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Ditto what Ray said. Don't look at it as cheating. Look at it as revamping your vision. Your crowd wants to see fireworks. That is what makes them happy. That's what makes you happy! Rock it out for 2020 and enjoy it!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-12-2019, 05:46 PM
I have recycled a song or 2. I wanted to do Thunderstruck one more time last year and done it a few years back when I had 3 18ms to do an entire 18 minute show lol.

That's an awesome song! I've got to get that into a show soon.

Rick--you are the creative force behind your show. Most people would not give it a second thought if you "recycled" some of the sound tracks for the next show--and they absolutely will not remember what effects you paired to the tracks. Don't over think it! Have fun with it! And if you are uncertain about any particular segment, just stick a couple salutes in that spot! <grin>.

Thanks Joe. I wish I had access to salutes. Music would be the least of my concerns! But your point is well taken. Thanks.

Rick , You really are bored aren't you..LOL I can't even remember what songs I heard on the radio on my way into work this morning. I definitely can't remember what the soundtracks were to the shows I saw a year ago. I think you will be fine reusing the same music.
I wouldn't worry too much.

Lol... Great point Ray. And yes... I really was bored. lol... :rolleyes:

Ditto what Ray said. Don't look at it as cheating. Look at it as revamping your vision. Your crowd wants to see fireworks. That is what makes them happy. That's what makes you happy! Rock it out for 2020 and enjoy it!

Thanks snickels. Sounds like a good plan to me!

You guys are awesome! I always get great advice in here. Keeps me pointed in the right direction, and I appreciate that greatly.

Birdman
11-13-2019, 02:00 PM
I say go for it.

During my last 4th show I decided at the last minute to crank Thunderstruck on my Bluetooth speaker while I was firing, for my own enjoyment and inspiration. I was amazed at how well I was able to time things without any planning what's so ever. I guess you could call it a happy accident. This is when I got hooked on the idea of curating my show to music (I wouldn't call what I'm doing a pyromusical compared to what I've seen you guys are doing). My first attempt at planning a show to music did not go nearly as planned. I totally understand how badly you would want a redo. Not only do I plan to use Thunderstruck this 4th (I don't think anyone heard it but me anyway), I can't wait to get to do a redo of my last show. I'm breaking down and getting a Cobra system because I've learned if you're going to do the music thing, even on a small scale, you need a pro system.

Mattp
11-15-2019, 06:19 AM
thats funny..im actually considering the same thing.. im having a real creative block this year.. ive made a few different soundtracks already and am not 100% happy with any of them...and im getting very discouraged that i havent started scripting yet.. so i was thinking because i wasn't fully happy with how my 2018 show went off.. giving it a reshoot... Also i used courtesy of the RWB 2 years in a row.. and after this years show i said to someone " i didnt want to use the same song 2 years in a row but i really love that song...and they replied "You did???..i didnt even notice"...LOL