PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know much about Super Magnum ball shells? Tail? No tail?

upNdown
08-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Do these things really have tails?
For a mini show this weekend, I bought a box of these Super Magnum Ball Shells from world class - retail $23 for 12 shells - seems like a good deal for retail.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=super+magnum+artillery+shells
Anyway, my question is, do these things have tails? I've seen youtube videos of different versions of this product. Some of them have "Super Magnum w/tail" printed on the box. Some of them, like mine, just say Super Magnum. And what's even funnier is I've seen a video where the pictured box says w/tail, but the product in the video doesn't have a tail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWRlqAZqTc
And there are also videos for Super Magnum mini canister shells. Did those replace the ball shells? Did I buy leftovers, or are both ball and cannister versions still being produced?
Lots of questions.
I hope mine have tails.
Maybe I'll test shoot one tonight.

PyroKing31
08-22-2019, 12:32 PM
My retailer told me that they all have tails regardless of packaging, could have been lies.

While I can't answer that question I have shot a lot of these and they are a decent ball shell, however the tail is relatively weak. For a better tail the Power Load artillery shells sold at WFboom.com have much better brighter almost comet like tails.

jknepp1954
08-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Yes they do have tails - we have sold them for years. If you got ball shells - count yourself lucky as they are old stock. Now they make the mini cans in this. I don't like them - they are weaker IMO.

PyroGyro
08-22-2019, 02:59 PM
Do these things really have tails?
For a mini show this weekend, I bought a box of these Super Magnum Ball Shells from world class - retail $23 for 12 shells - seems like a good deal for retail.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=super+magnum+artillery+shells
Anyway, my question is, do these things have tails? I've seen youtube videos of different versions of this product. Some of them have "Super Magnum w/tail" printed on the box. Some of them, like mine, just say Super Magnum. And what's even funnier is I've seen a video where the pictured box says w/tail, but the product in the video doesn't have a tail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWRlqAZqTc
And there are also videos for Super Magnum mini canister shells. Did those replace the ball shells? Did I buy leftovers, or are both ball and cannister versions still being produced?
Lots of questions.
I hope mine have tails.
Maybe I'll test shoot one tonight.

LOL I went through this same exact process because I was looking for decent shell that had tails. Like you, I couldn't figure out what was up with these shells so I decided not to take a chance on the Super Magnums because I couldn't tell if they had tails anymore, and I thought I saw a different video than the one you linked to that also showed the tails were either weak or nonexistent. I was also buying a case so yeah I wasn't taking chances. Instead I went with Magnus Appballs.

tmwjr
08-22-2019, 06:44 PM
How'd you like the appballs?

topshelfpyro
08-22-2019, 07:30 PM
They have 2 styles, with and without tails. They did not make it in from China in time for the 4th this year but I have shot them with the tails and they are pretty good. They were made in a small can style for a year or two but they are now back to the regular balls.

PyroManiacs
08-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Do yourself a favor and get Alien Eggs by Planet X.

While helping out at the store where Planet X is a house brand, Intergalactic Fireworks...We shot 2 shells in the parking lot the weekend before the 4th...the second shell was only because we wanted to make sure it WAS that good, as it was the first time we were seeing the performance in person.

tmwjr
08-22-2019, 10:13 PM
I saw those and was curious. I don't think there's a wholesaler near me. I'm near Pittsburgh. I have a half case of depth alone left, which are eggs. I thought they were good but nothing spectacular. I figured they were about the same. I'll keep an eye out

upNdown
08-26-2019, 01:38 PM
I can’t comment on the tails, because we didn’t get to shoot yesterday because it was too windy. That’s a first for me. Bummer.
I’ll try to update with some footage, hopefully sometime soon.

beaver nation
08-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Yes they do have tails - we have sold them for years. If you got ball shells - count yourself lucky as they are old stock. Now they make the mini cans in this. I don't like them - they are weaker IMO.

they are back to ball shells Joyce and discontinued the cannister version. Just FYI

PyroGyro
08-28-2019, 08:59 AM

I haven't shot them yet, I have a show coming up next week so I'll try to report back.

upNdown
09-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Finally shot some of these last night. It was a short show with a couple of fusing problems but we kinda saw that coming (fusing was a rush job on a rainy night that ended up taking some strange twists.) But anyway, this video is cued up to the final crate witch is mostly HD shells with a few of these Super Magnums mixed in. You can pick them out by their tails, which are pretty good. Obviously the breaks don't hold up to the cans, but overall they look good and the tail is nicer than I expected.
https://youtu.be/jbrdZHTPWwo?t=205
By the way, that finale crate was fused with just knots, and the timing worked out pretty well.