PDA

View Full Version : PGI Convention Recap

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Just got back from the PGI convention in Gillette, Wyoming last night. What a trip. I wasn't able to do any posting while there. We were just too busy and too tired. Our day started at 7am and we usually didn't get back to the room until 1:30-2am. The grand public display was all Dominator products and it was spectacular! I have it on video and I'll post it soon. We only had one show partially rained/hailed out (Grucci didn't shoot) but everyone else shot. One lucky family is getting a new house compliments of PGI because we put a 12lb rocket through their roof and into their kitchen during opening ceremonies night last Saturday. From what I was told it not only "remodeled" their kitchen, it took out all of the "support structure" holding up the rest of the house. The only other casualty was a barn on the site (Cam Plex). I believe it was a 10" shell. The shell had concentric rings of salutes and a bottom shot. The bottom shot went through the roof and exploded. The roof and walls went flying. It was actually caught on video and was damned impressive!! I'll post a link probably tomorrow.

On the vendor side we only had 1 vendor get tossed out. They were caught forging badges with fake names so non-members could get into the event and buy fireworks. This vendor had help from another vendor who was selling merchandise in the trade show area. The cops said what they did was a felony and they could be facing serious time. The PGI president said he'd give them the option of leaving their stuff there and getting off the premises ASAP (and being banished in the future), or we could press charges and throw them in jail. Of course, they decided to high tail it out of Gillette. The rest of the vendors were selling overloaded EVERYTHING and stuff that was just blatantly 1.3G wrapped as 1.4G. The PGI leadership agreed to allow members to shoot 1.4 Pro items on the C line because we had a huge sand pile that separated the site. So we had family friendly stuff on the right side, and everything else on the left side. I asked a vendor... Just between you and me... Is all this stuff hot? He didn't say a word, he just nodded in the affirmative. We had one vendor selling a cake that was 100 shots of 2" salutes, wrapped as a 500G 1.4G cake. Just absurd. But, the PGI leadership allowed it.

The only really unfortunate thing to report is we lost a long time member at the event. He was also a member of the Safety Team that I'm on. He also won an award the day before for a rocket he made. Apparently he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm while sitting with his wife and kids watching one of the shows. The good news I guess is that he died quickly while surrounded by his family and friends while doing what he loved. I hope I'm as lucky when my time comes.

Before the convention started the gentleman that has been the announcer for the "All Stars" shows passed away. I'm told he has been doing that job for 40 years. He was infected with a flesh eating bacteria and waited too long to get it treated. The sepsis infection was too much to overcome. Additionally, another member, a young lady with 7 month old twins, who was fighting cancer for years, finally and unfortunately lost her battle. There is a go fund me page set up to help her family care for and raise the children (there's another child who I believe is 3). I'll post that info tomorrow as well if anyone is interested in contributing. I will be.

Next year we're back in Fargo from 8-15 August. For 2021 they're looking at Oshkosh, Wi, La Port, In, or someplace else I can't remember at the moment. Been a long week folks, sorry. I'll get the info posted soon.

PyroGyro
08-18-2019, 06:22 PM
I saw a video from the merch tent and there were some amazing deals there. $30 for a pack of excals. I wish they held them closer to the East Coast I'd rent a van and just go for the merch! I heard the 36" shell was underwhelming...because it was launched from so far away?

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 07:17 PM
The vendors pricing was awesome this year! Some were even giving away products on Thursday because they didn't want to take it back with them. We needed 2 dump trucks on Friday morning to haul away all the cake carcasses from the night before. There were 4 vendor demos that went from 8pm to 1am. We even had a Safety guy come over from the B line to see if we were having a class C competition because there was so much (juiced) stuff going up.

As for the 36" shell... Yeah. It was underwhelming because it was shot from almost a mile away. That was to be expected.

For those who are curious... According to the guy that built it, the shell was 360lbs, used 35lbs of lift powder, contained 15 - 5" shells, and had a 2" thick wrapping. The gun used to shoot it was buried 14' in the ground.

PyroGyro
08-18-2019, 07:41 PM
So Rick, as a PGI member and when attending the event, could you have bought enough product to setup and script your own 20 minute show and then shoot it? Or do they restrict what you can do at night because of all the planned event going on?

PyroGyro
08-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Btw, is there a video of that thing launching? Meaning do they have a close up video of the shell going up right from the mortar?

jayf
08-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Hoping for Oshkosh, WI for 2021.....just a drive across the state for me.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Yes and no. You could have purchased enough product to put on an 8 hour show!! But there's no mechanism in place that would allow you to do it. The only caveat to that would be if you wanted to enter the Class C show competition. But if you're good enough to buy, script, and set up your entire show in a day or two, then you'd probably be bored with what we do. lol...

PGI is there so you can learn and enjoy the various forms of the pyro art. Some of the class B shells that these folks make are simply mind-numbingly beautiful. One lady made a shell this year that (I believe) she called "gum-balls" and it actually looked like a gumball machine! It was amazing. At the banquet a young kid, maybe 13 years old, won 7 different trophies for rockets! It's insane. We even had a lady there teaching a class on how to build flame throwers!

We had a family from Hawaii, a kid from Russia, a couple from New Zealand, and a man from Nigeria. The Hawaiians were shooting overloaded "class C" stuff by the caseload all night, every night. The Russian was making 10 and 12" shells. The lady from New Zealand won 1st place in the girandola contest (she never made one before in her life!). Me, I was literally putting out fires, arguing with grown ass adults who are holding roman candles in their hands while they're going off around kids, and facing off against fools that came into the C area with cakes in 1 hand and a beer in the other. I also helped the "Fire Ant" team from Texas build the opening mascleta. I gave a local radio personality a tour and interview on what we do. etc. and so on. You can do as much or as little as you want.

As for the 36" shell... I have a video of the shell going up, but not from the gun itself. If that vantage point was taped, I'm not aware of it. Sorry.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Hoping for Oshkosh, WI for 2021.....just a drive across the state for me.

I would absolutely love to go to Oshkosh!! I used to send C-5's to their annual airshow. I got 6 cases of beer from the sponsors one year!! It was great. lol... I'd actually like to see the airshow and then do PGI right afterwards. That would be cool for me. :cool:

jamisonlm3
08-18-2019, 10:23 PM
We had one vendor selling a cake that was 100 shots of 2" salutes, wrapped as a 500G 1.4G cake. Just absurd. But, the PGI leadership allowed it.You haven't seen those nice 100 shot 500g cakes with two fuses on top? I can only imagine the stuff you saw there.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 10:29 PM
You haven't seen those nice 100 shot 500g cakes with two fuses on top? I can only imagine the stuff you saw there.

It was a wild week, that's for sure.

PyroGyro
08-19-2019, 06:40 AM
I would absolutely love to go to Oshkosh!! I used to send C-5's to their annual airshow. I got 6 cases of beer from the sponsors one year!! It was great. lol... I'd actually like to see the airshow and then do PGI right afterwards. That would be cool for me. :cool:

Air shows are awesome, I've been to a several and most notably the Chicago Air Show a few years back. Watched it from the rooftop of a hotel right on Lake Michigan...unforgettable experience having F16's whiz by just a few hundred feet above your head...those engines are all muscle and LOUD AS HELL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eabyda-v9Ww

flashfuse
08-19-2019, 05:57 PM
PGI was awesome and well worth the 28hr drive....Fargo ND cant come fast enough !!

PyroGyro
08-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Did you guys see this display live? This is by far the most amazingly beautiful, and most well timed show I've ever seen. The fireworks used were perfect for the music, and every hit, and there were many, was in perfect sync with the music. This was better than some of the pro shows I watched from PGI. https://youtu.be/RfXNE_Yzdb8

Rick_In_Tampa
08-19-2019, 08:46 PM
PGI was awesome and well worth the 28hr drive....Fargo ND cant come fast enough !!

Amen brother!! Amen.

RalphieJ
08-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Good luck to PGI in obtaining insurance for next years event.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Did you guys see this display live? This is by far the most amazingly beautiful, and most well timed show I've ever seen. The fireworks used were perfect for the music, and every hit, and there were many, was in perfect sync with the music. This was better than some of the pro shows I watched from PGI. https://youtu.be/RfXNE_Yzdb8

I was front row center for all the displays! And yes... This was an amazing display. My one beef with PGI is that they don't do a good enough job at educating the public in attendance about what we do. At the end of these shows they make some off-hand comment about how you can do shows like this for $150 too! Or some such nonsense like that. What they SHOULD be saying is that everything you just saw can be purchased by the general public. So if YOU would like to put on a display like this one day, join the PGI to learn more about how to do what you just witnessed. SOMETHING. ANYTHING to let the public know that you don't need $1M and a team of professionals to be a backyard pyro.

I was asked to give a reporter for WNPR a tour and an interview one day last week. I drove her all over the grounds showing her the various areas for shooting Class C, ground salutes, Class B, rockets, the large guns for the public shows, the infield display setups, etc. We talked about the JPA, the seminars to learn how to build shells, rockets, salutes, girandolas, etc. Her eyes were spinning by time I got her back to her car. But I think she got my point that we're not just there to provide a fireworks show.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-19-2019, 09:05 PM
Good luck to PGI in obtaining insurance for next years event.

Somehow I don't think that's going to be a problem. I'm pretty sure the house and the barn were not the first things to get blown up at a PGI event. lol... I'm just glad no one got hurt.

PyroManiacs
08-20-2019, 03:05 AM
Damn, this makes me more mad that I didnt go when it was here in Pa.

PyroGyro
08-20-2019, 07:05 AM
I was front row center for all the displays! And yes... This was an amazing display. My one beef with PGI is that they don't do a good enough job at educating the public in attendance about what we do. At the end of these shows they make some off-hand comment about how you can do shows like this for $150 too! Or some such nonsense like that. What they SHOULD be saying is that everything you just saw can be purchased by the general public. So if YOU would like to put on a display like this one day, join the PGI to learn more about how to do what you just witnessed. SOMETHING. ANYTHING to let the public know that you don't need $1M and a team of professionals to be a backyard pyro.

I was asked to give a reporter for WNPR a tour and an interview one day last week. I drove her all over the grounds showing her the various areas for shooting Class C, ground salutes, Class B, rockets, the large guns for the public shows, the infield display setups, etc. We talked about the JPA, the seminars to learn how to build shells, rockets, salutes, girandolas, etc. Her eyes were spinning by time I got her back to her car. But I think she got my point that we're not just there to provide a fireworks show.

$150 LOL. That display probably cost him $5k in product, even at rock bottom prices. You sound like a great ambassador for the industry and PGI Rick, they definitely could be doing a better job at helping grow the hobby. Speaking of that, my local club is super incognito, so much so that you'd hardly know they exist, even in pyro circles. They don't post on social media, and they're almost non existent on youtube. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I have heard that they're mostly a bunch of old guys that don't do social media. It's too bad because from what I hear they have a bunch of members who are Fireworks store owners, display operators, and builders. They could be doing so much more to grow their club. Anyway, I'm going to my first club shoot with them in Sept, should be awesome, doing my first Efired show from there. Can't wait.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Damn, this makes me more mad that I didnt go when it was here in Pa.

Was it Reading? I believe that's the third one I couldn't remember that's on the short list for 2021.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-20-2019, 03:55 PM
$150 LOL. That display probably cost him $5k in product, even at rock bottom prices. You sound like a great ambassador for the industry and PGI Rick, they definitely could be doing a better job at helping grow the hobby. Speaking of that, my local club is super incognito, so much so that you'd hardly know they exist, even in pyro circles. They don't post on social media, and they're almost non existent on youtube. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I have heard that they're mostly a bunch of old guys that don't do social media. It's too bad because from what I hear they have a bunch of members who are Fireworks store owners, display operators, and builders. They could be doing so much more to grow their club. Anyway, I'm going to my first club shoot with them in Sept, should be awesome, doing my first Efired show from there. Can't wait.

I spent $4K on my show this year. This guys show was 3-4 times what I put up. From what I understand most (if not all) of the product he used was donated. But yes... When the announcer says "You can learn how to do the same thing for $150", I *hope* he means for the fee to join PGI (which is only $100) and not for 1.4G product.

PGI is definitely run by the good ole boy network of pyros. These guys can build shells and rockets that will make your eyes water. But they don't know squat about technologies that can grow the guild or help retain current members. Every year we beat that drum and every year we get the deer in the headlight looks. The guy I go there with works for Microsoft. He even volunteered to help build a solution that will eliminate the need for paper applications to join and/or re-up your membership. Nope. They didn't want to hear it. <sigh> As Clint Eastwood once said in (I believe) Sudden Impact, "A man's got to know his limitations." These guys don't.

PyroKing31
08-20-2019, 05:53 PM
I spent $4K on my show this year. This guys show was 3-4 times what I put up. From what I understand most (if not all) of the product he used was donated. But yes... When the announcer says "You can learn how to do the same thing for $150", I *hope* he means for the fee to join PGI (which is only $100) and not for 1.4G product.

PGI is definitely run by the good ole boy network of pyros. These guys can build shells and rockets that will make your eyes water. But they don't know squat about technologies that can grow the guild or help retain current members. Every year we beat that drum and every year we get the deer in the headlight looks. The guy I go there with works for Microsoft. He even volunteered to help build a solution that will eliminate the need for paper applications to join and/or re-up your membership. Nope. They didn't want to hear it. <sigh> As Clint Eastwood once said in (I believe) Sudden Impact, "A man's got to know his limitations." These guys don't.

"You're a dinosaur Callahan!"

PyroManiacs
08-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Was it Reading? I believe that's the third one I couldn't remember that's on the short list for 2021.

It was in Butler County at Coopers Lake where they use to hold Pyrotecnico's PyroFest, It was about a 6 hour drive for me. If they are looking to do it in Reading though...that is basically a neighboring city to Philly. I would be ecstatic!

PyroJoeNEPA
08-21-2019, 11:31 AM

2013 was in Butler PA--we [Bixler Pyro] did a show there. The problem with the site [among other things] is that they have a long standing Renaissance Fair type event that is held the same week as the PGI & neither of the two parties wanted to discuss a different time frame. The grounds layout -in general- is nice, but the main display grounds is a sloped hill and there were a ton of "pot holes" everywhere in the field. I don't know if the Reniasance people were "digging and squatting" or what [LOL] but they were everywhere. I twisted my ankle tearing down racks!
I'm posting a pic of the field--you can see-right in the center- is a "castle" that is a permanent structure used for the Renaissance event. Also, at the top of the field you can see a wall of cement "Jersey Barriers"...the 8" and larger guns are placed behind there as well as any finale
salute racks.
It would be great if they did return to PA.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4420&stc=1

Robbro097
08-21-2019, 12:19 PM
If they return to pa i will b going to that event i see so many awesome vids from pgi and yet iv never been

PyroKing31
08-21-2019, 12:28 PM
If its within a 10 hour drive of me I will go, hard to do more than that right now.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-21-2019, 05:56 PM
I hate to keep sounding like the PGI poster boy, but.... If you're a pyro and if you're serious about the hobby, you just have to go to these events. Maybe not PGI. Maybe some other pyro event that helps you further your skills in this hobby. The PGI has many issues and lord knows they likely will not be solved in my lifetime. Having said that, they have more to offer me than they do to detract me. So I'm going to remain a member unless/until that changes.

The fact that we're all on this site tells me we're serious about the hobby and want to learn. But sometimes you need to get your hands dirty to take your game to the next level. How many of us will get the opportunity to build a 6" double petal ball shell, just by sitting at home on their computer?

jknepp1954
08-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Just got back from the PGI convention in Gillette, Wyoming last night. What a trip. I wasn't able to do any posting while ....
Next year we're back in Fargo from 8-15 August. For 2021 they're looking at Oshkosh, Wi, La Port, In, or someplace else I can't remember at the moment. Been a long week folks, sorry. I'll get the info posted soon.
I hope they do go to one of these. Butler or REading was mentioned? I highly doubt they go back to Butler as Joe has said - nice place but alot of drawbacks as well. REading? They had a club shoot of about 20 people for a few hour open shoot - the folks were NOT happy i am told.! They - REading are in the process of doing ALOT of legal laws to higly restrict any type of fireworks there - other thanthe regular shows that has been going on for years/ Don't sound they want to roll out the carpet for a 1 day event let alone a 7 day free for all! :(

PyroGyro
08-21-2019, 06:49 PM

The PGI website is ugly and screams amaterur website created 20 years ago. The fact that they don't have an online membership application that can be paid by credit card is ridiculous too.

jknepp1954
08-21-2019, 07:50 PM
The PGI website is ugly and screams amaterur website created 20 years ago. The fact that they don't have an online membership application that can be paid by credit card is ridiculous too.

3 years ago when planning for Laporte - I paid online. or i think i at least had the option to pay online or download and snail mail out.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-21-2019, 08:02 PM

Well, the good news is, they now have a new website. The bad news is, it's as useless as the last one. Still no e-commerce solution. Still no way to renew your membership online or register for the convention. But it looks nicer than the last one! Someone told me they have $100K invested in the website already. I hope that was tongue-in-cheek.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-21-2019, 08:02 PM
3 years ago when planning for Laporte - I paid online. or i think i at least had the option to pay online or download and snail mail out.

You were able to join online, but you couldn't renew online or pay for the convention. That's was all done snail-mail or e-mail. Now, you can't even join online. So they're going backwards. :confused:

displayfireworks1
08-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Rick_In_Tampa. I want to thank you for your accurate and honest summary of the most recent PGI convention. So much for all of that energy the APA put forward a few years back trying to stop that flow of overloaded fireworks sales at the convention. I would love to hear what vendor that was selling to a person with a fake membership card. This sort of thing with a membership card happened years back when someone dam near killed themselves making a big flash bomb using someone else's membership card. Also its not the first time someone in the general public audience jumping the fence and making a purchase. Only last time , they jumped the fence and they were underage. Rick it sounds like you had a great time at the convention. For now the PGI is all we have for the amateur fireworks enthusiast, I just wish they would replace a few of the people in the secondary leadership roles. No matter what officers get elected this middle level volunteer group still manages to hang on, that is why nothing changes. It is a tough job for very little if any compensation. For now, its all we have for the fireworks enthusiast.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the future of Cobra-Con will be. As fireworks enthusiast we now look , behave, and make purchases more like a fireworks display company than we do like the past enthusiast making our own fireworks and buying chemicals and tubes.

FruitLeups
08-22-2019, 11:14 AM
One lucky family is getting a new house compliments of PGI because we put a 12lb rocket through their roof and into their kitchen during opening ceremonies night last Saturday. From what I was told it not only "remodeled" their kitchen, it took out all of the "support structure" holding up the rest of the house.

In the high-power rocketry hobby, our safety code (and insurance) dictates that if there are any "occupied structures" within the minimum safe distance radius (1500'+ for the larger rockets), they must be evacuated before a flight can be initiated. Since there was no mention of anyone being in that home, I'm guessing PGI has similar requirements and they had already been evacuated?

Rick_In_Tampa
08-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Finally had some time to sit down, piece together some show videos, and upload them to You Tube. So here are the shows from the big night on Friday.

The Grand Public Display by Innovative Pyrotechnic Concepts using Dominator products.

https://youtu.be/0iQ94v61MNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQ94v61MNE&amp;feature=youtu.be

The 36" shell shot from a mile away.

The Big Sky Fireworks show.

https://youtu.be/Pm_mfdfJJ1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_mfdfJJ1E&amp;feature=youtu.be
The Grucci Pyrotechnics show.

https://youtu.be/vXTmqXmfs7Y

I've got a boatload more to crunch and upload. I'll get to them as time permits. These are the "big ones" though. The GPD show is probably the best show I've seen. Period. The choreography and Dominator effects were simply spectacular. Let me know what you think!

Fulliautomatix
08-23-2019, 11:11 PM
You've got the same link twice for the GPD and 36" shell... this is the 36" shell video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6zOnum0NM

That was pretty far away, I'm sure for safety purposes. Must have been pretty cool for anyone a little closer, maybe half the distance away.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-24-2019, 12:51 AM
You've got the same link twice for the GPD and 36" shell... this is the 36" shell video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6zOnum0NM

That was pretty far away, I'm sure for safety purposes. Must have been pretty cool for anyone a little closer, maybe half the distance away.

Crap... Sorry about that. Thanks for keeping me straight. :)

Rick_In_Tampa
08-24-2019, 01:03 AM
Rick_In_Tampa. I want to thank you for your accurate and honest summary of the most recent PGI convention. So much for all of that energy the APA put forward a few years back trying to stop that flow of overloaded fireworks sales at the convention. I would love to hear what vendor that was selling to a person with a fake membership card. This sort of thing with a membership card happened years back when someone dam near killed themselves making a big flash bomb using someone else's membership card. Also its not the first time someone in the general public audience jumping the fence and making a purchase. Only last time , they jumped the fence and they were underage. Rick it sounds like you had a great time at the convention. For now the PGI is all we have for the amateur fireworks enthusiast, I just wish they would replace a few of the people in the secondary leadership roles. No matter what officers get elected this middle level volunteer group still manages to hang on, that is why nothing changes. It is a tough job for very little if any compensation. For now, its all we have for the fireworks enthusiast.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the future of Cobra-Con will be. As fireworks enthusiast we now look , behave, and make purchases more like a fireworks display company than we do like the past enthusiast making our own fireworks and buying chemicals and tubes.

Dave - It's truly my pleasure. I love the conventions. Not because the leadership does such a great job running them, usually it's despite what the leadership does. I get that it's no small feat to pull off organizing and running a convention like this. Especially when we're talking about pyrotechnics. There's always going to be an issue or two. However, there are some things that are just too easy to fix that they shouldn't be chronic issues. Like having a functioning e-commerce website. As for the overloaded fireworks... I'm not sure who made the final decision to allow juiced items to be brought into the convention, let alone sanctioning their use on the C line, but I think that's a big mistake. When/if someone gets hurt (or worse) maybe then they will put and end to it once and for all. All of that crap should be shot on the B line. Simple fix. We'll see. Maybe next year right? Lol.. Doubt it. In the mean time I'm going to keep going. I love helping out in all the areas. The more I do the more I learn. That's what it's about for me. My "reward" is being able to sit underneath some of the best pyro shows on the planet! This year the willows were literally raining down on us. I loved every minute of it! You can see it in the videos I posted. I'm uploading another batch now. I'll post the (correct) links shortly.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-24-2019, 01:19 AM
In the high-power rocketry hobby, our safety code (and insurance) dictates that if there are any "occupied structures" within the minimum safe distance radius (1500'+ for the larger rockets), they must be evacuated before a flight can be initiated. Since there was no mention of anyone being in that home, I'm guessing PGI has similar requirements and they had already been evacuated?

One of our Safety team guys told me they set up these two rockets in the wrong place. Again.. It's not what I oversee, and I don't know anything about rockets or how they work. So take that with a grain of salt. As for the house... It was empty because the family was sitting outside watching our show! Thank God they were outside or else it could have been a huge disaster for them and the PGI. I'm told they actually saw the rocket coming at them but obviously, there wasn't anything they could do but watch it hit their house.

Here's the local account of what happened: https://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/news/local/article_61d27b2f-4413-5a6f-8225-8ab358d18f92.html

Rick_In_Tampa
08-24-2019, 01:27 AM
Okay... Here are the shows from Tuesday night:

Class C Competition Show 1

https://youtu.be/KmNAKJgdeEY

Class C Competition Show 2 (The winner!)

https://youtu.be/7A2zckJO554

AM Pyro Fire Dance Show

https://youtu.be/LyOtT3UEYgk

XFS & Starfire Productions Show

https://youtu.be/vA5PLsIJ-8k

pyroboom
08-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Well, the good news is, they now have a new website. The bad news is, it's as useless as the last one. Still no e-commerce solution. Still no way to renew your membership online or register for the convention. But it looks nicer than the last one! Someone told me they have $100K invested in the website already. I hope that was tongue-in-cheek.

I offered to do the their website will full integration of membership online about 6 years ago. They blew me off.

PyroGyro
08-25-2019, 08:37 AM
I offered to do the their website will full integration of membership online about 6 years ago. They blew me off.

Sounds like they need new leadership. From an outsiders perspective, it seems like they do some things well but growing the hobby/membership and modernizing is not their strong suit. If the entire leadership is a bunch of old guys, that's a problem. They should be bringing in some younger guys with more energy and technical skills.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-25-2019, 03:37 PM

They have done the same thing with us for the past 3 years now. I think it's just a question of them not understanding what we're trying to tell them. It's like explaining quantum-physics to a 5 year old. They smile and nod the whole time, but you can tell they have no idea what you're talking about.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Sounds like they need new leadership. From an outsiders perspective, it seems like they do some things well but growing the hobby/membership and modernizing is not their strong suit. If the entire leadership is a bunch of old guys, that's a problem. They should be bringing in some younger guys with more energy and technical skills.

I don't know that the entire leadership needs to go, but they certainly need to make some changes on the communications side. The man who's running things now is well intentioned, but I don't know that he has the vision required to take the guild out of the 20th century and bring us into the new millennium and beyond. The "new" website is a great example. It looks better than the old one, but it's even less helpful than the old one. Hopefully they will be getting a ton of feedback letting them know how disappointing it is.

PyroKing31
08-26-2019, 03:50 PM
As a new guy, I got on the website, was going to join pay the dues and saw the analog form requiring mail and immediately started to question the legitimacy of the organization. Its 2019, it really put me off. For now I'll hang out here.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Here are a few more videos. I'm getting to them slowly but surly!

Pyro Spectacular Show

https://youtu.be/_vJOPd5_i9s

JPA Show

https://youtu.be/X7fgYxrp3tk

PORC Babydoll Dance Show

https://youtu.be/TAMcDdOdQKQ

Opening Ground Salute Show

https://youtu.be/klj0pnCWjcw

Tour of Gillette Shoot Site

https://youtu.be/fCF_Uylkppk

More to come....

topshelfpyro
08-27-2019, 01:32 PM
As a new guy, I got on the website, was going to join pay the dues and saw the analog form requiring mail and immediately started to question the legitimacy of the organization. Its 2019, it really put me off. For now I'll hang out here.

ya'll know there are still businesses that don't take credit cards only cash. Everyone hasn't caught up to technology or is not will to spend the cost of said tech. Tech is expensive. 2-3% may not seem like much to an individual but take that and multiply by 1000's and its a big expense. Websites and the back end of full e-commerce is expensive as well comparatively

Rick_In_Tampa
08-27-2019, 03:50 PM
The PGI has about 2200 members. They take in $200G a year. I'm told by a long time member that they have already spent "tens of thousands" on a new website. I have no idea where this new site is, but I'm not seeing it. I can go on Go Daddy and for $29.99 a month I can build a fully functioning e-commerce website by the end of the day. Today! I have talked to people in the guild; and one former member posted in this thread; that they were willing to build them one for free, but they were ignored. So this isn't about money. It's about understanding the need.

I'm glad Pyroking31 posted what he did. I've been talking to the head communications guy for PGI. I copied and pasted Pyroking's post into an e-mail to the PGI communications guy. I asked him to share it with the board. My hope is they will use it as motivation to get the website modernized sooner rather than later.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Here's a link to the "super nuke" gas mine they set off at PGI this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlCmM3krDa0

FruitLeups
08-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Here's a link to the "super nuke" gas mine they set off at PGI this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlCmM3krDa0

In the ancient words of Eddie Murphy, "Now DAT'S a fire!"

Rick_In_Tampa
08-29-2019, 05:10 PM

I spoke with one of the PGI Board members this morning. I told him we need to get a functional website up ASAP. I told him people are put off when they can't do things via the website, and are instead asked to use hard copy forms and snail-mail.

The Board member told me they have had issues with web development companies bailing on them and never producing the end product. Another webmaster decided to quit and he refused to give them the passwords to the website. So long story short, they started from scratch and they are rolling out the new website in stages. The reason you see a new website without the ability to join or register for conference is, they didn't want to roll that capability out right before the convention, and then potentially deal with a cluster if there were issues with the site. Fine. I get that. Makes sense to me. The Board member told me they will be rolling that capability out very soon. After that they will be adding features after they are comfortable everything is working as advertised.

The sense I got from this Board member is that they are as frustrated as we are, and this time, they're going to move heaven and earth to make sure this thing gets done, and done right. So we'll see. Time will tell.

For what it's worth...

PyroKing31
08-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Rick,

I appreciate you digging into this, that is the type of effort that makes me want to join PGI. Members willing to go the distance for someone new. You don't know me yet you took the time and effort to look into it. I appreciate it.

Having some context on the why makes it more relate-able, but something about that process or work in progress should be on the site somewhere. Gives someone a reason to check back. I'm a reasonable and understanding person, I also understand that the convention was soon and that takes a ton of man power and priority.

Hopefully they get things turned around. Some of us folks don't even have printers at home anymore! What a concept.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-29-2019, 06:16 PM
Lol... Yeah, the PGI is awesome at pyro, but terrible at IT. I'm happy to get involved to help out the pyro community. If I can help you, I'm also helping myself. That's how I look at it anyway.

IT issues aside... If you're really into learning about new facets of the hobby, I would strongly encourage you (and everyone else!) to join. There are 2200+ people in the PGI. 1750 of them showed up to the convention. Obviously, the vast majority of them are not there to work or get involved in the behind the scenes politics. They just want to take classes, attend workshops, and watch great shows. So you really don't need to aggravate yourself with the BS if all you're interested in doing is having fun and learning. Me... I love it all. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. But like I said. If I can help you, I'm also helping myself. That's what I enjoy doing. :cool:

Okay... I'll shut up now. lol..

Deanbc
08-29-2019, 09:42 PM
That was Awesome!

PyroGyro
09-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Finally had some time to sit down, piece together some show videos, and upload them to You Tube. So here are the shows from the big night on Friday.

The Grand Public Display by Innovative Pyrotechnic Concepts using Dominator products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQ94v61MNE&feature=youtu.be

The 36" shell shot from a mile away.

The Big Sky Fireworks show.

https://youtu.be/Pm_mfdfJJ1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_mfdfJJ1E&feature=youtu.be
The Grucci Pyrotechnics show.

https://youtu.be/vXTmqXmfs7Y

I've got a boatload more to crunch and upload. I'll get to them as time permits. These are the "big ones" though. The GPD show is probably the best show I've seen. Period. The choreography and Dominator effects were simply spectacular. Let me know what you think!

That GPD show is the best I've ever seen. I think it's better than the shows done in Boston at the hatchshell. I've seen the Boston show up close twice and and it's great but honestly it's a lot of sky puke and is not as artful as that GPD show. I can only imagine how much better it was seeing this live.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Even though the video is blurry?? :confused:

Just busting your chops!

Yes... The show was awesome. Many of the long time members said it was the best show they've seen in many years. It was amazing to watch from our vantage point. Very much looking forward to next years festivities. We already have our hotel room booked for Fargo!!

I did get an e-mail from You Tube saying my Grucci video was blocked in the USA because of the music. So I'm surprised you were able to view it.