PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Shooting Wire.

Baker
08-22-2019, 08:18 PM
How do you folks splice shooting wire to the igniter wire? I?ve twisted them together in the past and had some wires to break. Wondering what some of y?all do.

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Alot of ppl use these really speeds up the process with no need to strip wires just stickem in and crimp i havent used them for this application but will b as my shows are growing in complexity i spent alotta time twisting tying and taping this yr the way dave does it in a cpl videos wish i remember witch 1 was very helpful i believe it was 1 the older extreme backyard fireworks.

I believe some1 said 3m was the best brand of these

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Alot of ppl use these really speeds up the process with no need to strip wires just stickem in and crimp i havent used them for this application but will b as my shows are growing in complexity i spent alotta time twisting tying and taping this yr the way dave does it in a cpl videos wish i remember witch 1 was very helpful i believe it was 1 the older extreme backyard fireworks.

I believe some1 said 3m was the best brand of these

Rick_In_Tampa
08-22-2019, 09:41 PM
I just peel back maybe 1/2" of wire covering on both sides and twist the wires together. Then I tape over them with U Haul packing tape. Never had any wires break. Unless you're using some really old and/or brittle scab wire, you shouldn't be having any breakage issues.

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 09:44 PM
4432 these are those things uy butsplice connectors

rfgonzo
08-22-2019, 11:42 PM
4432 these are those things uy butsplice connectors

This is what I use from 3M, However I only use them because I sell them for a living as a electrical distributor. They work great and you don't have to worry about wires touching but they still are time consuming to put on.

BMoore
08-23-2019, 07:53 AM
I just twist them maybe 5-6 times and put a piece of tape around 1 side to prevent them from touching and shorting out. The force needed to pull the twisted wires apart is greater than the force needed to pull the squib out of the piece or wires out of the firing system for the most part.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-23-2019, 09:36 AM
I have been using the UY connectors for years. When I had my sound system installation business [now retired] I used tens of thousands of them over the years. The Scotch are a very good quality and meant for lonngevity. For fireworks, it is a "one shot & throw it away" use--so I use the less expensive china imports. We have used several thousand over the last few years--all our one shots for our PGI shows in 2013 & 2016 had them...here is a link for the connectors on ebay as well as the pliers: on the pliers, when I bought mine 30 + years ago I paid over $30.00 for a pair. Now you can get them for $8.00 !!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-Air-Tight-Orange-Clear-Button-Cable-UY-Butt-Splice-Connectors/182523163829

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotchlok-Scotchlock-Scotch-Lock-UR-UG-UY-Connector-Crimping-Crimper-Plier-Tool/283528108550?epid=13020754943&hash=item4203979a06:g:8J0AAOSwOjhdX8GA

On the smaller #24 gauge scab wire it is not necessary to strip the wires. If you have the larger #20ga you need to strip the scab wire--but not the ematch wire.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Okay... So you just place 2 wires in each side and crimp it down? It's that simple? Damn. Might have to give that a shot.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-23-2019, 11:15 PM
Just ordered 200 and the crimper tool. Another $10 well spent! lol...

PyroJoeNEPA
08-24-2019, 09:41 AM
Okay... So you just place 2 wires in each side and crimp it down? It's that simple? Damn. Might have to give that a shot.

Yes, it is that easy. No need to strip the wires. These were designed for the telephone industry YEARS ago------they have a gel in them that is a waterproofing/anti corroding agent--not necessary for a "one and done" pyro application, but was necessary for the phone cable repairing application.
Note: give a tug on the wires after you crimp it to make sure they are seated.

Mattp
08-24-2019, 07:07 PM
After twisting the wires together/taping the ends.. I then take the connection and tie a knot in it.. also tape the initiator wire to the side of the cake

cptnding
08-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Just ordered 200 and the crimper tool. Another $10 well spent! lol...

Rick,
You will like those. I've been using them for a couple years and they are very quick once you get used to them. Much faster than stripping and twisting. Series wiring is where they really save time for me.
There is an auto feed crimp tool that holds the connectors in a cartridge that works even better. It's very expensive new at $200+ but you can find them used on ebay for about $20. The tool is pretty big but I mostly use it during prep anyway. You would need to get some of the connectors in the cartridges for it but the cartridges are quick and easy to refill with cheap chinese connectors after you empty them. The cartridges are on ebay cheap as well.
Search "3M E-9C" on ebay and you'll see both.