PDA

View Full Version : i have a question:

Icooclast
08-21-2019, 12:57 PM
hey guys. i have a question: i often see people online (especially with excaliber) say "this year >name here< was better" or that year they became watered down or even "this year they added the 2nd lift charge" my question: is there any way to tell what year any firework or shell kit was made? if so, how? oh, and why is it that some excaliber shells have jumbo effects and some don't? (figured i'd ask while we were at it)

thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Big Worm
08-21-2019, 01:30 PM
I don't shoot excals, but you can tell the year manufactured on the cases. If your not familiar with these numbers Dave has a video on it.

Big Worm
08-21-2019, 01:35 PM
http://youtu.be/fv92WQs3bqA
Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv92WQs3bqA&amp;feature=youtu.be

Icooclast
08-21-2019, 02:46 PM
thanks a lot guys. if anyone know the answer about the jumbo excal shells, please let me know.

jamisonlm3
08-22-2019, 04:52 AM
Are these newer excals that you have?. If so, I wouldn't pay any attention to the labels on excals. They're utterly meaningless.

DavidthePyro
08-22-2019, 06:33 AM
I've seen some overloaded Excals/Excals with flash. Not sure how that happens. Never had any myself that are like that. I always try to have a minimum of 4 types of canister shells. Even though effects are generally similar, year to year manufacturing and the human element to production usually results in variation of quality. I personally don't believe excals are what they were back in the day, but at the same time, they are pretty reliable when it comes to lift. Canister shells are another level of safety concern for me whenever I shoot-- never know how high they'll go. I had two this year that flowerpotted and I suspect it was from the other shells going up around them.

BMoore
08-22-2019, 08:02 AM
In regards to the "Jumbo" shells, I seem to recall that back when Excals where all the rage the word on the street was that the jumbo stars required longer drying time and thus the factory could not make them during the rainy season in China. So if you were lucky enough to get a box packed in the dry season you would get the Jumbo shells. I honestly never could tell the difference and today I think the labels are pretty much meaningless.

I am curious about the double lift charge Excals. Seems like a few people reported getting some in 2018 but never heard how they performed and I heard no reports of them in 2019. Is the double lift really becoming a thing or was that just an experiment? Seems like everyone has embraced the plastic top caps as a means of preventing upside down loading.

MtnViewPyro
08-22-2019, 09:29 PM
I got some double lift excals last year. Seemed to perform like regular excals, mislabeled and all lol.