PDA

View Full Version : 1000 candles

westcoastpyro
11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
So my order is in for a small consumer show I'm going to do in January. I have this idea about doing 1000 candles at once and know that they are on the way I need some advice on the best way to fuse it all together. Any ideas? I will be mixing in 13 500g and 40 200g cakes also.

blown2bits
11-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Buckets? I know I might get chewed out by some but buckets are the easiest way in my opinion., I dont but many candles, I can get a better effect with a case or two of color pearls for much cheaper,they are easier to fuse, and still give that wow factor when you light them. But since you already got the candles, pick up 5 gallon buckets and stuff them, Dave has a video where he lit 2 cases by putting loose powder on top of the candles so there was plenty of fire. Hope this helps.

indianahx
11-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Maybe fill the buckets with sand like you would mortars. Just make sure they are stabalized. Or build a ridiculous candle rack. Make sure to video. Good luck

Palermitano2
11-12-2011, 08:33 PM
1000 candles...i would build a box to house them made out of wood.then get as much fire as you can in there....

PyroMonkey
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
This may not be the easiest way to do a candle barrage... but it sure looks nice. Built this set of three racks to hold one case of Pyro Paint Balls, but the concept could certainly be scaled to hold 1000 candles, either in a single rack, or in multiples. They look particularly good if they're spaced about 50' apart.

They're fused by spraying adhesive on the fuses, sprinkling with fuse powder (or any BP), wrapping with aluminum foil, and running quickmatch (or fast visco) between the sections. I branched off the QM with slow visco to ensure fire propogation, but this is probably not necessary.

Yeah, it's a lot of work... but we effectively got three 490-shot cakes for less than a hundred bucks worth of candles and lumber.

The angles are -45, -22.5, 0, 22.5, and 45 (for this of us who are OCD about this sort of thing).

http://www.laydenproductions.com/random/IMG_7008s.jpg

Pyro Nation
11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Pretty sweet.... bet that took some time to fuse

UniversalPyro
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
you got a video for that? That looks really good, would like to see it fire....

westcoastpyro
11-14-2011, 09:26 AM
This may not be the easiest way to do a candle barrage... but it sure looks nice. Built this set of three racks to hold one case of Pyro Paint Balls, but the concept could certainly be scaled to hold 1000 candles, either in a single rack, or in multiples. They look particularly good if they're spaced about 50' apart.

They're fused by spraying adhesive on the fuses, sprinkling with fuse powder (or any BP), wrapping with aluminum foil, and running quickmatch (or fast visco) between the sections. I branched off the QM with slow visco to ensure fire propogation, but this is probably not necessary.

Yeah, it's a lot of work... but we effectively got three 490-shot cakes for less than a hundred bucks worth of candles and lumber.

The angles are -45, -22.5, 0, 22.5, and 45 (for this of us who are OCD about this sort of thing).

That looks great I think I will try and copy it. Do you have video?

PyroMonkey
11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm afraid I don't have video of it, sorry. :-( All of the candles light within a few seconds of each other when they're fused this way, so it's pretty intense for about 20 seconds, or however long the candles last. I'd like to try this again next year with a different type of candle, maybe with breaking effects. Salute candles would be cool...

westcoastpyro
11-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I plan on having about ten kinds of candles with multiple effects. I will be building racks like Pyro Monkey has, spread across 50-75' four racks swap. With some 200g cakes just behind the candles and some 500g stuff going off just behind the 200s. Looking to get a nice layer effect. It's going to he lots of work but should be a great outcome

pyromustang
11-15-2011, 05:43 AM
I plan on having about ten kinds of candles with multiple effects. I will be building racks like Pyro Monkey has, spread across 50-75' four racks swap. With some 200g cakes just behind the candles and some 500g stuff going off just behind the 200s. Looking to get a nice layer effect. It's going to he lots of work but should be a great outcome That is the way i setup my racks.

pyromustang
11-15-2011, 05:47 AM

your rack look great.love to see a video of them in action.

Palermitano2
11-15-2011, 06:51 PM

I bought some cull today to try and duplicate this design....Great Job!

westcoastpyro
11-16-2011, 12:54 AM
pyroMonkey,
Can you post the measurements for your racks?

Palermitano2
11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
pyroMonkey,
Can you post the measurements for your racks?
+1.............

PyroJoeNEPA
11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Great looking candle racks PyroMonkey! Getting back to the OP---I use heavy 4"ID cardboard tubes scrounged from pallet shrink wrap. Glue them onto an OSB base, drop in 30 candles--lets you use different size & types of candles without putting all your candles in a 5 gal bucket. Originally I did the spray adhesive & BP coating on the top of the candles, but this last year I took pieces of clear packing tape, dipped it in the BP & stuck it over the tops of the candles once they were in the tubes...like a poor man's sticky match"...they are about 2"-3" below the top of the tube-- It worked great. I put a couple of pieces of Dave's Magic Tape over the top of the tube with the ematch [you can use fuse instead] sticking out a small hole in the side at the top. 100% ignition on all of them. I did have a few not light with the spray adhesive & BP method the last couple times I did it that way. These tubes can be angled with a stake or piece of rebar. I have one that I cut the bottoms of the tubes at an angle on my chop saw & glued them onto the OSB with PL adhesive--gives me a "V" pattern.

PyroMonkey
11-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Dimensions and assembly diagrams available via the following PDF files...

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/candle%20rack%20parts%20list.pdf
http://www.pyrobin.com/files/candle%20rack%20assembly.pdf