PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Fireworks in for Profit Display

cciesliga
10-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Hello all,

I've looked through the forums briefly and didn't find the answer that I am looking for.

Here is the situation:
- We are planning to put on a short New Year's fireworks display (~1 minute)
- Display will consist entirely of 1.4G product (cakes, shells, comets & mines)

We have done an annual display for the 4th and I thought I had covered all of my bases and was not required to obtain a state permit as we weren't firing anything larger than consumer grade. However, the AHJ for the New Year display is stating that we need to have a TN state permit to put on the display. The Exhibitor permit cost for TN is $1000. Before I proceed, I'm trying to see if I can determine if this is legally required for the Class C Consumer products being used in the display.

TN 68-104 part 2 deals with Licensing and Certification program and specifically states it is not this parts purpose to regulate DOT Class C (68-104-201)
TN 68-104 part 1 outlines the general provisions and lists Exhibitor as requiring a $1000 permit fee. No definition is provided for "Exhibitor"
The application lists Exhibitor as a business licensed by the state to perform displays, but code (68-104-201) says licensure doesn't apply to Class C.

Anyway, don't know if anyone has any experience with this, specifically in TN. I am also in the process of contacting the State Fire Marshall office to confirm the requirements.

Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide.
chris.

cciesliga
10-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Heard back from the State Fire Marshall office and it was as I originally thought. Class C product is exempt from licensure and permitting requirements of the state of TN.

Mattp
10-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Glad you worked that out.. would’ve been an expensive “oops”.lol. my question is if you don’t need a permit at all.. why even get the AHJ involved ???

displayfireworks1
10-17-2019, 06:45 PM
No matter where you live in United States and decide to call the local authorities to ask for permission , you always risk the answer No or they will tell you something that may not necessarily be true to your situation. Don't assume the most knowledgeable person is assigned to answer the phone at any government office. The safe answer for these people is No to most questions during the day. For a one minute display in Tennessee using all 1.4 products at midnight for your own personal enjoyment. Do you really need official permission? Are you doing this as a for profit endeavor i.e selling a fireworks display to someone?

zalytn
10-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Where at in TN do you live? There is a group of us in Middle TN that collaborate and socialize.

Rick_In_Tampa
10-20-2019, 04:23 PM
I see you have an answer for this event. I would suggest you search for and join a local pyro club near you. Even if you can't join them for whatever reason, they should be able to answer any questions you might have regarding state shooting requirements.

As Dave indicated, the LAST people I would call would be anyone in the AHJ food chain.

PyroManiacs
10-22-2019, 01:54 PM
Philadelphia still requires a permit for 1.4G even though its legal in PA all year round, which still also requires insurance. Does anyone think the citizens of Philly are going through all that? Nope.