PDA

View Full Version : Excals: Are they really that good anymore?

BigMO
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
For many years Excals have been the benchmark for reloadables. We know see that they have many rewarps of the same shell. I believe that there are several newer shells on the market that are now much better. For example: KOD, Future Tech, Area 51, Destroyer, and yes even Smoke n Mirrors have to been in the mix. Excals have gotten so expensive, i believe you are paying for the name! Whats your thoughts?

StormY
02-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Excals were usually good. I just got a case last year, because of people saying that they weren't as good. And, they really weren't. I mean, they still had good color, those stars just didn't have any hang time at all, it was like "Pop" and that's it. It's just not as good as usual. I don't know about this year yet. I'll probably still end of getting a case though.

BigMO
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Stormy,

What about Black Mamba's? I bought a case this year to try them out? When you look at them on the internet they look OK, but all you here is that they are incredible.

St1dinoh
02-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Stormy,

What about Black Mamba's? I bought a case this year to try them out? When you look at them on the internet they look OK, but all you here is that they are incredible.

mambas are cool because they do have unique effects in them (lemon stars, two different types of scrambling comets, fish, leaves) but they do not break as big or as full as Kiss of Death shells.

if you have to pick one pick KOD's and you'll be glad you did.

PKMF
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Last year I heard a lot of buzz about Exterminator shells and how they were better than any other shell out there mainly Excals. I bought them both and shot them side by side and saw no difference both great shells. I think a lot of the buzz about what is the best shell has to do with newness. It seems to me like any time new shell comes out the claims that they are the best start. I say buy what ever top canister shell you have access to. They all have to meet the same guidelines and are all legit. I like everyone else get sucked in to all the hype and buy the supposed BEST shell but I also think that you think they are the best because they are the last ones you shot and that what you remember most. I do get excited to shoot the new shells not because they are the BEST but because I like to try them for myself before I judge. Looking forward to trying to get my hands on KOD shells since I haven't had the pleasure of shooting them yet.

BigMO
02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Well stated!

GozerChris
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
They are still good

NormanNormal
02-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I used excals and pro shells last year in my NYE show and they were both excellent.

ThunderKing
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
The consensus seems to be good but not the "best". they are still mentioned alot because most are familiar with them and they were "the shell" at one point. Can still be worth buying depending on price, what is in stock, how you plan to use them.

Palermitano2
02-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Excals in my opinion are the staple in which all cannisters are compared. I buy them wholesale and they are under 200 per case 6 units. 142 shells. Smoke n mirrors are good as well but Excals are still my favorite...

californiapyro
02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
just went to WPA winterblast, excals were $20 a pack. at that price they beat anything on the market.

PKMF
02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Excals in my opinion are the staple in which all cannisters are compared. I buy them wholesale and they are under 200 per case 6 units. 142 shells. Smoke n mirrors are good as well but Excals are still my favorite...

6 x 24 = 144 :D

BigMO
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
6 x 24 = 144 :D

I was wondering about that math as well!

StormY
02-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe he was just missing a couple shells? :p

Palermitano2
02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
lmao oops!

J's12talk
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Remember variety is the spice of life.

fireworkfan503
03-01-2011, 02:58 AM
I had Excals for NYE Don't know if they were the newest ones but,they were as good as ever IMO

Pyro Nation
03-01-2011, 03:02 AM
I have not tried KOD shells yet, but i have always used Excal's buying them wholesale that is. No complaints from me or other's watching. Now that I have my 1.3 license ummm the Excal's might not be able to compete with some of those shells..lol