PDA

View Full Version : ATF Inspection & Interview Today

IndianaPH
08-15-2019, 02:02 PM
I can't believe how fast this has proceeded so far. I converted a Ridgid Job Box into a Type IV indoor magazine at the end of July and then applied for my Type 54 license. I mailed my application in on 07/29 and the application fee cleared my bank on 08/05. I received a call yesterday and had my interview this morning. The agent was extremely professional and helpful.

Because it's in my nature, and after reading Bazerk's posts about building his magazine, I included pictures and specifications of the job box, knock out plugs, liner material and locks that I used for the magazine in addition to a few other things with my application. He appreciated it. All of the information I provided answered any of the questions that he would have had for me. We went into my detached shop and he looked at my magazine for about a minute, took a picture, and then we went in the house for the interview. If he didn't have trouble connecting his computer, I'm guessing that the entire process could have taken less than 30 minutes. He didn't have an immediate answer to a couple of questions that I had and he said he would get back to me.

I told him that I had already contacted the local fire department and have a letter ready to send them to satisfy the requirement of 27 CFR 555.201(f). He asked for their information and I just gave him a copy of the letter and wrote the Fire Chief's phone numbers on it for him.

I already had a three ring binder put together with a print out of the orange book (he provided me with another copy), safety information, spreadsheets I made for Daily Summary of Magazine Transactions and weekly inspections and theft forms. For my weekly inspection forms, I made a spreadsheet with a spot for the date and then had three questions that had spots to circle for yes or no to answer the questions. He seemed to like the form and said it would work fine.

Before he left, he gave me his direct number and mobile number and said to contact him with any questions. One thing I noticed is at the top of my application on his computer was a countdown timer. My quick math in my head determined it looked like it was counting down the 90 days from which I applied for my license. He verified that is what it is and said they start getting reminders as the counter approaches 0.

So, I now have ATF stickers on my magazine and am waiting for my blue envelopes to show up in the mail. In Indiana, we have to get a magazine permit from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security. I had already contacted them and they want the magazine approved by the ATF before the state will issue a permit. Since it is now approved, I sent in the state permit application.

Thanks to all that have posted about getting their license as it has answered a lot of my questions and encouraged me to apply for mine!!

Arclight
08-15-2019, 02:22 PM
They are very quick, I submitted around the same time, and almost had to withdraw my application because I wasn't finished renovating my used magazines. Luckily, the agent worked with me and we have an inspection date that I can meet that is still within their 90 day window.

This is much different than what some people have reported regarding specialty firearms paperwork and licenses, which sometimes take months.

displayfireworks1
08-15-2019, 08:13 PM
At IndianPH, first off, thank you for reporting your observations on the ATF software program. I did not know how the date of application going forward countdown worked on the software. Valuable information for us as advancing fireworks enthusiast. It sounds like you are well organized and anticipated in advance what is needed. Looking back I was so glad when forums member Bezerk posted those pictures and information out of Florida , I knew it would help and inspire fireworks enthusiast in the future. I want to thank him for that.
Its funny how the ATF handles this state approval and/or involvement on these explosive/fireworks storage. Some states want to the ATF to sign off first and other states the ATF want the state to sign off first. I see you are in the state of Indiana, how many miles are you from Chicago? No need to give exact location, just miles. Also , do you feel comfortable posting pictures of your magazine? Be great if you would. Have trouble posting them email them to me at pyrotalk@gmail.com . If you already posted them , sorry if I missed it.

IndianaPH
08-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Dave, the countdown was a pretty neat thing to see. He said they will start getting reminders that deadline for the application is running out.

To answer your question, I'm approximately 250 miles from Chicago. I'm actually, what I would consider, close to Lynch and Casabella as well as at least two other 1.3 suppliers.

I posted pictures and details of my magazine in this post: Mailed Application Today & Have A Couple of Questions (http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?7465-Mailed-Application-Today-amp-Have-A-Couple-of-Questions&highlight=application+today+couple+questions)

Here is my magazine:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4331&stc=1

Mattp
08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
great job!! congrats on getting both at once.. thanks for all the info too.. is that a spray on rubber liner???

IndianaPH
08-16-2019, 10:45 AM
great job!! congrats on getting both at once.. thanks for all the info too.. is that a spray on rubber liner???

Thanks Mattp! No, it's not spray on. I thought about taking it and having it sprayed, but I ended up going with a Herculiner kit from Amazon and did it my self. Here is the link: Herculiner One Gallon Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TDUW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I ended up going with the gallon kit, as this is a 60" box, not the 48" that others have used and got by with the smaller (I think quart) kit. I had some left over, but not much.

cherrybomb1
08-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Congratulations on everything moving along so fast!.my interview was all of 3 hours after he would read a section I would have to initial saying I understood what he told me.im out in Gillette Wyoming at the PGI convention but when I get back too Illinois I'll post some pics of a job box I just finished up before coming out here...its one of those big piano hinged types I picked up free at work...this is my second one but I'm going to get one more before I have the ATF come out to inspect them...once you start making some 1.3 purchases you'll realize 50lbs is not a whole lot...I had Casabella Pyro bring out a case each of 4" 5" and 6" shells for me too shoot off at the convention and the composition weight came to 58.50 lbs

displayfireworks1
08-17-2019, 07:38 PM
At cherrybomb1 Curious if your ATF Inspector came out of that Chicago office? They were cracking hard on trying to stop illegal sales of 1.3 in that greater Chicago geographic area. When I was there over the July 4th holiday week, you can hear 1.3 product ,in particular salutes popping sporadically. There are a few mom and pop types fireworks stores in that area that do some back room sales. The back room stuff does not have importer ID. Unfortunately this makes it a little more difficult for those trying to do it legal and it get licensed. For those new reading this ,please note, it does not stop the licensing process or change the requirements. It just makes the ATF more cautious of new applicants in that area.
Also for someone new reading this, most 1.3 receipts of purchase itemized the total weight and pyro weight for each product and total it up when the purchase is finalized. I believe most of these distributors are running the same or very similar software.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Way to go PH!! Glad to hear everything went quickly and smoothly for you. All of that pre-planning and documentation really makes a difference.

cherrybomb1
08-19-2019, 12:56 AM
Dave he was out of the Downers Grove office...stones throw from Chicago if you have a strong arm.nice inspector I just thought that’s what everyone went through on there interview... he said in 3 years it would be the same thing.On a side note I’m getting ready to re apply for my concealed carry and there saying that’s taking up to 3 months because of the guy that killed people in the HR office and one guy out in the factory after found out he was fired.

Crush630
08-19-2019, 11:32 AM
At cherrybomb1 Curious if your ATF Inspector came out of that Chicago office? They were cracking hard on trying to stop illegal sales of 1.3 in that greater Chicago geographic area. When I was there over the July 4th holiday week, you can hear 1.3 product ,in particular salutes popping sporadically. There are a few mom and pop types fireworks stores in that area that do some back room sales. The back room stuff does not have importer ID. Unfortunately this makes it a little more difficult for those trying to do it legal and it get licensed. For those new reading this ,please note, it does not stop the licensing process or change the requirements. It just makes the ATF more cautious of new applicants in that area.
Also for someone new reading this, most 1.3 receipts of purchase itemized the total weight and pyro weight for each product and total it up when the purchase is finalized. I believe most of these distributors are running the same or very similar software.

The ATF, IL DNR, and State Fire Marshal held a "workshop" a few weeks before the 4th in Naperville. I felt its a put a face to name type of deal....There is a rather large problem of 1.3 product all over Chicago.

IndianaPH
08-21-2019, 12:21 PM
I just wanted to follow up and say that I applied for my Indiana Magazine permit last week after I received my magazine approval from the ATF. Indiana requires you to get ATF approval for your magazine first, then apply for your Indiana magazine permit. The permit application is online on the Indiana Department of Homeland Security's website, but after you finish the application and make the payment, the system is a little vague on the next step. When I was researching the Indiana magazine permit earlier this summer, I emailed the general information link about magazine questions they have on their website with a question or two about the process. The local inspector responded to my question, so I had his email address. So, I emailed him yesterday to see what the next step was. He emailed me right back and said he just received the application the day before and wanted to know if he could stop by today for the inspection. Of course, I said yes and met with him this morning. He already had the permit printed out and just needed to verify everything before having me sign a form and handing me the permit. The Indiana magazine permit is only good for one year, so I need to mark the renewal date on my calendar. The inspector said they have a system that is supposed to send out reminders for the renewal, but that I should not count on it working correctly.

So, just waiting for the blue envelopes in the mail and I should be all set from a licensing standpoint. Now I just need to figure out how many mortar racks I need to build, how much Cobra equipment to purchase on Black Friday, start plans for a larger magazine . . .

This should keep me busy for a while.