PDA

View Full Version : Consumer quickmatch/1.3 match/grey fast fuse

Amaturepyro
10-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Could be a consumer topic and also 1.3 category I guess...again, I?m still an amateurs bear mind.....I?ve always used the grey quick fuse for all my shells. Tried that Pyro creation ?quickmatch? kit too. Is there an actual quickmatch available for consumers?? I have also seen a couple reviews on this perchlorate quickmatch that in some videos says it?s a 1.4 product...just curios on this topic?
Thanks
Also too other review have stated that it is a dangerous match due to violent nature when lit...

displayfireworks1
10-10-2019, 08:27 PM
This is where going to pyro events comes in handy. You can usually find someone selling it . Or if you search on the internet I'm sure you will find someone willing to sell it and ship. There is no such thing as consumer quick match and/or consumer salutes. But both are for sale. If you are new amateur that may not initially make sense, once you will have been around for a while you will start to understand it.

PyroJoeNEPA
10-11-2019, 06:29 PM
I have also seen a couple reviews on this perchlorate quickmatch that in some videos says it?s a 1.4 product.
QUickmatch is listed as a 1.4g [UN 0336] item [see the FireArt price list]. However, there would be hazmat charges on shipping if you wanted to order it so it would be pricey.
There is a LOT of controversy concerning Quick Match: The perchlorate [grey coated strings] is VERY violent and is NOT good for chaining shells and cakes together--the black coated string [black match] is much better for this and works very well. The perc QM is so fast that it can tear itself apart. We have gotten1.3g delay chains in that had the grey perc quick match and have had several instances where the chains blew apart at the buckets leaving shells in the guns.
As far as the 1.4 "legal" issue---I have a good pyro friend now in federal prison doing a 4 1/2 year sentence for selling UN 0336 quick match---the "charges" said it was "explosive fuses"---duh!!! But that is another story of the system railroading someone.There is a LOT to that story [for those that are aware of what & whom I am talking about] than has NOT been made public.
You can use 2 or 3 strands of the grey fast fuse in the paper sleeving [and can easily make your own paper sleeves] and it will work <almost> as good as the commercial quick match for making chains for shells and cakes.
I hope this helps answer your questions.

displayfireworks1
10-11-2019, 07:00 PM
I suspect that gray consumer fast fuse is most likely the same stuff as the perchlorate quick match. If I have time coming up I may run the methylene blue test on the consumer stuff. I would guarantee it will turn positive for potassium perchlorate. I received some information from a China source at the NFA. The claim all fireworks manufactures now have to buy fuse from an approved "Fuse Association". Before they would make they would make their own. Some USA distributors I believe are cutting into the final chains and adding timed fuse in the leader as it drops to each shell in an effort to slow it down.

tmwjr
10-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Here is a video of green visco going to three strands of grey quick fuse wrapped in foil tape. The quick fuse is about 12 inches. It's at night so you really can't see the setup but you can see the burn pretty well. It's fast and effectively lights finale racks of consumer shells.

https://youtu.be/ZiC0QlsL7A8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiC0QlsL7A8&amp;feature=youtu.be

cptnding
10-11-2019, 08:55 PM
As far as the 1.4 "legal" issue---I have a good pyro friend now in federal prison doing a 4 1/2 year sentence for selling UN 0336 quick match---the "charges" said it was "explosive fuses"---duh!!! But that is another story of the system railroading someone.There is a LOT to that story [for those that are aware of what & whom I am talking about] than has NOT been made public.

I used to buy a lot of supplies from him. All around great guy. To me "railroading" is putting it lightly.

esgrillo
10-11-2019, 09:42 PM
I have used a lot of the grey paper 0.4sec/ft fuse over the years. I noticed last year that 2 separate suppliers are now selling the super fast fuse that is more like a cannon style and does not have the grey paper wrapper. It does burn damn fast but I am not 100% sold on it yet. I had a least one issue with the timing on some effects that used this fuse. I suspect it may have been more difficult to light from some green cannon fuse that was timing a delay.

You can see with the attached pics the difference. Top is new bottom is old in both pics

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4532&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4533&stc=1

If anyone still has a source for the regular grey paper fast fuse I would like to know it.

Amaturepyro
10-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Hello Dave
Yeah exactly. Going to events is something that I really would like to start doing
I?m in the new England area (CT) and not to sure of events like that in my area
But I?m always willing to travel to experience new possibilities and educate myself more
Thanks
I am also aware of the consumer salutes as well. The greys/reds/clowns/...etc...and aware of that ?grey? area with them but wasn?t sure about the quickmatch. Your video on consumer salutes hits the nail right in the head with that topic👍

Amaturepyro
10-17-2019, 06:46 PM
If I were to wrap the 3strands of grey fuse in the piping as you were stating, are consumers able to buy
Just the waterproof wrap/piping that the original quickmatch comes in? Would that work just as good?? Saw another video on that too I think. Was a while ago

displayfireworks1
10-17-2019, 07:07 PM
There are people selling only the pipping. What are going to do spend $30.00 for pipping and shipping to experiment. Get some craft paper or newspaper and tape it. Experiment that way first to test it out .

Rick_In_Tampa
10-20-2019, 04:32 PM
You said you use the gray fast-fuse right now for your shells, but you're looking to see if you can get your hands on quickmatch. (paraphrasing of course) I'm wondering why? I use the gray fast-fuse for all my shells too, and I sent 300 up this past July 4th in 7 seconds. Honestly, in hindsight, that was too fast. So I'm just curious as to what it is you're trying to accomplish. Maybe there's a better, cheaper way to get there.