PDA

View Full Version : What?s the max powder for a preloaded tube?

upNdown
08-12-2019, 03:53 PM
My buddy finally grabbed one of these preloaded tubes - it?s a Winda #5000 tube, appears to be 3 inches. More of a curiosity than anything else. At $10, it seems like a stupid ripoff, when you can get 24 canister shells for $60.
But my question is, how much powder is in this thing? I know cannisters max out at 60g, and I‘ve read ball shells max out at 45g. I assume their’s a ball shell in there, but for $10, I’d hope it?s an impressive one.

topshelfpyro
08-12-2019, 06:06 PM
still 60g

PyroJoeNEPA
08-12-2019, 07:22 PM
still 60 grams--BUT in a bigger ball shell--usually a 2 1/2" ball--which gives you a much more symmetrical break than any canister shell will give you. The larger shell allows for a slightly larger size star [still keeping in the weight allowances] which will burn slightly longer and appear to give a much larger break.

upNdown
08-12-2019, 08:53 PM
So since even the best NOABs (like wacky tobacky, for example) are maxed out at 500g/9 = 55.5g per shot, a tube like this should, theoretically, be the best shot on the consumer 1.4 non pro-line market?

I’d like to think so, at that cost. But you certainly don’t always get what you pay for, and no matter how good it is, I can’t see it justifying its $10 retail price tag.
I look forward to it though. Hopefully I’ll get it on film, right after a 60g can.

jamisonlm3
08-12-2019, 09:21 PM
still 60 grams--BUT in a bigger ball shell--usually a 2 1/2" ball--which gives you a much more symmetrical break than any canister shell will give you. The larger shell allows for a slightly larger size star [still keeping in the weight allowances] which will burn slightly longer and appear to give a much larger break.I've always wondered about that. I've see videos of several cut open with larger than 1.75" shells, but after that shell's cut open, it's just a regular 1.75" shell inside. Personally, I think the nicer 500g cakes, noabs and single shots are all just very well made 1.75" shells.

PyroManiacs
08-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Someone should cut one of these open and weigh it.

Mississippipyro
08-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Someone should cut one of these open and weigh it.
I have some I can cut open this weekend, will post results

Chubbles
08-13-2019, 08:13 AM
I sometimes wish they had to list the actual amount. It's just the max amount. A "500 gram" cake could actually have 300. Sometimes you can get an idea about cakes by looking if you're in a store. Forget about canisters. The online research is exausting. It's just my rant. Sorry for venting.

PyroManiacs
08-13-2019, 09:14 AM
It's just my rant. Sorry for venting.

Feel free, my man. No apologies needed.

upNdown
08-13-2019, 10:54 AM
I have some I can cut open this weekend, will post results
I’d like to see that. I’ve seen plenty of cut open videos, but I can’t recall seeing one of these big tubes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an actual 3 inch shell in there, but I also wouldn’t be shocked to see a fake 3 inch shell with a 1.5!inch shell inside of it.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Here is a dissection of a ball from a NOAB--I know we are talking about single shot tubes--but it is the same with both:
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4397&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4398&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4399&stc=1

PyroManiacs
08-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Thanks Joe...I must say that, honestly...this should be perceived as fraud and should be considered an illegal trade practice.

Mattp
08-13-2019, 11:40 AM
problem is..they're not lying.. there is a 3" shell in there..although its filled like those russian dolls, inside a doll, inside a doll..LOL.. and there is a few videos on youtube of people cutting them open and weighing the components.. cant remember who.. but i've definitely seen them before... i know they are misrepresented as 3".. and have the same compound limits/ and are overpriced... but they do seem to give the nicest breaks you can get in a consumer product... noabs and single shots...but its also crazy that an actual 3" 1.3g shell cost about 5$ a piece.. or even less

jamisonlm3
08-13-2019, 01:04 PM
I sometimes wish they had to list the actual amount. It's just the max amount. A "500 gram" cake could actually have 300. Sometimes you can get an idea about cakes by looking if you're in a store. Forget about canisters. The online research is exausting. It's just my rant. Sorry for venting.Depending on the way a cake is made, it can have up to 200g or up to 500g. What are you trying to find out about canister shells? There's loads of weighing videos for them.

problem is..they're not lying.. there is a 3" shell in there..although its filled like those russian dolls, inside a doll, inside a doll..LOL.. and there is a few videos on youtube of people cutting them open and weighing the components.. cant remember who.. but i've definitely seen them before... i know they are misrepresented as 3".. and have the same compound limits/ and are overpriced... but they do seem to give the nicest breaks you can get in a consumer product... noabs and single shots...but its also crazy that an actual 3" 1.3g shell cost about 5$ a piece.. or even lessThe only person that I know of who's cut them open is the The Crazies. He's cut open cakes and other stuff too. Like I said earlier, I think they're just really well made ball shells. They're small, but well made. If only we could get that quality of shell in a reloadable.

Wholesale Fireworks
08-13-2019, 02:49 PM
We still have some cakes like that but the majority of the AFW items are made smaller so you do not have all the extra paper involved in the manufacturing process. Our 9 shot cakes are made with the 1.75 inch shells and do not have the additional waste. Our motto is "Pay for Pyro and not for Paper" Most consumers however think that the items must not be as good because they are smaller. IN FACT...they are better.
ALSO the max powder weight on a single shot item as questioned above is 60g. That 60g includes ALL pyrotechnic comp - Fuse, Lift charge, timing fuse, break charge and effect.
hope that helps

upNdown
08-13-2019, 03:04 PM
We still have some cakes like that but the majority of the AFW items are made smaller so you do not have all the extra paper involved in the manufacturing process. Our 9 shot cakes are made with the 1.75 inch shells and do not have the additional waste. Our motto is "Pay for Pyro and not for Paper" Most consumers however think that the items must not be as good because they are smaller. IN FACT...they are better.
ALSO the max powder weight on a single shot item as questioned above is 60g. That 60g includes ALL pyrotechnic comp - Fuse, Lift charge, timing fuse, break charge and effect.
hope that helps
That does help, thanks. A related, followup question - Do you know if there's a max size for shells inside consumer products? Is it 1.75? We've all seen videos of 3" NOAB's being cut open, only to find a shell within a shell. My question is - are all 1.4 cakes and tubes necessarily the same (with the shell within a shell trick,) or are there some 1.4 cakes or tubes that could legally be loaded with a shell bigger than 1.75?

Wholesale Fireworks
08-13-2019, 04:12 PM
That does help, thanks. A related, followup question - Do you know if there's a max size for shells inside consumer products? Is it 1.75? We've all seen videos of 3" NOAB's being cut open, only to find a shell within a shell. My question is - are all 1.4 cakes and tubes necessarily the same (with the shell within a shell trick,) or are there some 1.4 cakes or tubes that could legally be loaded with a shell bigger than 1.75?

1.75 is the industry standard. Could there be someone making a 2.0 shell? yes but 1.75 is the max. You will see items ( we carry some) that will say they have 2.0 inch tubes. The 2 inch is the O.D so the actual shell is only 1.75" Great questions and please feel free to ask if you have any others. A well informed consumer is the best consumer and better for the whole industry. It makes our skin crawl when we hear about others trying to tell a customer something that isn't true.

pyroelf
08-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Thank you very much Wholesale Fireworks for the information.

Mississippipyro
08-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Our motto is "Pay for Pyro and not for Paper"
hope that helps
I like your motto, looking forward to some AFW purchases in the spring.

Wholesale Fireworks
08-14-2019, 09:13 AM
I like your motto, looking forward to some AFW purchases in the spring.

Thank you. Just remember there are suddenly a lot of OTHER companies using OUR name. So to get AFW product from THE Wholesale Fireworks...be sure to go to http://www.wfboom.com

tmwjr
08-14-2019, 09:54 PM
The wfboom 9 shot cakes with 2 inch tubes are fantastic tho. Nice high symmetrical breaks with nice effects. They are priced well with the discount too. They outperform the typical reloadable ball shell.

Robbro097
08-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Afw night breaker is 1 of if not my favorite cake huge high long lasting breaks very highly recommended

Kooooou
08-20-2019, 01:09 AM
The last time I cut open a few #300 and #500 shells was back in the early 2000's. They were true 2.5" and 3" shells and one was even plastic. Inside the shells were a decent amount of pyro comp, and a whole lot of rice hulls, plus room to add more if you were creative. I'm guessing rice hulls didn't count towards the 60g limit based on what I saw.